Fridge magnet poses security threat to iPad 2

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by PhazeDelta1, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I will defend any product or system where people complaining about it, don't even use it. People love to complain about Apple because of their success while supposedly sprouting nonsense. But heaven forbid they actually use their devices at some point for longer than 10minutes.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that I have seen a shift towards Apple devices and their laptops over the years, and people have never looked back.
    Management time on them has gone down, people are doing things they would never have done on PC's in terms of presentations and better yet I've yet to even deal with a virus' or malware on their product.

The devices are tools, they have their place. Just like I put Windows in places where I think Macs are rubbish. And also times where I put Linux in place because both Windows and Mac are rubbish for the task. I use every OS, day in, day out. And support all 3 day in day out.

There is a real PURE DISTASTE for Apple on these forums, and I fail to see why. I think it's because people see Apple as arrogant Hipsters, and everything they do is just "Steal" ideas of everyone else and label it as their own. Yet are too blind to see that every other company does the EXACT same thing yet get off without a mention.

Apple does it, it's stealing. Google do it, they're praised because they show this Opensource Facade where they haven't done one single thing themselves apart from buy out companies to accomplish what they want. Some people don't know the full history of Google and how many companies they've bought, destroyed and called their own.

Hell they hate the fact people are forgetting about them. So they create Google+ to try and get people to switch from Facebook. And all their other countless failed experiments to get people to switch to them.

People need to pull their head out their asses and look deeper into these companies, because they are businesses, they are here to make a profit, and will do anything necessary to accomplish that. That's the sole reason they exist.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I wouldn't be leaving an iPad lying around near people I thought would do that anyway.

T'wud be on my person, in thou's large pocket

3. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    As for people who think I love Apple. I do, I use a number of their product in situations.

There's recently been a trend in my field of area which is schools and alot are putting in iPads.

I for one think that's absolutely mental, I just think it's a terrible move, because iPads while I think they're great for certain things, are at the same time so very very limited in what you can do, and the Apps for Students and particularly Office documents etc. I just think iPads in that situation are absolute rubbish.

They do have some great Apps in Education for lower parts and little kids, but overall, terrible idea to be giving kids iPads, plus there's no management with them.

Android on the other hand, much better, they are more customizable, there's deals being done at the moment to get Textbooks and management programs to push those out to your Android devices etc. Very cool and works great.

So don't you dare just assume that I'm a pure Apple fanboy and don't use anything else. I've said it a thousand times over the years, these things are tools to be used, there are strengths and weaknesses to all of them. You need to pick the best thing and use it.

The other thing I've noticed over the many many many years of being on these forums, is that any kind of security problem or flaw. There is a thread made on Apple. Every single time, regardless to what it is. Yet security flaws in other systems never even gets a mention.

There is definitely a heavy bias to Apple on these forums. No doubt about it. And I think it's "Cool" at the moment to be an Apple basher. Which is equally as bad as being blind to Apple.

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    There were so many points that I wanted to respond to but I'm far too tired to have a discussion right now that will not go anywhere.

So I'm just going to ask what do you use OS X for that is supposedly more efficient/better/whatever than other OSes?

5. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    I'm going to thread lightly as I do not want to get banned but have an honest discussion about what is said.

Firstly although your post is long and passionate the facts are Apple is a Patent troll of the same calibre (if not worse) as RAMBUS. I never saw you on this forum or anyone else (in all the time I've been here) defend RAMBUS (there were news topics about it) with its crappy patents and mind you they had ACTUAL technological patents (as regards DDR).

The rest of your post has nothing to do with what I said but I will address it fully;

Apple laptops are fantastic, I agree, I even suggested a friend of mine to buy one. The aluminium uni-body design, choice of LCD panels and keyboard feel are not found on PC lines (I have no idea why, HP envy comes close apparently). Personally I think the prices need to be lower, regarding presentations... I mean does Apple have some special software or something? Because otherwise I do not see how a computer can magically make someone presentations better.

I dislike Apple as a company not because it 'steals' ideas but because it takes these ideas and then pretends that it invented them all along, to the extent that they start crying foul as soon as someone figures out how to do it better while not breaking the bank.

My personal beef with Apple is the way they pretend to be a great "technology" company. They have done nothing ground breaking in engineering terms and I think its offensive to the people which are doing ACTUAL work. Building a laptop in a milled piece of aluminium isn't ground breaking, they are just a fancy dell, HP with a large CE component. How about the years when they used to take the piss out of PCs because they used to run ancient x86 only to flip flop and make it look like they were pro x86 all along?

