Free Gears 5 weekend for PC, both on Steam and the Microsoft store

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    These single player focused games need usually a simple demo. Two or three days is not enough for most to try the game, because usually there are other things to do when the game happens to be in free period. A demo would resolve this issue completely, since if they are afraid that let's say one week free period would be too much if some players manage to complete the game throughoutly, then just have a limited demo available so anyone can try whenever and not be able to complete the game without paying. Demos were a great idea in the past and so they are now. If it's not broken don't fix pls!

To note, I don't know if Gears 5 have had a demo available since the current Steam page doesn't show anything, but in general free periods are useless and demos are great. Free periods work only for multiplayer games, but even for them a demo would be great! I'm sure there are no obstacles that could completely prevent this. Play only against bots for example? Anything is better than nothing if you want your game to be visible and given a chance.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  3. loracle

loracle Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    Some needs all the week end just to download the game.

4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Did they change it to where you can play single player now? I tried it yesterday and it was only multiplayer and you needed Xbox Live.

5. warezme

warezme Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    Gross. XBox live is a total deal breaker for me. forget that.

6. Locoyote

Locoyote Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    The single player campaign is available, so if I stick to it, I should complete it in 3.5 days if I concentrate. I've got nothing else to do. Download nearly finished, only 3 hrs to go. Don't care about multiplayer, so I can delete the 80gigs off my SSD when the free period is over. Free £50 game, happy days!

PS. Have a look over at EGS and see what free games they're giving out, it's pretty decent.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^You will enjoy it, i really liked the story, looked amazing in 4k with HDR on a big 55in tv.

8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Ok my bad you don't need Xbox live, you just need any kind of Microsoft account. Once you complete the tutorial the campaign is available.and there's a benchmark. Game looks and runs great!

9. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    But which platform offers better performance? Steam or MS? Did anyone look into that?

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/67296/gears-war-5-uses-win32-windows-store-steam-uwp/index.html

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Installed, deleted after 5min.

What's worse, it looks really bad too.. basically GOW4 with tiny bit better gfx, but so minor, I was like yeah no.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    Tried it. Constantly crashed. Uninstalled.

12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    This is actually the first Gears game I've ever played. I was gonna get the first one at launch but that was around the time GFWL was trying to kill PC gaming so I passed. This one is fun, it's basically a generic story sci/fi action type of movie. However I can't stand the controls how when you're running you can't strafe, very annoying.