Fsb ?? Amd64 3000+/k8ns/pc3200

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by drwngflies, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Lostfaith

Lostfaith Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTS 320MB SC // X1250
    try putting it "as stock as possible", as in:
    -load defaults in bios (you already tried to see if there's some good modded bioses/newer bioses? they helped me a lot back then when I was stuck at 182FSB, and bios updates gave me 207fsb on the exact same setup with my gigabyte)
    -try resetting cmos and see if it boots at correct speeds with & without tweaking in bios
    -do NOT use easytune... maybe it is better to uninstall it altogether.

- run the 200mhz HTT/RAM exactly with 2.5-3-3-8 & 1T(commandrate) timings and try to avoid running a divider at all costs.

-run 3dmark2001 for comparison as 3dmark2005 is almost purely GFX-card limited. try to compare your 2001 score with a similar setup 3000+/6600gt (also same ram setup as lower latencies(better timings) can bring the score up quite a bit).

2. drwngflies

drwngflies Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260
    Thnx Lostfaith, I'll try tonight with your advice. (been busy with school last couple of days)
    I did uninstall the EasyTune already, and now I have a little (dangerous) knowledge of BIOS, I'll use that.
    I have to dwnld the 3Dmark01, but I'll return later tonight with input.
    Thnx 4 not givin' up on me and my gaming......... LOL

3. drwngflies

drwngflies Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260
    OkeeDokee.... EZ enuff:
    Went to BIOS, reset to optimized defults, and it reset it to a better combo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is a good start. went right into Windows at 200Mhz. NP
    Thanks Lostfaith, you a godsend. Now I can focus on Tweaking this puppy to perform..... :)
    I'll load up 3DMark01 now and get back 2 U.

4. drwngflies

drwngflies Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260
    I ran the 3Dmark2001 bench, @500/1000 on 6600, but the temps scared me: 96'C peak! Never has my chip got that hot. Even at higher clk speeds.
    [​IMG]
    And a run at 3DMark05 gave me a score of 3416 @500/1000, with a peak temp of 92'C. Still too hot. With old RAM, it peaked out at 86'C.

Last edited: May 21, 2005

5. Lostfaith

Lostfaith Master Guru

GPU:
    one of the reasons I did my mod, the 6600gt's run quite hot, but the thing you're experiencing is probably because of the lower consumption from the overclock, which makes all the rails probably run a bit % higher voltage, and which could feed the gfxcard a tiny bit higher voltage, which would make up for a few % higher temps there.

(also try different drivers, heard good things about the XG-76.44's)

most ppl reported high 6600gt temps, try a pci-slot fan, or even a 3rd party gfx cooler for ur 6600gt, it should run much lower & overclock like crazy at the same time (mine & a few other's did, see my sig's link)

btw, those are not (yet) death temps for a 6600gt core, but better case ventilation should help, and if it's still high, go for a aftermarket cooler mod, like the zalman vf700-cu or the nv silencer 6.

if you're extremely handy and like taking risks try the cpucooler mod, but beware, in all modding cases your warranty will void.

btw the Ras-cas delay at 4 should be able to run at 3 right? (check your ram's spd)

but the technical stuff aside, how does the system feel?

6. drwngflies

drwngflies Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260
    I changed the voltage to RAM from 2.5v to 2.7v, I also changed the RAS to CAS delay to 3. Before I added the new RAM, I changed drivers from the 71.xx series to the 76.44. When I did this, my amb temp dropped 8'C, and my max temp (Riva log) during benches (3DMark05) was only 86'C. After I changed the driver, I replaced the rear exhaust fan (80mm) with a 120mm, and moved the 80mm inside the case by HD, blowing across 6600. This gave me another drop in vid card temps (max) of 2'C. So, when I saw a max of 96'C after, I freaked.
    Even during Rythbll, it only approached 92'C. (with all fan mods)
    I am only running my 6600 at 500/1000, I have run it at 540/1060 with only a max temp of 92'C, during 3DMark05. I couldn't see a difference in gameplay, so I reverted back to lower clk's to preserve card.
    This is fan layout: (not an artist)(the dots by HD are perforations in mounting plate for drive bay,approx 3mm each)
    [​IMG]
    Is there another fan monitor (free?) I can use to check fan speeds? I do not want to re-install EasyTune4 just for that.