Also why bring up Google? Is Google acting like a whiny baby filing suits? does Google have an army of lawyers ready to take out anyone even remotely touching any IP?

Also my post was about patent trolling, you just ignore it and post a rant about how great and not so different from the rest apple is.

6. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    And this is surprising how? Has the apple-excusing crowd ever done anything that made you suspect them capable of rational mind processes? They're actually fans of a corporation with slightly less moral backbone than damp gingerbread. hmmm let's shorten that: They're fans of a corporation. In what way could this EVER be considered rational?

//Svein

7. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    U just said it. Engineers should know the effects of magnets on electronic equipment.

They can't test for everything, but sometimes some stupid stuff manages to get past Quality & Assurance.

8. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    'Other software companies' usually don't fervently claim the designs and ideas they stole as their own innovations and/or inventions.

Sometimes it's not Apple themselves we're hating, but some of their fans who's being apologetic and belittle others at the same time.

Yes.

Not really.
    They're a master at marketing, I'll give them that.
    But it's the real facts underneath those bullsh!t that most Apple-haters are talking and joking about, not Apple's popularity.

And I will defend my own opinions since I've owned and used an MBA and an iPad, and yet I still felt it's nothing more special than an ASUS Transformer.
    Most of my friends who bought MB and MBP also formatted it right away to use Windows 7 instead of MacOSX.

That argument again?

I can also tell you the same thing with the same 100% certainty, but I can't tell whether there's such a significant amount of them with the same certainty.

Presentations?
    Probably PowerPoint for Mac.
    And what are these 'things they would never have done' exactly?

Regarding management time, well, it's true enough to an extent.
    My dad who has never updated his MacOSX (doesn't know how and just use his for browsing, e-mail and document editing) still runs his MBA happily, while some of my friends who've updated their MacOSX to newer versions spend most of the time searching forums for troubleshooting tips; go figure.

Yes, anyone could argue those problems my friends were having was because they didn't take precautions nor following instructions to a T, but then there's the Apple slogan : it just works.
    Apparently it didn't for them, and who am I to say?
    And lets not forget those who didn't successfully update their iPhones to iOS 5 and got a whole system reset instead, losing all contacts, photos and messages in the process.

Malware...well, there was this episode of Mac Defender not too long ago.
    Of course, most of us here are already computer-literate, so it's a given that we're susceptible to such fraud.
    But the rest of the world? Not so much.

Like most people have said, it's not the devices.
    It's the company's and some of its users' attitude.

I can also see that there is a real PURE DISTASTE for anything anti-Apple, but I don't want to know why; everyone's entitled to their own opinions.
    But here is one of the reasons why some people hate Apple.

They're not?

As I've said before, most other companies usually don't fervently claim the designs and ideas they stole as their own innovations and/or inventions.
    Much less seeking a trade ban like Samsung has suffered.

In any case, Google did literally steal (read: copy paste) some codes from Sun when building Android back then, though.
    This is why Oracle is so vehement in suing Google's arse.

Anyone who praised Google is a nut. =b
    That said, you just can't generalize the views of anyone who hates Apple.

Regarding 'buy out companies', though, Apple doesn't do that.
    Instead, they took an idea from an app in their own app store, kicked that app from the store, and later on the same functionality that kicked app had were being presented in an iOS update and claimed as a new feature.

Bought, yes.
    Destroyed?
    Can't say I've heard the news but I'd be thankful if you could point me to an article.

That's what I've said to people for quite some time.
    Google is like firing a sh!t-loaded gatling gun to a wall and see which one that sticks in regards of their projects.

Then the same need to be said to Apple evangelists; SJ was no saint, Apple is no church.

This is one of the reasons I prefer a hybrid like ASUS Transformer.

In the future; please don't put 'lower parts' and 'little kids' in the same sentence; it boggles some people's minds. :p
    In all seriousness, I still don't really get what you meant with 'lower parts', though.
    And yes, letting kids to play with iPads won't be healthy, especially if the purpose is to keep them busy while their parents do something else that doesn't include 'babysitting'.

Not to mention you can actually OC Android phones. =b

I agree, but I think most people thought that you're an Apple fanboy because of the way you're defending the company in the past posts.
    In this thread alone, you looked like you're going on a crusade on the littlest mention of Apple bashing.
    It's everyone's own opinions, though, and I can't really blame them.

