FSLabs takes DRM a step further, by stealing Chrome Passwords.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by TheDeeGee, Feb 19, 2018.

1. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    As usual people jump the gun...why shouldn't companies take drastic measures to protect there income, if people didnt pirate then there would not be the need for it.

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Jee, I gotta start killing people when I am in bad mood. Same logic.

It's not about what situation company put in, it's about how can it manage itself.

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Even if we dodge the whole privacy and safety issues of what they did, why are they treating honest consumers in such a heavy handed manner, would you be happy to be accused of being a pirate until a games company can come over to your house and look through your PC contents before they class you as honest, it's not supposed to work that way, consumers who support the industry always seem to be the ones who are forced to jump through the hoops when in fact as supporters they should be having the best possible experience.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This is not a "drastic measure". If I had purchased an add-on from FSLabs and found such a file on my PC, I'd be contacting my lawyer, local law enforcement and the FBI. Whether someone pirated their work or not, their reaction is criminal in nature. For those that allow Chrome to store passwords, their account information is being put at risk. If it's dumping all accounts/passwords stored, that may include financial websites, which is now a completely different set of criminal charges. From what I've seen thus far, FSLabs is nothing but a criminal organization at this point.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    DRM sure, protection the content they're creating is one thing and understandable but what sort of protection requires dumping the Chrome browser password database though. It's unrelated to the game and addon content entirely plus it's not valid evidence due to questionable (Or outright illegal.) means by which it was obtained so in that aspect it's useless as well. Feels more like this was done for other reasons and they're trying to cover it up but it's not really going very well for them unsurprisingly.

Going by the discussion I read on ResetEra on this yesterday they've had other methods as well such as messing with folders on the users system and messing up texture addons for one thing which also goes beyond simple DRM and into malware.

EDIT: From that Reddit thread, now there's a Frack-Up alright.

(That bolded part at the end about the lack of encryption, and a firewall. That's a huge problem.)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  6. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    Whats next? Developers go full retard, and hijack the computer to mine some crypto currency as a reparation for pirated games?

Keitosha likes this.
  7. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    in FSL's part, they think vigilante measures will be admissible in court, when infact, the case will turn right back at them the moment they clarify how they identified the defendant. Right now , any and all measures they take will be like rock climbing on mossy slopes with hard boots

8. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    after reading their statements, its like they're literally saying, TAKE ME TO JAIL, I'm guilty AF

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I just wonder that none of those people using these programs knows / is an attourney to take them to court right away.

10. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    with an iQ of 20, one can imagine their privacy was compromised if someone knows their Personal Identification Information without them consenting to it

11. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Doing illegal things to ensure profit is well by definition not legal and immoral.

An over-exaggerated but valid example would be me holding a gun to your head and telling you to buy my mixtape.

TheDeeGee and fantaskarsef like this.
  12. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    does this affect Chrome autofill?

13. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Random guy: what did you do yesterday?
    FSLabs: nothing much. Steal account details from pirates, log into their accounts on some sites, take a few screenshots as evidence. You know, the usual stuff we have been doing in the last few months.
    Lawyer: Dude! You can't do that! It's so uncool!

14. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    The funniest thing is that they didn't even try to hide/cover their "test.exe" file. Ignorance or purposely?

At least they could had rename it to "DRMcheck.exe" and made it FUD... :p

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018