Framebuffer 100% and GPU load 16% constant in idle

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by Arcanu, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Arcanu

Arcanu New Member

GPU:
    RX 580 MSI
    Hello,

fresh win install with new GPU. Everything fine in MSI Afterburner, few days later framebuffer 100%, GPU load 16%. Read article about crypto currency mining malware (I am sure I don't have it). Reinstalled win, everything fine in Afterburner. Few hours later I installed Logitech Gaming Software and again 100% fb, 16% load. I reinstalled win again, MB drivers, AMD driver and Afterburner show again 100% and 16%.
    Is there a Afterburner sensor/code issue OR is there a problem between AMD driver and Afterburner?
    Global WattMan shows 0% GPU activity, also few other windows monitoring software didn't show any GPU load, also GPU Z shows 0 GPU load.
    Do you know where can I read out framebuffer stauts? Couldn't find in GPU Z or AMD driver.
    I am really interested what your Afterburner says about FB usage.
    I read that some people have same FB and GPU load value like I do, others have no such readings (all with AMD GPU).

Here are 3 screenshots. One with logitech software is not important.
    https://imgur.com/a/CmfZe

Thanks for reading.
    My specs:
    Windows 10 Pro 10.0.15063
    intel xeon e3-1231v3
    asus sabertooth z97 m1
    rx 580
    Radeon Softwareversion 17.7.2
    Afterburner from MSI website, later I installed 4.4.0 beta 16 from here with same FB GPU load.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    What resolution and desktop refresh rate are you running if I may ask? 1080p / 60Hz?

3. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Maha Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X Fury"X" (unlocked)
    Are you installing Overwolf with the Logi software? It’s an overlay, might be the cause.

4. Arcanu

Arcanu New Member

GPU:
    RX 580 MSI
    QWHD 144 Hz.
    I never installed Overwolf and on this win installation never installed Logitech software.
    EDIT: Switched to 1080p with 50 Hz, FB 100%, GPU 16%.
    EDIT2: After work (in 7 hours) I will install win on old drive and will make some experiments with Afterburner.

5. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Hmmm overlays could indeed do some weird things. Although I'm surprised that switching to 1080p/60 doesn't change anything.

6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Well I googled a little, but besides this thread (LINK) I did not find anything.
    Disabling that svchost.exe isn't the best idea though like one of the guys in there did, I guess it's a driver bug? Don't know though, can't test myself sry.

7. Arcanu

Arcanu New Member

GPU:
    RX 580 MSI
    Thanks for the link, I read it before but while reading it again I remembered that I always download some regedit files from how to geek (no one drive in windows explorer and old photoview from win7/8). Maybe they have some virus in them? I will test it today.

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    I don't think there's a virus in such things but maybe it's about a simple thing that just is exceptionally interacting with the driver. Sorry I can't really help on this one.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Well clearly it's a program you installed be it that logitech software or whatever.

You don't need that *gaming* software anyways.

10. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Maha Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X Fury"X" (unlocked)
    ]

I would have no llighting, LCD, DPI etc if I didn’t have the Logi Software. At least it’s semi integrated as both KB/M are all handled by it as a single program.

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Well uninstall the program and see if it fixes your issues, if it does well then you'll have to complain to logitech.
    Does it need to be running in background for your use?

12. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Maha Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X Fury"X" (unlocked)
    It’s been established it’s not the problem. But you don’t have a nice mouse with software? RGB Keyboard? My mouse and keyboard(G502,G19s) neeed it. My point was the “extras” like Overwolf. Nothing wrong with G Software

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    RGB in my opinion is cheap/gimmicky/childish etc.
    I have a deathadder that has it's own software that you can change lights to what you want and uninstall the software afterwards.

Mouse has onboard memory so it's not necessary to keep that program running unnecessarily.
    Maybe your mouse doesn't have onboard memory, who knows.

Either way, I have no interest in RGB.

Anyways, use a spare drive and do a fresh install. Install things one by one until you find the culprit.
    Then you can go back to main OS and fix the issue.

14. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Maha Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X Fury"X" (unlocked)
    It’s not just lightning...my G19s has a an LCD which AIDA64 lets me make my own monitoring screens with whatever sensor data I want.
    Now regardless the software is eliminated let’s just leave it.

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury OC
    Does the "i" button on the main MSI Afterburner image display anything when pressed? It should show among other stats a list of currently detected running 3D Processes, if it does you might want to apply a profile for these and disable monitoring for them. :)
    (This can be services, applications and background software of all sorts, not just 3D games and programs.)

I use Corsair myself which is off aside from the main driver just to avoid conflicts though I do not know how the current Setpoint software is in terms of compatibility, LCD info sounds like it would require at least the background services to provide data to and from the hardware for things to work so eliminating it might be undesirable even if you might be able to save LED data to a onboard memory profile so a blacklist might be able to work around compatibility issues, if there are any. :)

Something like the task manager or the SysInternals process explorer or process monitor utilities might work to more in-depth determine what is running and being accessed, bit more advanced to use though but it's an idea too if the problem persists.
    (IE checking what exactly the RTSSHooks .dll files are being accessed by, generally that's a lot of software though and without any problems.)

16. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

That's known issue, July AMD drivers broken that in multiple tools. But at least it can be bypassed at monitoring tools level somehow, considering that there is updated GPU-Z with workaround for it. Cannot promise that I'll be investigating it in nearest time, currently there are much more important tasks in the development schedule then hunting for endless bugs derived by AMD GPU driver team.

INSTG8R likes this.
  17. Arcanu

Arcanu New Member

GPU:
    RX 580 MSI
    Thx for the link Unwinder. Yes it was caused by the 17.7.2 driver. 17.1.1, which is installed by windows automatically, has not this issue. I think will play games with 17.1.1

18. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Please give beta 19 a try. I think I added workaround for that, but I cannot test it myself as I currently have no 5xx family cards installed.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/rtss-6-7-0-beta-1.412822/page-42#post-5479753

RzrTrek likes this.
  19. khanmein

khanmein Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
  20. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX580 (8GB)
    [​IMG]

I was running Afterburner 4.4.0 (Beta 16) and had the same problem.

Download the latest beta (19) and it should read correctly.

Unwinder likes this.