1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freesync monitor choice help

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by bernek, Oct 9, 2018.

1. bernek

bernek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX580 / 8GB
    Hello !

I never bothered with Freesync in the past and I wasn't interested in these features but recently I started playing a few 3d shooters (just for fun) and I've noticed quite a lot of tearing even if my FPS is above the refresh rate of my curent monitor. (75 Hz).

I would like to get a cheap Freesync monitor 40-75Hz refresh rate that can be tweaked to 30-80Hz ...

My simple question is what happens if game framerate goes above 75 or 80 fps lets say 100 fps will I see tearing ? or Freesync will automatically cap it at the maximum refresh rate of the Freesync monitor ?

Thank you !

Bernek

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Cap your fps. Usual target fps is maximum freesync refresh - 2. And then you do not need to see v-sync behavior or tearing.
    But today even 144Hz Freesync screens are quite cheap...
    HP 25x
    Acer KG241Pbmidpx
    AOC G2460PF
    Viewsonic XG2401

While I would advise you to always cap fps somewhere where your system produces frames at steady rate (stable frametimes), you can use cap at above your HW capabilities as long as you have monitor with high enough maximum FS range.

As example:
    100Hz limit means that screen can display frame every 10ms.

You can have 95fps average, but some of frames may have frametime below that 10ms. In that case you run into situation where that particular frame was already above FS range and was V-Synced. (waited for start of refresh window)

It is always better to have space (in terms of minimum time between screen refreshes), because then you are sure that frames can be displayed moment rendering is done.

Maddness and z8373767 like this.
  3. z8373767

z8373767 Member Guru

GPU:
    Fury Nitro 1070/600
    Im using AOC G2460PF for one year. Im not into monitors, but from my experience G2460PF is very tweakable (lower Freesync range, 1440p 89Hz VSR), but overall screen quality is... OK?
    In 144Hz mode every colour is very washed (of course you can tweak it, but you will never get quality like 120Hz stock), that's why im using 120Hz on desktop and 144Hz only in competitive multiplayer games. Singeplayer first choice 120Hz, better colours/contrast, also i had some problems with scanlines in 144Hz stock mode (GTX 970 was scanlines-free lol). Little tweak in CRU solved problem.
    Pivot is great, Freesync is awesome, every video-in (VGA, DVI, HDMI, DP), speakers is... don't use this, really. I think older Belinea monitors had better speakers.

Im happy with my monitor? Yes, but next time i will take some IPS/VA 1440p 120-144Hz Freesync 2. Im hungry HDR2

If you don't need 144Hz go for IPS 75Hz Freesync.

bernek likes this.
  4. bernek

bernek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX580 / 8GB
    I went with a Dell SE2817H and I don't see an improvement so far ... monitor has no menu to activate Freesync and in drivers it got activated by default. It says Freesync ON (48 to 75 Hz).

The monitor looks okish colours are ok and it has 3 modes for FPS RTS and RPG (are these the only modes where Freesyns is active ?) not sure ...

I will try with CRU to set it from 30 to 75 or maybe 80-85 if it works ... the problem is even without me messing with it I still think I see some tearlines ..

Is Freesync helping with tearing or completly eliminating it ?

I would cap my FPS above Freesync range ! Do I need to set any kind of VSYNC with Freesync ? (I believed Freesync takes care of everything).

5. bernek

bernek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX580 / 8GB
    I never seen in person a Freesync or GSYNC so I'm not sure what to expect ... but still if I move the image fast I see some minor tearing. I've tried the Freesync demo (Windmill) and it starts with Vsync ON and Freesync ON ?! I disable VSYNC and I see clear tearing at 5mm from the top part of the monitor ... not sure please help me out explaining me what I should see/expect.

I kept on playing with the Windmill turning VSYNC and Freesync ON and OFF and now my screen flickers even in W10 for some reason. LIke the refresh rate is not constant its pulsing/flickering.

Strange stuff.

P.S. I've read on the internet that stutter should be eliminated also ? The motion should be fluid ? I have stuttering in Windmill :) such a noob I am but this old tech for you guys is new for me ...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    You need VSYNC On to eliminate tearing completely.

Don't worry, it's not actually Vsync when your FPS is within the refresh rate range, it's just enabling FTC so that monitor can have perfect synchronization with the vblank interval.

Maddness, yasamoka and bernek like this.
  7. bernek

bernek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX580 / 8GB
    I just fired up GTA 5 and I was definately seeing tearing. (minor but there). VSYNC ON ? or any other kind of sync ?

I can enable it globally to force vsync on then ... but my question is what is the purpose of Freesync then ? to aleviate tearing ? Please explain me a bit. I still have a feeling its not working at least some of the times...

I used DDU and fresh installed latest driver and reset monitor to factory. Default is 60Hz but I changed that in Windows to 75Hz because Display from AMD control panel said Freesync 48-59 HZ until I've changed it to 75 ...

8. bernek

bernek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX580 / 8GB
    I've enabled both and wow everything is smooth and no tearing at all ! Vsync ON like you said doesn't add lag now ! I enjoyed a few few minutes of GTA 5 at 75 fps constant with no tearing :D yay

Thanks !

I've enabled Vsync ON globaly from driver but I had to enable it in game also because it didn't "apply".

9. bernek

bernek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX580 / 8GB
    I've chosen like you've seen IPS 75Hz @ 1080p more than enough for me and with all games that I have my FPS is between 50-100 so the 48-75 Hz covers me nicely.

I've tried to write a lower refresh rate with CRU (Freesync refresh rate) but it failed. For regular monitors I was using reduced blanking but now I don't know what to do :) to make it work.

10. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury X
    My monitor is 48-60hz Freesynce. I am currently running it at 30-80 range. Its fantastic.
    LG29UM67-P

bernek likes this.

11. bernek

bernek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX580 / 8GB
    What settings you use for CRU ? Default for mine is 48-75 do you think I could get 30-80 or 85 ? Would be really cool !

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Do you have Freesync screen at hand? Can you demonstrate your V-Sync ON with RTSS frametime graph?

13. bernek

bernek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX580 / 8GB
    So what is the best way then for me ? So far I've used like colleagues said here in this thread Freesync ON and Vsync ON and it is working for me.

Most of the times (in all games @ 1080p) my FPS is above 75 but Vsync ON keeps it there ... Am I adding quite some lag with this ? I just want to be the competitive BF1 weekend player that can still kick some butt :D

I've tried with CRU and got 45 (instead of 48) and 80 (instead of 75) but from time to time I've got black screens ... I doubt it's worth it for 5 fps...

With Vsync I have 2 options only take some lag (maybe) or accept minor tearing :)

Is there the 3rd option to limit FPS with RivaTuner at 75 ? (actually 74.99X according to https://www.blurbusters.com/howto-low-lag-vsync-on/)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    As for BF1 (BadAss Medic Here :D)
    I have FPS Cap OFF and in user.cfg is set to 70FPS and in Game is set to Monitor refresh*
    GameTime.MaxVariableFPS 70
    That's all -> BF1/5 Games really don't like FPS CAP forced by any means but it's own ;)

* (Im not Using V-Sync in any of my Games -> and everything is OK also)

15. bernek

bernek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX580 / 8GB
    Did this tweak myself and I only have Freesync ON and user.cfg with the limit set to 73 :D everything works silky smooth :D Thanks OnnA

OnnA likes this.