Frametime spikes. I've done EVERYTHING

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Frs4ken, Apr 17, 2019.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Furmark throttles you gpu speed and driver also has a buildin protection if it detects overcurent , and that can be the cause for those drops too.

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I agree, too much going on with furmark to really diagnose. What games and have this issue?

Have you tried setting windows power to high performance and the GPU to prefer high performance? Your frame time spikes aren't that bad, it could be clock changes.

3. ngoni615

ngoni615 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti 11gb
    Perharps his cpu is the reason.

4. Mokum

Mokum Member Guru

GPU:
    x9 290x
    Saturday i got my first Nvidia card after 15 years and had major spikes also in the desktop and youtube .. DPC latency checker showed me lag spikes above 25333uS every 5 seconds... i tried removing drivers and hardware on a software level without result. turned off hardware in my bios. reinstalled windows without result. Had the problem onces before with my 290x amd card and fixed it with cleaning the back part of the gpu .. so i started thinking my msi 2080 gaming x trio isn't compatible with my old x58 mainboard.. But after 5 hours i saw a old hidden HDD with the Powersupply disconnected en i disconnected the sata cable.. Now everything is fine and i love the RTX demos.. I hate those things when looking forward to a new experience but now i love the card hi team green (still i love the years my 290x did enough for me) so im in the nutral team ll-]_

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I have actually seen a similar issue in the past on another users machine, SATA kept stalling out the bus trying to detect the device.

Its either a sata driver or sata controller flaw, it should not be continuously trying to presence detect a powered off drive.

6. fasterfourier

fasterfourier New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB
    Hello, fellow GTX 1060 user here.

As others have suggested, the information that you provide by itself doesn't seem to indicate any malfunction. What exactly do you expect and why do you suppose things are not working as they should?

Enabling the MSI Afterburner OSD graphs for frametime and framerate would give a better picture since they poll much more frequently (does anyone know if they actually record a value each frame?)

It is not uncommon to get spikes now and then in some situations. I have not tested with Furmark myself (not interested in doing it either) but would not be surprised of this type of behavior.

I tested in Superposition 1080p High preset where I get avg framerate 49.12 and min/max 39.64/60.05 - and I have only two or three spikes showing on the regular graph (polling once per second) - I think these show up when the scene changes (not on all of them though).

What score do you get in Superposition 1080p High? - I get 6567 with the 430.39 driver and got 6400+ with older ones?

Why is your GPU core clock maxing at 1749 MHz? Is this something occuring only in Furmark? I know this seems like a regular Boost clock value - but Pascal with GPU Boost 3.0 should get you higher clocks. In Superposition and also in games and other graphics application I get around 1924 Mhz or 1949 MHz stable when not capped and with a proper GPU load.

Is the behavior you show representative for running games - how does your GPU behave there?

7. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 STRIX
    i fixed my problem from bios
    setting called Network stacking

8. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Have you tried to play the games with RTSS framerate limiter on? Then check the graphs to see if they change?

9. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I also get INSANE frametimes spikes, it's almost schizophrenic if you were to look at my graphs, anyone could think my system is broken,yet while playing the games the OSD shows 60 fps at 16.6 ms and they feel ok, which does not mean the brutal frametime spikes MSI Afterburner shows don't worry me. It seems it could be a conflict with a driver or program from my system that makes the graphs go nuts, the framerate bar is perfectly fine, the frametime bar is absolutely crazy and shows giant spikes despite the framerate graph above it being flat 60. I still have no idea why it happens or how I could make the graph more accurate, because what it reports it's so insane that when I was playing the game, it should be unplayable, yet the in-game OSD does not report this, only the MSI Afterburner graphs.

Any idea on why this could be? It really bugs me.

https://imgur.com/a/tRoDDdx

Could that be the reasony why?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Well as long as it feels, plays ok, I wouldn't worry about it.

I never monitored it by those games that had bad streaming stutters, but i bet it would be all over the place.

Smough likes this.

11. Magicblow

Magicblow Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070 Asus Oc
    I have same problem. My framtime was over 2 milions several times. 2.360.000. I don't know what is going on but my pc became trash without reason. I did several Windows instalation and everything what I could do in last 8 weeks trying to fix this till morning every day.

12. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    My games run ok, my problem are the crazy MSI Afterburner graphs that don't reflect how my games run.

13. misiak

misiak New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980
    Hi, were you able to resolve the problem? I have exactly the SAME problem for quiet some time with my 1080Ti and tried almost everything and I'm not able to resolve it. It happened to me maybe twice that for no reason I had perfect frame pacing in MSI Kombustor benchmarks but in a while it sucked again (maybe pc restart) and I got all those damn spikes back. I did change nothing... really don't understand this and it makes me sick.

14. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1660Ti