Last edited: May 21, 2005
  7. Lostfaith

Lostfaith Master Guru

GPU:
    I mean putting a pci-slot fan, this kind:
    MASSCOOL 4F01B4 Exhauster 110 x 90 x 20 mm Ball Cooling Fan
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835150006

because the expelled hot air from the ambient of the 6600gt hsf has no unobstructed way of getting out the case.
    (the 120mm exhaustfan on the back is on the bareside of the 6600gt where it exhausts only the northbridge/cpu heat).

8. drwngflies

drwngflies Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260
    I looked at the fan you mentioned, but question...
    My AGP is "above" my PCI slots, (fan on underside of 6600), if I add this (under) the vid card, how much heat would it actually evacuate? (I added 120mm after this photo)
    [​IMG]
    Cheap, yes, and worth a try. (more to ship than buy)
    Zallman? considered...

9. FE4R

FE4R Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4850 512MB
    I dont think its worth it. Why? Where is the fresh air coming from to help cool the system? In my opinion all the pci slot fan does is circulate the air withing the case better thats it. I think you should go with the Zalman as the fan on it will basically do the same thing as the pci slot fan AND cool your card. Trust me, the zalman is GREAT. Lowerd my temps ALOT.

10. drwngflies

drwngflies Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260
    Thanks FE4R, I went to store here local, and they don't carry a Zallman for vid cards, just CPU's. I went ahead and replaced the front intake with a 120mm, moved the 80mm over to another open fan mount behind HD. Also moved HD up one notch in mount.
    I created a positive case pressure, I heard this was preferable.
    I'm searching for Zallman on net now.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2005

11. drwngflies

drwngflies Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260
    Checking Zalman's site, the VGA700 is offered for this card. It will overhang 30mm over edge, but I have clearance. But, there was a note about the HSI heatsink being two parts. If the old HSI is combined into one unit, the VGA700 cannot be used. Greatfully, mine is a two-piece unit stock.
    I will opt for the all copper unit. $44.98 shipped.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2005
  12. FE4R

FE4R Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4850 512MB
    You know its funny, when I first got my rig last year december... I thought I'd just get it and that would be the end of it. Since then I have spent an additionaly 100$ at least, nd I need to spend more. (I need a better PSU, plus I might buy another fan..)

13. Lostfaith

Lostfaith Master Guru

GPU:
    Seems you never used a pci-slot fan... and in those cases don't give advice in a "in my opinion" mode :rolleyes:

it's definately worth it, because as I explained already, you have a dead end under the agp-card where air is trapped.
    If fe4r just took the initiative to click my link before giving an opinion he'd see it's purpose:

TO EXHAUST THE HOT AMBIENT AIR FROM THE GFX CARD.

it also serves the same purpose anyone'd put an exhaust fan in the back next to the cpu (the 120mm flies just placed) namely:

AIRFLOW, which means, pulling the cool air over the components instead of letting them suffocate in their own hot used air.

that's why a pci-slot fan is very useful for hot gfx cards.

of course the second part is true, as I myself already adviced flies to get a zalman/nv silencer, but if he does only that, the air will still be trapped in the subspace below the gfx card, and it will run cooler if that hot air is exhausted and cool air passing over the gfx-card hsf.

simple logic, get it?

I heavily recommend putting some sort of active exhaust at the pci-slots if the gfx-card runs hot. only $4.
    if you dare lose the warranty I'd say get the zalman I recommended (watch the weight if you travel a lot!)

