Free Blu-Ray decoder Windows 7

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by itzsaint, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    In what way is TMT5 better than PDVD10, and i mean facts, not opinion.
    I tested both of them quite extensively for months and when it came to image and sound quality with BluRay's i couldn't seperate them.

They both upscale DVD's, though in my opinion PDVD is better at that, but upscaling can be subjective.

Support wise i had no problems with any of my discs, from 4 year old ones to brand new releases, and i have several hundred.

TMT5 does let you play BluRay from a folder which is an advantage, while also supporting HDDVD, which was a selling point for me a few years back, but not now.

PDVD10 on the other hand can output non downsampled HD audio over analog when using ReClock, TMT5 still downsamples it, and PDVD is also cheaper, around £15 here or $25 cheaper in the US.

There is nothing wrong with either, anyone claiming anything else has a fanboy agenda or thinks their experiences are universal, the only reason i went with the Cyberlink product was the non downsampled sound workaround, and the fact it was 25% cheaper than TMT5.

2. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Cyberlink = Bloated software. I stopped using it after version 5.0. Just like Nero (burning software) they went off the cliff by making their software bloated. TMT5 is simple and to the point.

Anyways as you said PDVD is missing folder playback. It also can't manually load subtitle files.

TMT can output non-downsampled analog high resolution audio. Plus, if you're going to be playing blu-ray to their full extent just send the audio out over HDMI to an AV receiver as you'll get more options then just using the PC as the DAC. I've been there done that and I'll use HDMI any day on a PC to get the source decoded externally. Much more flexibility (and typically better hardware choices) so that's a moot point.

3. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, i do agree with that, it comes with that Moovie Live junk, which i could live without, but the Facebook crowd would love it, and while i agree the simpler look of TMT is better, others may call it bland and featureless.

Thankfully it doesn't take much to uninstall all the crap and bloat.

For retail discs i don't think i have every wanted/needed to load external subtitle files.

TMT5 can only output non-downsampled high res audio using PAP soundcards, which isn't that many, and even then i heard it only worked with certain versions.
    PDVD is less strict with the PAP stuff, so its an easy workaround to get it working on any 24/96 soundcard, and just tested this again with the newest versions, 16/48 on TMT5, 24/96 with PDVD10, and its not just retail BluRay's, its everything, even standard 24/48 or DTS 96/24 audio in mkv or m2ts files gets downsampled to 16/48 as well.

So its anything but a moot point for those with high end analog audio equipment, and i don't see how unmolested HD audio over HDMI is more flexible, or gives you more hardware choices.

If someone has a high end older receiver, and a high end audio card, why should they have to buy a new receiver and a new soundcard, especially when it could be a sidegrade or even a downgrade in quality.

It's not as black and white as you would like it to be, neither bits of software are perfect, and if you only use HDMI to an HD receiver, want menu's on BD folder rips and don't mind paying $25 more, then TMT5 is great, if not then PDVD10 is better.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  4. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    +1!!!

5. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    considering DVD drives come with DVD playback software bundled, I'm appalled that the same is not done with Bluray drive.

They will drive more sales if they did it this way without jacking up the prices too much.

deltatux

6. FearFactory

FearFactory Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
  7. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Good deal, I used to use it, and was the first BluRay software player to have proper black levels without changing things manually.

It is missing a few features, and it has no hardware acceleration for DVD upscaling, but the upscaling is better than either TMT or PDVD, well I think it is anyway, as it’s the only one that doesn’t add a ton of noise.

Hopefully this does well and the other two have to follow suit.

EDIT: Was at work earlier, looked at the link for WinDVD2010, and it looks even better, apparently it also supports GPU accelerated upscaling as well as 3D, so its as good as the old software method.

Will trial it out tonight, but considering its $35 cheaper than PDVD10 and $60 cheaper than TMT5, it will have to do alot wrong to not end up be the all round best PC BluRay software.

Just noticed this only applies to those in the US, $40 is about £25, but once you change to the UK site, the $40(£25) becomes £60($100):3eyes:

Hopefully its not region restricted, as that is a ridiculous difference.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  8. itzsaint

itzsaint Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX570 SLI
    Actually..... Its a Core2 6600 with an 8800GTS. It was an old build that I am converting. Gook look though. I guess there is one on every forum.

9. itzsaint

itzsaint Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX570 SLI
    No .... But when you buy a car they don't make you pay extra for the key or tires right? I don't mind paying and I guess you overlooked, or, didn't care to notice, I was looking at PDVD to.... wait..... what.... oh yea...!! BUY!

