FPS increase in games after ALT+TAB

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by klunka, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Arkk

Arkk New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    I would like to share that i have 2 displays (My main in dp, and my second on HDMI) I switch my monitor over to my second and the fps problem was fixed! i put it back on my main and it just instantly when from around 300 back to being locked at 142. I think it is something with the monitor profile. Does everyone here, that has this problem, have NVIDIA control pannel for their graphics?

2. Arkk

Arkk New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    I was just messing around with my settings and i went over to G-SYNC and disabled the option "Enable setting for the selected display model" and it fixes it somehow. idk how it affects it but i guess it does.

Attached Files:

3. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Just commenting that I noticed something sort of like this recently -- when playing Crysis 3 with G-Sync I have to alt-tab the game out then back in when its running or I get really bad microstuttering (g-sync panel + control panel v-sync ON + in-game v-sync OFF). But, if I tab out then back in it goes away. Tested this reproducibly in the level with the Ceph + night time setting/bog-swamp setting before you take the elevator down.

So, uh -- really weird eh?

4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    games do weird stuff

I get low gpu usage in valhalla unless I toggle adaptive resolution on.doesn't even have to kick in,just be enabled.what's funny is I can then toggle it off and it runs fine.explain that....

with g-sync it's always been kinda dependent on the game.some run worse with it.I don't mean fps but overall smoothness,especially pre-gsync era games run better when you lock the fps to a fixed value,although I've encountered modern ones too like Vampyr.
    with most modern games,it's life saving though.I can play valhalla at 45-50 fps and still get very playable experience,no tearing,no stutter,responsive kb+m controls.

but the more games you play,the more problems you're gonna encounter.

5. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    Maybe its just desktop values and not the apps that the overlay shows you these 10secs after alt tab? Lel