Framerate limit caps typing speed

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by mC2Qe, May 30, 2021.

1. mC2Qe

mC2Qe New Member

GPU:
    Intel HD 5500
    Hello, I just joined guru3d.

I use RTTS to cap GTA Online to 1fps and leave it in the background, letting my passive businesses make money, and drastically lowering CPU utilization, fan noise, and power consumption at the same time.

Sadly, this also affects the typing speed outside of game (Web browser, writing documents, using shortcuts, etc.) so the characters per second always equal the FPS of RTTS's Framerate limit (1CPS for 1FPS).

I can't use any of the AMD or Nvidia FPS limiter tools because I have an Intel HD 5000 Integrated Graphics card.

Is there any way to avoid RTTS from affecting my typing speed?

Thank you

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

If you think a bit, you'll easily see logical solution: set framerate limit for desired application only instead of forcing it globally.

Smough and Passus like this.
  3. mC2Qe

mC2Qe New Member

GPU:
    Intel HD 5500
    I have done that, but as soon as the game starts, the typing speed changes.

RTTS_GTA5_EXE.jpg RTTS_GLOBAL.jpg

4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    You're also creating a problem that really wouldn't exist in any normal scenario...

But im guessing you are running the game in fullscreen mode - if you run it in windowed mode, it's fps shouldn't affect the rest of the system.

5. mC2Qe

mC2Qe New Member

GPU:
    Intel HD 5500
    It has always been running in windowed mode. I suspect that this is an unintended behavior and happens in any app, can someone else give feedback on this?

I know I am doing something unusual, but the application should only affect the framerate of the application without interfering with the keyboard.

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I noticed something like this even without RTSS. I have "background FPS" set to 20 in the NVCP. Some games make keyboard input slow when alt+tabbing out of them. IIRC , it was either Dirt 4 or Grid 2019.

Will need to test again when I get a chance.

mC2Qe likes this.
  7. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    @mC2Qe why are you forcing 1fps on a game in the RTSS GUI and not using the idle framerate limit function for when GTA is not in the foreground?

In the section [Framerate] of the game profile you have to set the option IdleLimitTime=200000 to get 1fps ifthe game is not in foreground.
    If it is the foremost video you'll get full fps automatically.

mC2Qe likes this.
  8. mC2Qe

mC2Qe New Member

GPU:
    Intel HD 5500
    I just didn't know about it. It works but the same problem appears, as soon as I start using other apps, the keyboard becomes very slow and impractical.

9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    OK, I just tested and the issue is there with Dirt 4 and Grid Autosport (not Grid 2019). If I cap the game to 20FPS in RTSS and alt+tab, keyboard input in Windows is very sluggish with lots of lag. Same exact thing happens when I cap FPS in the nvidia panel without RTSS running.

So maybe it's a Windows 10 issue.

10. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Doubt that it is OS specific. More likely it is game engine specific, technically any application can easily block input for whole OS but I hardly see any sense in doing so inside the game engine. Probably game developers tried to minimize input lag by blocking input while presenting a frame.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yep!, funfact, tabbing out of some gsync enabled games does exactly the same thing.