Framerate limit

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Siberto2, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Siberto2

Siberto2 Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Guys is the Max Frame Rate setting from the NVCP good or should I continue to use game/RTSS settings?

2. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
  3. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I like the new limiter a lot more; when it comes to frametimes its a bit worse than RTSS (slightly less precise frametimes), but the margin its so small you won't ever notice it. Besides, since its build-in in the GPU, feels more adequate imo, for example, RTSS tends to give me suttter on TW3, with the nvidia fps limiter is super smooth and I don't notice any wrong frame pacing.

Try both and I see which one gives you better results.

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    I used RTSS for a while, but noticed it still jumps to 63 even though i limited it at 60.

Switched back to driver level which locks more stable.

5. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 OC/UV
    NV driver limiter does not work well for me with Pascal and DX12/Vulkan (=RTSS graph not flat). I could try on another system with Turing and there it seems to work well with those APIs.

RodroG likes this.
  6. RodroG

RodroG Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti / 11GB
    According to my tentative research and personal experience, I can confirm an overall inconsistent behaviour on DX12/Vulkan scenarios w/ Turing though. Imo, there is still room to enhance the feature. That said, it performs very well on DX11 titles, and specially with Unreal Engine games on my system. Therefore, until now, based on my experience, and according to data from the analysis I linked, I'd say the RTSS limiter would still be kept as the most balanced and consistent FPS limiter option, specially, when all the main 3D APIs scenarios are considered. However, overall, I consider the new Nvidia's CP limiter a very good alternative to the RTSS limiter, currently on DX11 games and 3D applications, and probably, in the short or medium term and with some improvements in terms of frametime consistency, on DX12 and Vulkan scenarios as well. Most probably, the NV CP v3 limiter end up being widely considered as an equivalent FPS limiting solution performance-wise, or even a better one in certain cases.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    aufkrawall2 likes this.