Freesync advice

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Only Intruder, May 22, 2018.

1. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Just got myself a new monitor that has Freesync with a range of 30-120hz which will no doubt work really well with my Fury.

I'm just wondering, what's the best way to make use of it? As in, what settings in Crimson (leave vysnc off or put enhanced sync on etc) and when choosing refresh rate settings in a game, do I turn vsync on or leave it off? I also imagine it would be worth setting a framerate cap of something like 119?

Additionally, the panel can actually do 144hz but setting this refresh rate disables freesync so if I wanted to up the freesync range, I guess I would need to do some CRU editing? If so what would I need to do?

Thanks

2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Fiji-X HBM 1120/575
    Enhanced sync ON
    FS Forced ON in Game profile
    Frame Cap for 62-70, 59-80 or 59-120 ;)
    Chill will work but not in every Game (98% Will Work NP with some good settings)

Remeber to load Color Profile into Windows
    and to Save all settings, Turn ON FS in Monitor OSD then OFF and ON again to Pair it up with Adrenalin.

Game On :p you'll see the difference for sure -> 1000% Sure

Only Intruder likes this.
  3. z8373767

z8373767 Member Guru

GPU:
    Fury Nitro 1070/600
    I always disable in-game Vsync, using FRTC lock framerate little below FS Range to make sure it is always ON.
    For example in CS:GO and FRTC set to 144 (when i have 144Hz) i usually see tearing on screen, because game renders 145fps sometimes.
    So FRTC 142 is really fine.

You can increase/decrease FS Range using CRU in display properties.
    My AOC G2460PF can do 29-146 and that solved my strobing problem :D

I can't control Freesync in Monitor OSD, only in Radeon Panel/Radeon Overlay.
    I don't recommend Chill to multiplayer, high refresh rate gaming. It cause a lot of stuttering for me.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Only Intruder and OnnA like this.
  4. Only Intruder

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    So using CRU, I've set refresh rate up to 144hz and freesync range between 30-144hz rather than 35-120 that's by default, restarted and it seems to work, no black screen or anything

The question is, how can I check that it is indeed working without looking for screen tearing?

Must admit, I'm loving how smooth everything feels, even just dragging a window around the desktop.

OnnA likes this.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Fiji-X HBM 1120/575
    YT, movies, WEB, Games etc. Adaptive Sync aka FreeSync covers it all :p for me it feels like CRT Monitor :D

Only Intruder and z8373767 like this.
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Fury X +AW@240Hz
    If you are OCing your screen, take phone. Put camera into Professional Mode. Set 0.5s exposition and take few photos of Monitor Frame Skipping Test.
    Last thing you want is to have frames missing.

As for FS, I only use RTSS fps limiter to keep everything within monitor's range. And I disable VSync.
    (If possible, as windows 10 have some special behavior considering windowed, Fullscreen-Windowed and "Exclusive Fullscreen" which I think no longer truly exists. And this behavior has been changing over time.)

Only Intruder likes this.
  7. Only Intruder

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Oh no I haven't OC'd it, I just wanted to enable freesync at it's 144Hz refresh rate, It was either set monitor to 144Hz but have freesync disabled or enable freesync but have it limited to 120hz.

So I went into cru, copied the values of it's 144hz profile and just added freesync range to the extention block and it seemed to work. After testing in some games, I noticed on loadscreen when the frame rate dropped below 37fps, I got corruption on screen so I went back into cru and set the bottom range to 40hz, tested again and no more problem, it's all smooth and no problems at 144Hz either. I'm kind of confused why 144hz wasn't set by default though because as far as I can tell, it's been working great (I'm guessing silicon lottery type of thing?).

Did that test that you recommended anyway, and looks to be fine
    [​IMG]

So enhanced sync set in crimson, 144fps cap in drivers and/or games, in games set either adaptive sync if available otherwise, no vsync and that's everything right?

z8373767 likes this.
  8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Fury X +AW@240Hz
    Frameskip may happen even in one of 20~50 frames. Use either longer exposition and lower ISO or take multiple shots to have higher chance catching potential issue. And being more certain that there is no issue if nothing comes out.
    On image, you did catch 14 frames, that's 1/10th of second.

9. Only Intruder

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Yeah set the camera up, 800iso, shutterspeed 1/10th of a second, aperture f/10 (so the image wouldn't be blown out by the monitors brightness).

Took several photos and all came out with consistent results

Edit - Updating this post rather than double posting:

I did a really simple video to illustrate the difference between 144hz and 60hz, it really is remarkable how such a difference is visible (and I really have to laugh at people that say you can't see more than 24fps.... yes... you can...)

It's a bit of a lazy video but the phone recorded at 120fps - then I selected segments to be set for slow motion, with the rest of the video being played back in "real time".

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Fox2232 likes this.
  10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    V-Sync on for FreeSync's frametime compensation to work, FPS cap @ 3FPS below refresh rate using RTSS, and you're set. You don't want Enhanced Sync as it would enable triple buffering and render more frames than your display can show, dropping older frames (jitter), beating the entire point of FreeSync. Using Enhanced Sync with a framerate cap beats the entire point of Enhanced Sync, too.

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Fiji-X HBM 1120/575
    Enhanced sync = ON (always) because it will give you better Frame Times in any game (You can see this clearly in Forza Games DX12)
    I have tested this some time ago with FLA Calculator :D results was Awesome.
    BF1 will give you better Action time (See->Act->Server->register)

For no Tear i have set in CRU 30-74 then CAP is for 70, do not use Chill for FPPS fast paced (like BF4/1 or CS) always give CAP in Adrenalin to 70/90/100/120/144Hz (I have 70)

CS Go 144
    BF4 90
    BF1 90