14. drwngflies

drwngflies Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260
    Thanks Lostfaith, I will order the Zalman. I found it cheaper than I orig. posted.
    I still need to change the two 120's to oposite places, cause the intake is running faster than the exhaust: (200rpm's). This might help with evacuation.
    When I run HL2/deathmatch, it only gets to 80'C, and CS:S only 82'C,so my temp problems are only showing in benches, not gaming. I also found the PCI exhaust fan here local: $9.99, which is cheaper than if I buy/pay shipping from newegg. It can't hurt, and I don't care about noise, so it will be added also.
    Thanks again for your help. It is always appreciated, (if not followed......he he)
    I just orderd a ZalmanVF700 and a tube of Artic Silver for
    $43.07 shipped. By next weekend I should be "good 2 go".

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  15. Lostfaith

Lostfaith Master Guru

GPU:
    ok, I hope it works out fine for ya, and be very careful not to chip the gpu-core...

and indeed, more exhaust is actually desireable for a case...

16. Crafter

Crafter Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6600GT AGP Core 540 Mem 1080
    I had similar trouble on my Gigabyte K8ns board getting it to boot and be stable at 200FSB and ram set 200. I have kingax ram that does 2.5cas 7,3,3 at 200. The gigabyte 200 fsb seems to actually be 208 FSB and this seem to cause trouble as the 1T and 2T timing on the mem settings don't like this default overclock. If you don't overclock then 1T timing is fine (But the FSB is 208 at 200) so if you have it set to 1T timing then there will be problems. Try setting to 2T timing and 200 Mem and 200 CPU. I found the best combo to be a FSB of 240 and a Ram Ratio of 166 Mhz (Due to the increase in the FSB the Ram speed actually runs at 200)

This way I have a completely stable PC and the benefits of a few hundred Mhz extra :) O.. I increased my Vcore by 0.05 or +-5%. Hope this helps?

17. drwngflies

drwngflies Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260
    Thanks crafter, I'll note the changes you made. I need to focus on cooling before I try to OC. I did manage to get both the CPU and the RAM down to 201, so it runs fine now.
    Lostfaith, I'm adding the PCI fan also. I'll wait and buy it here local - $10. Forgot to answer your previous question: YES it feels good, just concerned about heat.
    Added exhaust couldn't hurt. I would have to move my fire-wire/usb cables down anyway 4 zalman..
    BTW, I don't have air cond here, and the amb room temp is about 77'F now.
    'Course, summer is approaching fast. I might need to think about a small window unit A/C to help out, at least in PC room. (another $100) LOL

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  18. drwngflies

drwngflies Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260
    Lostfaith, as another issue I came across, I am wondering about my PSU.
    I have unistalled EZtune4 from my sys, but when I had it, it showed my voltages. It always showed enough supplied voltage to all areas: 12,5,3.3
    Now, I have both sandra, and speed fan to monitor settings.
    In speed fan, it shows I lack enough 5v. Also in sandra it shows low 5v.
    How accurate are these two progams? Should I also go buy a multimeter? Sandra alo shows a wrong reading for 1 fan.
    --------------------
    [​IMG]
    --------------------
    [​IMG]

19. Crafter

Crafter Member

GPU:
    The 6600GT cards all seem to run hot, I think the limit is around 140'C and some cards come with only passive heatpipe cooling and run upto 105'C load and they are guaranteed for 3 years(Gigabyte) The cards also have a built in feature to reduce the clock if the temp rises near the limit. My 6600GT idles round 55'C and on load can reach upto 97'C on a Hot Summers Day in South Africa (40'C outside temp :) ) I am running a Gigabyte G power Pro cooler and that passes large amounts of air over the back of the GFX card and that seems to have helped keeping the temps down, Goto www.legionhardware.com under cooling there is a review for this cooler. If you into great cooling have a look at that cooler my A64 Idles at 27'C and Load 38'C (whilst clocked at 2400MHZ)

20. Crafter

Crafter Member

GPU:
    Dont worry about Sandra and SpeedFan, the are program written to generally support hundreds of motherboard each with different H/W chips and these programs don't always read the correct values from the H/W IC on the motherboard. I have in fact check my own board with multimeter and my 5v was at 5.02 and speed fan told me 3.96 and this incorrect 5v rail value seem to be common on Nforce 3 chipset gigabyte board so don't worry I'm sure its fine. If the BIOS under Hardware Monitor say "OK" you're OK.