That probably stemmed from the mantra Apple themselves had touted for years about how their OS is the most secure.
    Just look at their MacOSX page.
    "The world's most advanced desktop OS"; who wouldn't want to pick at something as grandiose of a claim as that?

Well, this is, after all, basically a PC forum; we all know how Apple used to downplay PC folks with their I'm a Mac/I'm a PC ads in the past.
    Until the folks who've seen and/or lived through those ads gone from this forum, can't really see how the users' perspective on Apple would sway the other way around soon.

Anyway, don't think of this post as a personal attack to you, Finch.
    I just wanted to make things (hopefully) clearer for you and everyone else here.
    Though if there's anything remotely offending, in which I actually kinda sure there was some, then I'm sorry in advance.

A'ight, back to DAO Ultimate Edition.
    *Just because DA2, for me, sucked darkspawn balls*

9. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Pretty much my impression time after time, and I rarely visit guru's forums anymore.

10. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    He's also given out infractions to people whom say anything bad about Apple, even if they aren't aggressive, or mean spirited when they say it, and state simple facts.

11. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    OMG OMG OMG now i goes to buys lots of magnets and stealz info from ppl i hopes i dont get caught doing the magnet uber swipe thingie wen i stealz important info.

from now on i dedicate my life into opening last used programs from ipod2 users, i will now hunt ipod2 users into my evil scheme.

omg FAILZ FAILZAPPLEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, how did u NOT have looked into this I DEMAND A LAW SUIT, no one can get my list of grocerys without my permission.

ffs.

12. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    This isn't about Windows.

And everyone bashed Windows for those exploits.

And now we bash Apple for theirs.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  13. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Forget it.

Doesn't matter what I say or do, I'm labelled as a Fanboy and it's like talking to a brick wall. You can't change peoples minds when they're already made up.

Oh and Mkilbride. I'm not going to have to ban anyone. With your attitude as of late you won't be lasting much longer either I suspect. And I won't even have to do it.

14. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    sorry Finch but i got that impression too :p

:D
    [​IMG]

ps; can i have a custom title too or is it still out of the question :nerd:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  15. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -

Yea I changed it because apparently that's all I am.

And after people attacking me? People getting custom titles? HA!

Also, just a little other bit of tid-bit. Get Angry at Microsoft. They're taking up to nearly 50% of all the profit from Android sales due to patents.

16. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    hehee worth a try :smile:

17. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Well from me its in jest. You know, grab the dog by the tail and see if you get away without being bitten.

As for pattens I think they should be time limited to like 5 years the most, it stifles competition and keeps things from advancing.

18. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    I mean, surely test if you can fck up the iphone with a magnet sounds weird BUT the ppl that knows how the touchscreen and software of the iphone works could imagine that something like this happens if they have some reliance in magnetic force to do some stuff.

Its just like thinking "How could one test if one puts a magnet on his HDD?" That surely came out of thinking "this device works with magnetic forces, thus, other external magnetic forces could fck it up" I dont think that a dev decided putting his favourite pin with the image of his son or something on the HDD he was designing and then he said "OH SHT" lol

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    We're not exactly fans of theirs either. But they make the most overall functional operating system (as in overall capability for the average bloke), there really isn't another option. I'm going to give PC-BSD a try when I'm not feeling so lazy but at best I'd use it for watching videos and listening to music (which probably won't happen as I haven't seen fully functional X-Fi drivers).

That and every day I hear about 20 new lawsuits by Apple in a trollish attempt to prevent competition while they're inventing nothing themselves. Microsoft... not even remotely close to that much and I don't need to say they make a lot of progress, even if it is slow.

The point is I hate any company which so directly prevents progress while contributing virtually nothing themselves.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The patent system came about to allow people to profit from their inventions. Apple has managed to abuse it in every way possible though. Somehow, they've managed to get patents for technologies they've had nothing to do with. The system is broken and badly needs to be completely revamped. The downside of fixing the system properly, is that ALL patents would have to be invalidated to avoid carrying over patents that should have never existed. "Proof of Concept" patents need to be completely eliminated. This would stop companies like RAMBUS and Apple from sueing their competition based on exceptionally vague patents that can be applied to an extremely wide variety of daily use items. Shapes should not be patent'able at all. Sadly, the governments will never fix the patent system because they profit from it being broken....and consumers suffer....

Eh, I've been called an AMD fanboy, ATI fanboy, nVidia fanboy, Intel fanboy, etc, etc.... Just roll with it. Laugh at it....and move on. Stand on your principles. It's really not worth letting others trample them.