Frodo is stupid!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by NoviceRei, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    From the writing point of view, Frodo is a character that makes sense. He's a hobbit, he isn't some stock bland MMORPG/Skyrim type warrior. He carries the ring, the ring corrupts men, yet he has to carry it because it affects him (as a hobbit) at a slower rate. From a written character point of view, the hobbits serve as viewer's guide to the world they inhabit. Meaning, the hobbits don't know much of the outside world they live in, same as the reader, so they're a good tool to use in the storytelling- if something gets explained to the hobbits it's really being explained to the reader. Even their location on the map serves to explore the entire world. Just look at where The Shire is compared to where Mordor is: http://lotrproject.com/map/

But back to his character. Frodo is carrying a burden. It's a draining burden, like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albatross_(metaphor) Frodo knows he's no warrior, that he doesn't belong outside The Shire, yet still carries on.

2. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Dude Frodo was not well, if you don't know the whole effing story don't complain.

He had to wear the ring, it wasn't a typical ring, it took a great measure of his strength and spirit to have it around the neck. +He was stabbed by the Nazgul.

You think he was whining and weak on purpose, or for no reason? Dear lord.

Good point.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    In all his wisdom, Gandalf knew that taking Sam with them might be the way to save Frodo's ass some day.

4. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK

QFT !!!!

Well said jesped.

I think the OP and other following repliers have missed the point completely.

It's the fact that Frodo is emotionally intelligent AND strong enough to weigh his options and conclude towards the moral side of his decisions that made him the perfect ring bearer.

Anywhooooo,
    It's amazing to consider that Tolkien wrote The Hobbit and TLOTR's as Christian analogy.

Worth looking into.

5. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Ok, so Frodo is a pussy. What's new? :)

6. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim RTX 3090
    HOW DARE YOU! I'd like to see your maarte pwet carry the great ring of power!

7. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    emotionally intelligent? Him getting tempted at Mount doom? Him trusting Gollum over Sam? (eventhough Sam saved his butt numerous times without question and sway of trust to him). Him trying to hand over the ring to numerous people (Gandalf, Aragorn, Nazgul)? Gandalf - yes to maybe; Aragorn - maybe; Nazgul? I was honestly

Yes, the One Ring is a burden, I know that. But I think PJ portrayed his character too much to be a 'damsel in distress' stereotype, so much so that it is irritating and annoying.

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Getting tempted at Mount Doom:
    This marks the end of the journey and the spot where the evil is to be ultimately defeated. It is seen that even Frodo could not even prevail over the influences and was completely and totally consumed by the evil at this point.

Trusting Gollum over Sam:
    When one is being consumed by any corrupting influence, those who are your friends will no longer be perceived as friends because of the paranoia that sets in. Gollum knows of the paranoia and places a bet on it to warp Frodo's interpretation of Sam's intentions.

The Wraiths:
    The ones that rode the Nazgul are the embodiment of the evil represented by the ring as having been fully corrupted by it; ceasing to be the individuals they once were. They are the master manipulators of the corrupting influence. It is through imperceptible manipulation that Frodo succumbs to when he starts surrendering the ring to the wraith.

There is so much that the movies cannot convey. Nothing can replace reading the books. One example, as mentioned earlier: How could a character like Tom Bombadil be portrayed as being so carefree because he is incorruptible?

9. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
  10. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    That's more the argument of feminist and video games though.

edit

I remember there was a theory the ring represented the corruption and addiction of drug abuse, but it was pretty much debunked. But, I'd say it's still plenty of addiction traits to it (just not being drug related). Or obsessive.

11. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

Pretty much everything explained,

I think we should let NoviceRei take the ring himself and take it to Mt Doom, see how he fares. :) Is he a tough guy then or how is he?

Will see.

12. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Exactly, Frodo shows quite extraordinary bravery and resolve. Especially considering all he has to deal with.

Add in getting webbed by a giant spider.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  13. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    LOL, it seems some people are personally offended by how I thought Frodo's character was portrayed in the film. :banana: I still enjoyed the Trilogy, and I still wish Sam should've slapped Frodo on one of those facepalm moments in the film.