Friend's laptop having graphical issues- need assistance

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Quad X, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Quad X

Quad X Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960
    Hi, I hope this is in the right forum, but I'm calling for help on the behalf of my friend who told me that his laptop is having some weird problem. I told him it sounds to me like his graphics card has gone bad, but I wanted to get a second opinion. Initially, the symptoms he described to me was like he was playing a video game and it would have like messed up colors on the screen and then the computer would freeze up. Then he also told me that when he boots up now, he gets like green bars on the screen, like when you load up your computer and it shows the loading bar at the bottom with the Microsoft windows logo. He also mentioned that when he gets to the login screen he can't really login because he can't see what is going on on the screen. Here's some of what he said to me:
    "when i start up, the screen will be black and then I'll get green bars that will slowly appear until the screen is mostly green and then it just stays like that the whole time so you can't see anything; and when the problem occurs in the computer when it's normal the screen will suddenly go mosaic color , freeze up, and then shut down."

Can anyone confirm my hunch, or have any other thoughts?

P.S. - I got some new information before posting this so I thought I'd add it: He also says that he did some searching of his own online and that people with XPS laptops (that's the model laptop he has) seem to have a problem like this and that it has to do with the computer overheating. Which does seem a logical conclusion. So, the GPU overheats, which then causes the GPU to become damage, thus the messed up problems I described above.

2. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2060
  3. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    If the GPU overheats it should just crash in my experiance, not go all weird. Drivers are designed to power down the GPU if it is in danger of melting!

The usual questions, has he tried updating his drivers?

4. CommandrX

CommandrX Guest

What model XPS?

5. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Sounds like a melting GPU. This issue is shown on the XBOX 360 and some HP laptops that I have dealt with in the past.

My old X360 exhibited a similar predicament after an 8 hour Bioshock marathon, caused by the GPU killing itself. The HP laptop I had before I ditched it and got a Macbook had a similar problem and its attributed to a GPU overheat even if I'm not gaming on the laptop probably due to bad soldering or grease application.

I'd send the laptop in.

deltatux

6. philheckler

philheckler Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx470 SLI
    Is it an nvidia or Ati gpu - just asking because there is a 'known' issue with some nvidia mobile chips that cause them to fail over time due to a bad chip material set....

7. Quad X

Quad X Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960
    He said it's an 8400M GS, nvidia.

He can't, like I said; he can't even see anything. I just talked to him some more, and he says there's like a bunch of green lines so it is impossible to see anything when booting up the computer.

It's possible it was just a bad chip or something, he said it started happening recently, but I'm not sure under the circumstances... it could have been when he was playing a graphics intensive video game, because I know he said it crashed the computer before... The question is whether it was a.) overheating thus screwing up, or b.) the chip just finally went bad or something... In any case, he's going to have to get the mobo replaced it seems like.

@must_kill_ati:

He said that he left it for 2 days and then tried using it but it's just beyond any usability. I think the damage is done.

EDIT:

Well sorry for the waste of time... Turns out it WAS overheating. He says he talked to his dad (he works for dell) and nvidia is having some kind of legal issues with nvidia now from what I understand.. apparently the XPS laptops have nvidia GPUs that overheat, and if my friend had known about this maybe months ago, he could have updated his graphic card drivers supposedly... cause see, he said it has to do with the fans being faulty on the GPU or something like that... weird thing is that it finally happened after however long my friend has had this laptop... like, a year or something.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009