FPS monitoring programs cause huge fps drop for no apparent reason

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by skoolz, Feb 18, 2013.

1. skoolz

skoolz Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 3090
    I just upgraded my CPU from an AMD 1090t 6-core to an i7 3770k (ty micro center). The first game I reinstalled was Far Cry 3. I ran it, and am now capable of running it on ultra with what seemed like an incredible, constant fps (most likely 60fps b/c of vsync).

So, I wanted to see the exact fps, and installed Fraps. But when I played with Fraps on, suddenly, the fps was dropping to 30 fps when looking in certain directions while outside. It would not drop below 30 fps, almost as if it was purposely dropping to a set lower bound fps. Anyways, the gameplay was VERY noticeably "sluggish" due to this drop. So, I closed Fraps, and lo and behold, FC3 felt beautifully smooth again in the exact same locations. There were no apparent fps drops and I could honestly tell that the fps was at 60fps, and at least no lower than 50.

Thinking it was a Fraps related issue, I installed Afterburner, and it did the exact same thing. Has anyone ever heard of this? Now I can't get an accurate fps reading and performance benchmark because of this. I assure you it's not some placebo effect making it seem "sluggish" just b/c I have the number in front of my face. The difference between the fps when a monitor is running vs without is like comparing apples to oranges. I haven't been able to test another game yet, but I have run the new 3DMark, and received a 9920 physics score, 7761 graphics, 3018 combined, and 6901 final score in the Fire Strike benchmark. This seems completely normal to me for no overclock and a 7970 single gpu.

Ideas? Is there a better forum for this?

2. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    When using Afterburner select in the on-screen server settings "Raster 3D". That seems to have a far lower impact on FPS than the other options.

3. skoolz

skoolz Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 3090
    But should it be causing that huge of an impact especially with my CPU? I mean, this wasn't happening at all with my 1090t. Going from that to a 3770k is a huge upgrade, and it's noticeable when the monitor isn't running. This doesn't make sense to me.

4. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    I'm guessing that your old CPU was bottlenecking your 7970 to such a degree that the issue simply did not become noticeable. The overlay should only increase GPU load.

5. skoolz

skoolz Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 3090
    Ok... I think I solved my own problem. I'm pretty sure it's just something gonky with Far Cry 3's optimization, as it has always been. I tried it again with Fraps, but this time, when I had the low fps, I alt-tabbed out and back in, and I was getting 60 fps in the same spot I was just getting 30. And then it stays at that performance level for the rest of the session. I do remember this sometimes happening before the upgrade/reformat, it was just never caused by the fps monitors before. Anyways, good to know it's not my system.

6. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Anyone back this up? Would I even notice a difference? Non so far...

The default is Vector 3D.

7. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    I tested this with the Heaven Benchmark and a 7950, raster 3D had the by far smallest FPS impact in that scenario. It might be different for different GPUs, haven't tested this with my 670 yet.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013