Freezing issues

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DgtlOutcst, Mar 12, 2011.

1. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    Hello gurus.

Having some PC trouble here. about 2 days ago, I was playing Left 4 Dead 2, and after 10-15 minutes the game froze, with looping sound. I did not think much of it and went into task manager. There I noticed I couldn't end the process.
    I reset my PC, and waited for it to boot into windows, which it refused to do, it kept sitting on the loading screen. I eventually shut the PC down, took the power off and rebooted. This time, it went fine. So I load up L4D2 to rejoin the server. Same problem after 10-15 minutes. This game also froze a couple of times on map load, usually on the same point.

Stalker also kept freezing on me, but I sort of disregarded it as an issue with complete mod, (call of pripyat) seeing as many people have problems running it. But it also freezes after 10-15 minutes, and I can't close the process every time. This freeze did not come with sound looping.

So I decided to test it with one more game. I installed Rome Total War and you guessed it. It froze after 10 -15 minutes, but no sound looping here either.

On the desktop, the PC is fine. no issues at all.

Now, the interesting part is, I reinstalled windows today. I was going to be formatting soon anyway, but decided to just do it a little bit earlier considering I had problems with my games. Even on a fresh windows install. the same problems arise, which leads me to believe it's a hardware issue.

I tried:

- Reinstalling windows
    - Using older video drivers
    - I was thinking of testing RAM by just taking a module out, and use different sockets instead of using memtest.

I hope it's not an issue with my graphics card. But seeing as the PC can't seem to cope with 3d application, I'm sort of afraid my 1 month old GTX570 is broken.

So, any advice on what to do next will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    Sounds like a heat problem.
    Did you check any temps?

3. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    I completely forgot. Will do and report back.

4. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    Sounds to me like a possible HDD issue too if its happening loading maps

Run a disk check too

5. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Do a CPU temp check, run a hard drive fitness test and I'll also add one more thing, do a memtest.

I had this problem with a set of memory I bought back when I had a P4, Battlefield 2 would just crash out of the blue. Once I had the set of memory replaced at my local store the problem was quickly resolved.

deltatux

6. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I player STALKER Call of Pripyat until it froze. The temperatures are as follows:

GPU: idle: 47C
    Load: 82C (which is a lot higher then I expected, but not at the critical point)

CPU: idle: 36C
    Load: 49C

Also a new development. I ended CoP through task manager, and was checking the temperatures. When the entire PC just becomes unresponsive. I can still move my mouse around. but I can't click on any programs. I couldn't even move my cursor over the taskbar because it just stopped right at the edge. I opened task mananger and the system became useable again.

The entire thing just seems sluggish though. I open a folder when I restarted my PC, and it just freezes up.
    So the temps seem fine, even though the GPU is higher than expected.

I'll run the windows disc diagnostics tool now and return with results.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    Dont be surprised if the PC is unstable after a crash.
    As long as its ok on the next boot, there should be nothing to worry about on that score.

CPU temp is fine.
    Gfx card might be ok but needs checking.

Open the case side and blow a big fan at the inside.
    Now see if the problem occurs and how quickly if so.
    This will tell us if heat has any effect on your problem.

You mentioned your PC was unstable after you booted.
    Is that true or did you mistype?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  8. qwwwizx

qwwwizx Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 680SO
    Can be PSU related and many other things. I can see that you got a 1000w though. Try to re-seat your card in the pci-e socket, and eventually check the PSU power cables to it.

Now that you re-installed windows, I guess you are right about the hardware part. If you have other pci-e x16 sockets, you can eventually try one of those.

9. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    Basically, it was unstable after the crash, yes. But sometimes it won't restart properly, it will stay on the ''welcome to windows'' screen for ages. Sometimes it just sort of gets to the desktop, but the startup sequence doesn't really seem continue. It won't start up programs like steam for example. And if I try to do anything during this time the PC will freeze.

This usually happens after a hard reset which I had to do as a result of the freezing issue. It only happened once or twice. All the other times, the PC booted up fine. I never experienced it when I could actually shut down the PC properly.

Checkdisk is still running. It's nearly done for one of my two harddisks

10. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    Ok keep us updated on that, and dont forget to do a memcheck

11. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    One question though. I never really had to use memtest before, is it best to test one RAM module at a time? Or can I test the two I have simultaneously?

EDIT: Checkdisk found no problems on Drive 1. Going to run it for my other drive now. Drive 2 is also fine.

12. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    One at a time I would say - I have never thought about it, maybe someone else can advise

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    Test both memory sticks at the same time.
    If you get no failures, move onto the next thing.
    If it fails, find which stick is faulty.
    If neither fails individually, an increase in memory voltage might help as powering both sticks at once is more demanding.

But before doing anything more, reset your CMOS in case it is corrupt.

14. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    Thanks for the information.

I'll run memtest overnight once the diskcheck is finished.

15. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    the fact windows won't boot sometimes until you turn off the system and remove the cable = PSU

just because it's a 1000w psu does not mean it's working properly, a faulty psu is possible.

or occasionally believe it o not, the Audigy card, i had plenty of nforce mobos (loved them to death) so i got a bit of experience, i'd like you to try removing the audigy from the slot and using the onboard sound (i think its by realtek) which is very solid.

i used to get freezes in Gears Of War and FC2 after 10-15 min, removed the audigy2, used onboard realtek, never had the problem since, and yes the system occasionally would not respond, can't open folders properly and everything was completely zombiefied.

worth a try.

finally, if you're using the nvidia drivers for your hdd, roll back to the windows defaults, another thing to try is to disable raid (in the bios), the nvidia drivers are known to cause hdd issues, from corruptions, to freezes and sometimes even killing drives (rare though), everything would seem fine for month then suddenly you get problems, i avoided them like a plague, also they used to cause 100% cpu spikes and or remain @ 100% all the time when using some apps or games.

the windows ones are great, never had a problem.

16. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to update my specs though. I'm actually using the onboard sound now.

In other news, checkdisk did not find any errors and memtest, which has been running for 9.5 hours now hasn't found any either.

I might test the system with a spare PSU I have laying around. It's 650 watts though, which I hope is enough. It's the most powerful spare I have laying around. I think the minimum for the GTX570 alone is 550 Watt

17. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    Oh Jesus, I hooked up the spare PSU. and smoke came from one of te SATA connections (at the HDD's end). Atleast it looked like the smoke came from there. Looks like this problem has just gotten worse.

EDIT: Well, I got into windows and both HDD's are still detected atleast.

I don't really want to test it with this PSU again. And the only other one I have is a 450 watt one.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    I've had a bad SATA power connection cause the drives power connector to go up in smoke too.
    Luckily, the short circuit was at the drives power connection so damage was limited to that area.
    The drive survived.
    You may have had the same issue.

Bear in mind that no fuse will protect from a short circuit until you have exceeded the PSUs power rail capability.
    If your PSU can deliver 500W through 12V, it will take more than that 500W to be dissipated before the fuse will go.

More powerful PSUs can be less safe/cause more damage, especially in a short circuit fyi.

19. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    Ah, thanks for the explanation.

I have been playing STALKER now for quite a bit longer than it would normally go. And it´s still going.

The only thing I did was reseat my graphics card. I can´t confirm if it´s fully fixed yet. But this does look good. Shouldn´t get my hopes up though.

I´m going to have some dinner and leave stalker running.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    I dont recommend leaving the PC unattended for quite some time yet, play it safe.
    Back up all your sensitive data to a device that hasnt been exposed to the problems.