FPS Limiter with Nvidia's Next Drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MfA, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    and consoles have built in Nvidia FPS Limiter lmao

2. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    FPS limiter would be awesome for us who don't like vsynch!

Can set a high enough fps limit for the perticular graphic engine to run at its best but at the same time avoid running 500+ fps and overheat gpu :)

3. boOzy

boOzy Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon R290
    Wouldn't FPS limiter cause input lag just like vsync, or would it be less? Do you still need to use triple buffering?

4. leaker

leaker Member

GPU:
    lulz
    Not at all.

5. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Tearing is annoying as crap on a 60Hz LCD, and VSync has some limitations... so I welcome this feature with open arms.

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    tearing will still be there, try a pcsx2 emulator and see for yourself.

7. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    tearing at 60fps?

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    yep :)

i hope nvidia's drivers work better then the fps limiter in pcsx2

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    You can get tearing at any framerate, just because it matches the screen refresh doesn't mean the frames are syncronised, and most of the time it depends on the game/engine.

Recently played Fifa12 demo at 200fps, and there wasn't alot of tearing, but the PES12 demo had some of the worse tearing i have ever saw, and that game is capped to 60fps.

10. boOzy

boOzy Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon R290
    Tried for test in Bad Company 2 and it works great. Using Dxtory.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

11. Turdhat

Turdhat Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 X
    Global pre-render set at 1, vsync always on, triple biffer via d3d overrider. No tearing and no perceivable lag. What the vsync hate ? I have felt a small amount of lag but never enough to make me feel like it was a problem. I hate tearing so much. With this limiter you will still have tearing no matter what you set it at depending on the game engine. This feature is long overdue. I have a 580 at 945 and everything I play runs great. GTA IV and its addons though.. Ugg. Even with an I7 at 4.7 and the 580 that game just chugs sometimes. A 40-45 fps cap on that game should do the trick. Damn Cryrsis 2 Dx 11 makes my card cry. I hate inconsistent frame rates. I never play on going SLI. Too much money and too much power draw. Plus the fear of microstuttering. I am super sensitive to frame rate.

12. flimbo

flimbo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Been having lag, stutter and fps issues with Assassins Creed Brotherhood so much that it was a game breaker. Tried Dxtory and limited fps to 30fps it runs much better now. No noticeable frame dips and stutters anymore. Might be able to play it now.

13. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    pes 2012 is butter smooth for me with no tearing. bf3 i get tearing though. (cant get vsnc on atm).

is this fps limiter out yet or to be released?

think it could be interesting. i'm all for a constant fps. but isnt that engine/lag related?

i.e the fps limiter is only as good as the engine in question. (as it is for vsync atm).

14. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Must be screen based then as the PES games have the worse screen tearing of any game i've played, Crysis games i never notice any tearing, but i know other people who do.
    Not tried the BF3 beta, as have to wait till tomorow, but didn't have much with BC2.
    You not use d3doverrider to do the vsync, i haven't used ingame vsync for years, even have that to startup when i log into my gaming partition.

Possibly, i suppose, but when i used to use the dx9 framerate limiter i never had any issues, we will just need to wait and see with this

15. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Looking forward to this feature being implemented.

Been having a play with Dxtory as mentined in this thread.

Wow..... makes a really nice difference in BC2 for me.

I cant stand vsync due to input lag. So using dxtory & limiting the fps to 60, whilst not completley removing screen tear on my 60hz monitor, gets rid of 90% of it and the game just feels so much smother and responsive with zero input lag.

16. Lange_666

Lange_666 Guest

I'm definatly PRO. Since it's a option means you have a choise and if you don't like it or don't have a need for it, just don't use it, no harm done, everybody happy.

But then... what's the use of capping a game's FPS to let's say 40 if anything under the monitors refreshrate (60 in my case with VSync on) shows a stutter (mostly viewable on fast moving terrain or objects)?

17. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Because 40fps constantly might look smoother to some people than 40-60fps.

I'm one of those people, if it was a constant framerate i would eventually get used to it, but having it jump up to 60, then back down to 40 is just distracting, and annoying everytime it drops.

18. BamBoozleD

BamBoozleD Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 670 FTW LE Sli
    I would like this feature, 60hz is nice, but I cant stand vsync lag.

19. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    PS3 maybe, both Xbox and Wii use ATi gpus, not that the Wii GPU could pull 60 fps in any demanding game anyway lol

20. Carstuar

Carstuar Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 Twin Frozr III
    Blergh! I need this feature yesterday!