Found a workaround for the Radeon RX 5700 XT fan control not working with MSI Afterburner

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by EpsilonsQc, May 31, 2020.

1. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700 XT
    Step by step solution :

- Go to AMD Radeon Software
    - Open the Performance tab
    - On the Performance tab, open the Tuning tab
    - On the tuning tab hit Manual next to the Tuning Control option
    - Once in Manual tuning mode, enable the Fan Tuning

With the Fan Tuning enabled on the AMD Radeon Software, MSI Afterburner start to monitor fan speed again on my ASUS ROG Strix RX 5700 XT (GPU fan speed % and GPU fan tachometer RPM)

On MSI Afterburner, the manual user-defined fan control still wont work with my card (show 0% and 0 RPM all the time) but you can set a custom fan curve here :
    AMD Radeon Software / Performance / Tuning / Manual / Fan Tuning.

Also, if I don't enable the manual fan tuning on AMD Radeon Software and keep the default settings (Automatic tuning), the Performance Metrics of AMD Radeon Software will show 0 RPM fan speed even if my fan are spinning.

Their seems to be a problem related to fan control / fan monitoring within the AMD Radeon Software driver solution.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    so you should be telling it to AMD.

EpsilonsQc likes this.
  3. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700 XT
    I've done exactly this and I recommend anyone who is facing the same issue with GPU fan control on MSi Afterburner to report it to AMD aswell.
    The more people who report it, the bigger the chance that this problem receive a fix one day.

Here's the Link to report bugs/problems with the AMD Radeon Software driver :
    http://www.amd.com/report

I'd recommend to share the following link (which explain the issue we are facing in detail) with AMD within your report :
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/a...t-working-with-msi-afterburner-v4-6-2.432077/

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    Maddness likes this.