Freesync not limiting frame rate?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by schilperoordbas, Jun 10, 2021.

1. schilperoordbas

schilperoordbas Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    When I run a game for example Black Ops Cold War and I enable g-sync/freesync through the NVIDIA Control Panel the game still goes above the frame limit according to the MSI Afterburner Logitech Applet. The whole reason for g-sync/freesync to exist is to not be an alternative to v-sync? Should I enable V-sync? The frame limit is on 144, but according to MSI Afterburner the game goes above the monitor frame limit. I'm confused.

2. Mda400

Mda400 Master Guru

GPU:
    3070Ti 2070/22.6Ghz
    Since FreeSync is AMD's name for VESA Adaptive Sync (FreeSync over HDMI is different and proprietary to AMD), I assume you mean G-Sync compatible (which uses either VESA Adaptive Sync or HDMI Forum VRR depending on the connection to the display), which will only limit the framerate when you have V-Sync enabled (in-game or nvidia control panel) and Low Latency Mode set to "Ultra" in the Nvidia control panel (or using another frame limiting method such as an in-game limiter or RTSS). Traditional G-Sync operates as a proprietary module designed by Nvidia in certain monitors, but still is affected the same way when using the V-Sync setting and frame limiters.

The "Ultra" low latency mode setting is one way to automatically limit the framerate in any non-DX12 or Vulkan application (as they have their own "low latency mode" behaviour which is controlled by the application) and only when V-Sync is enabled using G-Sync/G-Sync compatible at the same time.

Any variable refresh rate method by itself does not work as a frame limiter, but functions as a means for the graphics card to control the display's refresh rate within a certain frequency range on the display, instead of the display refreshing independently resulting in smooth motion even when framerate wildly fluctuates. That means even if you are using G-Sync, FreeSync, or HDMI Forum VRR without V-Sync or any other frame limiter enabled, it alone will not limit framerate.

When using any VRR feature, V-Sync isn't actually traditional V-Sync when the framerate is within the VRR range of the display, but is used as a "flag" to synchronize the framerate exactly to the monitor's refresh rate.
    When the framerate is inside the VRR range of the display (for example 48-144hz), without V-sync enabled tearing can still occur but the tearing line will stay fixed near the bottom of the display.

Finally, if you use V-Sync along with variable refresh rate you will still incur traditional V-Sync delay when framerate reaches the refresh rate limit of your display as VRR disengages outside of its VRR range. This is why its recommended to limit framerate at least 3-4 frames (as framerate control isn't always precise to every frame) when using VRR so that you never reach the refresh rate limit and add delay from having V-Sync enabled combined with VRR.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    If you disable vsync, then g-sync is disabled when you exceed the max refresh rate. If you enable vsync, then g-sync is capped by vsync, meaning it's active if FPS falls below refresh rate. If FPS reaches refresh rate, you get vsync and increased input lag.

So yes, you need to cap your FPS. The driver will automatically cap it if you set "low latency mode" to "ultra" in the nvidia panel's 3D settings. For the full story, there's a series of 15 articles here:

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/

It has pretty much everything you want to know about how to cap, including tests on which capping methods reduce input lag the most. Enabling vsync and using ultra low latency mode in NVCP is the quickest way to do it. If you want to tweak it more than just that, then reading those articles is a good idea.

Keep in mind that in some games, the "ultra" setting for low latency mode doesn't work and the game will not be capped. So... yeah. Read those articles :p

yasamoka and Undying like this.
  4. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC 6800XT 16G
    Freesync does not work very well at the max fps of your monitor. What I do is limit fps with frc to 140 and disable all vsync options, only leaving freesync on.

5. janos666

janos666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    In general, you should leave V-Sync ON even when you limit the FPS. You might have a tiny amount of tearing close to the bottom of your screen otherwise.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Well that defeat the purpose, does it? If the freesync is working as it should it works best by itself. Limiting the framerate few fps bellow the refresh rate helps with that.

7. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    There are a number of factors that come into play when it comes to G-Sync/FreeSync. My monitor I bought a year ago (Pixio px275H 95hz) did not like when I used an HDMI cable. After getting a display port cable everything was so much smoother. Me personally I have G-Sync enabled in the control panel and I use V-Sync in, in game options. There's only been two games I've noticed where G-Sync is actually doing what its supposed to do and those are Hellblade and A Plague Tale: Innocence. @1440p those games are both run at a locked 48fps which is fine because I don't have any screen tearing and they're not fast paced. I play a lot of GTA online and my fps can bounce between 65-95 fps and I can tell the difference, but not having screen tear makes it ok.

Playing some older games like Max Payne 3, Mad Max, Bioshock Infinite and many others its very nice to have your fps match your monitors refresh rate.

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Nope, it doesn't. Vsync does not function the same way with g-sync as without. Dunno about Freesync though.

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    Doesn't matter when the card is a green one.

Always G-Sync + V-sync
    Then either low latency mode set to Ultra or be brave and use HAGS, never both at the same time.
    Never in-game V-sync, since it will and might counter any of the above, some games got latency reduction with the included v-sync, still best to control that external.
    Lastly, to cap frames, in-game when possible and when not RTSS.

Xtreme512 and Cave Waverider like this.