Thanks for adding very little to this thread.

PS. Gas, Breaks, and Tires..... all maintenance/up keep wouldn't you say? I've never purchased a car and they said "Oh yea. To use it you need to buy MORE stuff NOW". See where I am going.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  10. itzsaint

itzsaint Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX570 SLI
    WOW. I just went through some of your posts Purplefish and you have to be the most negative persons on here. Due to my line of work I turn people on to this site daily due to its friendly and knowledgeable people.

I see you are new to this site. Please add something of substance to the threads you reply to.

11. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    I would suggest PowerDVD (not free), but it will integrate with Windows Media Center (free with 7 Ultimate).

Generally I just stick BluRay disks in my stand-alone player hooked up to my TV, or play it in MPC with no menu's (bluray menus are very annoying anyways).

Honestly for most of the movies I own I just download a copy of it already ripped and encoded so I can just stream it rather than having to deal with the disk / format. I like keeping my physical collection and some of them even come with digital copies (albeit with crappy quality) but I also like loading up tversity and media center and streaming all my stuff without having to deal with the ripping / encoding process.

12. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 c216 @ 780core
    No, I was stating that you can go out and buy hundreds of dollars of pc hardware and then your looking for "free" software. Just funny It's like if you go buy a Ferrari and then try beggin your friends for gas money.

13. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 c216 @ 780core
    Actually if you read the sticker on the window you pay for the tires and the floor mats and so on. They might choose to throw in some extras but thats kinda like buying a bluray drive in a retail box that comes with included software not the brown box special that only contains the drive.

14. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Either way PurpleFish, your comparison is idiotic, and if gullible people are going to keep justifying it, then the HTPC market is always going to be worthless.

With present tech, using the PC for movie watching isn't providing Ferrari like performance, anything but, i only do it because i will try to justify using my PC for as much as i can, and i love the challenege, but thats it!!

15. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 1070
    all you need is a blu ray decrypter and then you should be able to use media player classic home cinema. it is not cheap but you can try dvd fabs passkey. it has a free trial but you have to buy it after a month it works well.
    another is makemkv. it is free while in beta but will be like 50 dollars after. it will actually put the movie on your harddrive.

16. tomnomnom

tomnomnom New Member

GPU:
    Do
    Now I realise this topic is closed, but it bugs me that no one has put forward the following points to this argument:

1) I am paying an extra £100-150 to include a blu-ray drive. For this price I could buy a stand alone player, which funnily enough, has software to play blu-ray disks. Why is the drive the same price with no software?

2) When buying the laptop, NOWHERE is it advertised that no software to play blu-ray disks is included. And NOWHERE is it made evident that this would be hard to come by without paying for software.

3) When your computer comes with a DVD drive, it contains software to play DVDs...Funny that.

Now my point is, if you are selling a computer WITH a piece of hardware, it should come with the software required to use that hardware, or be CLEARLY advertised that you will need to pay for it. I accept that the situation is completely different if you have bought the drive as an external piece of hardware, or an upgrade to your system, but not if it is included in the original spec.

Now you may be slightly bitter about this, perhaps as a software programmer yourself, but I in no way believe it is the software manufacturers responsibility, in fact I believe it is the computer manufacturer's responsibility to pay for and provide the software, else they are not providing me with the system they have advertised to me.

17. pythagoras

pythagoras New Member

GPU:
    gigabyte 5750 1 Gb ddr5
    Plots and linux

It prob'ly has todo with the amazing rippage that is possible once the decoding happens. Software vs hardware decoding - anyone remember the dvd decoder cards @ w95-2000sp4? Even Dell(they took the vi out of devill)
    got tricked into upselling their phone-in buyers with these gizmos....I just rented a redbox dvd figuring that my win7 ult machine with a noname bd burner would play it....oops! It's their material - they can charge whatever they want but i sure would like to see this movie....without the grief of installing and maintaining some 3rd party app....anyone tried in linux?

18. RTS100x5

RTS100x5 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 1GB w 54in Plsma
    I agree w PRPLFISH . We dont live in a land of wish in one hand/ spit in the other. We all live in a world based on monetary economics / demand / supply etc..... However !! IF you hold your breath. pinch your nose and stomp your feet long enough, WIN7 just might have a BD plugin w SERVICE PACK 2 :grin2:

19. RTS100x5

RTS100x5 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 1GB w 54in Plsma
    YES IT TOOK 5 YRS OFF THE END OF MY LIFE JUST TRYING TO GET IT INSTALLED ...........CONCLUSION > ITS FREE FOR A VERY GOOD REASON :bang: