France bans English gaming tech jargon in push to preserve language purity

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Horus-Anhur, May 31, 2022.

1. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    France bans English gaming tech jargon in push to preserve language purity

Seems a bit extreme to force people to use terms translated into French, instead of universally recognized terms.
    I can understand that older people, especially non-gamers, might not recognize these English terms, but the most of the world uses them. So it will just complicate things between French and the rest of the world.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    Keitosha, BlindBison, 386SX and 2 others like this.
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    I think France still have the napoleon complex.

4. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    It's unenforceable though if the French are interacting with an international community, then English will likely be used (though history still show the French have endeavoured to make the French language the international standard, look towards the UN as well as Science international communities).

I can understand though that these terms being used on a national level, rather than using loan words, using words appropriate to language and culture but sheesh this is likely to cause division and exclusion in the international community

5. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    This is a very underrated film. One of the best comedies of the 90´s.

Keitosha, Pete J, Airbud and 4 others like this.
  6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    Will they prosecute people who use English jargon?

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    Horus-Anhur and fantaskarsef like this.
  8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I find it funny. My best friend's French and she already told me that France is the only country who seriously has a government agency that cares about keeping the French language alive.
    It's not the first time they "invent" French vocabulary to get rid of (mostly English) foreign words.

Like most Mel Brooks movies I know about. Also, Dave Chapelle, seen him there before he did Chapelle's Show.

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX3070
    Today's kids overuse the english words, at least they do in dutch language. So I can see where they are coming from.
    It is not about not understanding imho, it is about being too lazy to use the native language.

Keitosha, 386SX and CrazY_Milojko like this.
  10. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    France being very anal about their language.

Wouldn't be the first time.

I even personally encountered that when I was in France on vacation and not one Frenchman took the effort to talk in english even when they were capable of doing so.

11. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Well, you're in their country, you shouldn't expect them to speak English for a foreigner, they're probably thinking the same thing too "You've come to my country and you don't make the effort to speak the language". It goes both ways

Hypernaut likes this.
  12. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    There are very few french people that visit Portugal or Spain and make an effort to speak the language.
    But this is not even the question here.

The issue is that the French government wants to force the use of French terms, to replace what are universal terms.
    Now these terms are in English, because this is the most spoken language in the world.
    But there was a time when French was the most spoken language. That's why many words in European languages, have words that derived from French. Including the English language.

13. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    There is such a thing as English-terms bullshit bingo, especially in corporate communication. But replacing single words with Frankenstein compounds isn't any better. What a dumb thing to do as politicians, especially in times like these...

14. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Indeed, English itself is a homogeny of various European languages, by definition, it's a Germanic language and it's a very common thing in English to use loan words from other languages and incorporate them into the language.

15. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They don't force people to use or not use certain words, they simply states what the French words are for official (bureaucratic) documents, such laws. There are many countries with language regulators, though not so much nosy as the French regulator...

16. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    This. I've noticed this too here in my country, not only with my kids but other friends kids and kids from family too. More than few times my own kids they knew words for some term in english but don't know the right word for the same thing on serbian, wth kids!? It's so irritating, at least for me, but it doesn't bother them at all so they use those english words without hesitation and that's why it's even more irritating here on my side :mad:

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    I believe that any language is capable to incorporate words from other languages, to make these its own, to toy with.
    Language is a living breathing thing, and any scientific/bureaucratic committee will always be behind actual state of language.

18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Oh là là là là !
    Pardon my French, but this is what concerns France the most?
    No "cultural enrichment" mentioned?

I can see the point of overusing English tech jargon. But as above said, each nation can adapt or nominate words who are describing one particular process or item.

19. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    Well, you mentioned it (of course you did).

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    we talking usa english or england english? not like gona be enforceable like other have said, anymore then if usa were to force all immigrant to LEARN our language and speak it.