Fps capping in competitive games

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by robis85, Sep 18, 2019.

1. robis85

robis85 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 960 1gb
    Hello people, i got question about capping fps on games like CS:GO. I play competitively i would really love if anyone could help me with that :) Question is should i cap it at 300 like all csgo pros do or cap it below monitor refresh rate or keep i uncapped like 999 or 0? for most competitive environment only :)

Maybe it depends on my pc specs? becouse i see all pros use fps_max 300 but its stable on their streams always 290/300 on my pc it jumps from 200 to 300 to 700 in different situations. and i feel alot input lag when i set it on fps max 300 less on fps_max 999 but it feels alot less smoother.

My pc specs: 16gb slow rams
    cpu: i5 8400
    gpu: gtx 960 1gb
    Monitor: LG 144hz without gsync
    Thanks alot for help!!! :p !

2. robis85

robis85 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 960 1gb
    forgot to mention my psu is some old 500w :)

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Just cap ot at your monitor refresh rate. Whats the point having 300fps when your monitor can show only 144?

robis85 likes this.
  4. robis85

robis85 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 960 1gb
    hello, thanks alot for reply! People in csgo community often claim that more fps= less input lag and that atleast 300 is needed for max performance or 2x your monitor refresh rate

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Could be, yes. If i let my fps uncapped (playing lol) i use freesync+enhanced sync to reduce input lag, thats gsync+fast sync in your case. Playing demanding games im using frtc+freesync to stay in the range.

robis85 likes this.
  6. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I must be getting old because I still think a solid 60fps is plenty. However if you're playing competitively then you do want at least 100+fps. If you need more fps then you might want to upgrade your video card.

angelgraves13 and robis85 like this.
  7. robis85

robis85 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 960 1gb
    thanks for reply! Csgo is cpu heavy so i think my gpu isnt that much of a deal, but still bottlenecking nontheless i guess. nowadays pros play 240hz monitors so 240 fps is least imo :D

jbscotchman and Undying like this.
  8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Another thing is that many competitive players actually put their settings on low to get the most fps they can.

robis85 likes this.
  9. robis85

robis85 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 960 1gb
    i do that aswell :) but still cant get decent fps afterall my build is meh`ish

10. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Your CPU is fine. I would upgrade the GPU a tad to get better frame rates because it seems like to me that your GPU is holding you back a tad.

11. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090

If you had Gsync, Id recommend capping your FPS, cap the FPS to 142FPS and enable V-sync, this way you would force Gsync to always be enabled reducing input lag and Vysnc screen tearing would be minimal. Since you do not have Gsync, I would recommend forcing Fast Sync In control panel for the game and run it capped at 300 for smoothness and low latency. if you always stable at 300fps in game, I would invest in a 240hz monitor with 1ms input lag with gsync, if your serious about being competitive, but that might need a more powerful GPU.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    robis85 likes this.
  12. robis85

robis85 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 960 1gb
    Thanks alot for reply! :) so u think in general having good gpu/monitor and enabling g-sync got more pros than cons? Compared to vsync/gsync/fastsync off no frame rate limiter and tons of fps who will shutter a bit but have less input lag? Worth sacrifice for few ms?

13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    smooth, tear-free butter playback > latency

14. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    I have a lot of hours in CS:GO, here's my two cents.

G-sync becomes irrelevant in CS:GO because of how high the FPS reaches . I would have to disagree that pros cap their FPS at 300, there isn't an benefit to capping the FPS beside utilizing less GPU power. If there is even a fraction of a doubt that capping may add latency, you should turn it off. Fast sync will add input lag, very significant if you flick a lot; your cross hair will trail your mouse movement.

Playing on 128 tick servers will significantly decrease your FPS; which is what pros play on, so keep that in mind as well. De_cache + 2 mid smokes + 128 tick murdered my old rig, lol.

I haven't capped my FPS for a long time, but the reason I never stuck with it is because it definitely does not feel as responsive as leaving it be (fps_max 999 or 0). I wouldn't say its input lag that is as prominent as when you would add VSync of Fast Sync, it just 'feels' slower. Sure you can't see the difference, but that doesn't mean there isn't any difference; for me, its how it feels.

Playing a competitive game, you should care more about performance than image quality, I play CS at 1280x960 stretched on a 27 inch at the lowest setting. Does it look good? No. Does it frag well? Yes.

Ideally you want a TN panel at the highest refresh rate you can afford, turn the settings down and leave all Sync OFF. G-Sync is irrelevant even when left ON.

robis85 likes this.
  15. robis85

robis85 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 960 1gb
    Damn! thats alot of information :O yeah smokes execute on any map makes my fps from 300+ to 100-. But few csgo players use fps_max 300 for sure and the best ones like niko,coldzeras,s1mple,ropz all use fps_max 300 somewhy ofcourse bigger part uses 0 or 999, i think capping fps for excample on 300 and having it stable on 300 helps your consistency somehow? but my rig is too bad to keep 300 fps at all situations i should cap it then at 100~ i think not worth it? :D

16. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    The problem is that motion at 60FPS still looks too blurry on modern displays. In other words, you lose resolution during motion. This is the main reason you hear so many people say that they don't want to go back to 60FPS/60Hz after they get used to higher framerates.

In other words, a higher framerate and higher refresh rate pretty much manifests itself as a graphical upgrade. There's a very big increase in resolution during motion. Once you get used to that, if you switch back to 60, it feels like dropping the resolution of the game to half and getting a blurry image during motion.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  17. euskai

euskai Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    I agree, I've found that for me, the subjetive smoothness of games is at it best at 80-85FPS, or even at 100, depending on the game.

Not that 60 FPS feels laggy or anything, but with fast movements 80+ has a silk smoothness that 60 hasn't