Forza Motorsport 6 Apex for Windows 10

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Havel, Mar 1, 2016.

1. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5700xt 8gig
    Well according to the recommended specs of this game i am ok other then my processor though. I will be playing at 1920x1080 on my dell 27" monitor. So i should be able to play pretty much maxed out setting? I will report when it is done downloading.

2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    I reckon you'll be ok with it. Just check the screen resolution and then play it as it is to see how it works. I haven't touched the settings on mine, works fine, looks great apart from some corruption during videos, but, that might be optimus problem.

3. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5700xt 8gig
    Well playing on high setting at 1920x1080 it works great. FPS are around 59-60 all the time.

4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    Neither of you have the hitches and stutters that I do? They are almost always in the same spots of each track, like the game pauses to load the next section of the track or something. Also, do you guys get some CPU cores/threads maxed out and others doing nothing? For me, threads 1 and 4 sit at 100% while the others do nothing.

5. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5700xt 8gig
    I think it hiccuped one time tonight and thats because my ram is pretty much maxed out. Game play is smooth though. No idea what cores are doing what but if i run other programs and try to play that becomes bottleneck and game plays really slow. So i5 can play it as long as its playing the game and not trying to multitask at same time. Maybe its a nvidia issue?

6. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    You would have to give me an example to test for you. The hitches I get are very minor, maybe 1-2 per race. The game is 99% smooth for me. I'm also running it from SSD here. I also haven't checked cores yet cause it's running fine.

7. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT 16GB
    Still does not have it.
    They release paid content but cant release a simple fix to allow 21:9 resolutions to be used.

I dont care if I dont have a 21:9 hud, I just wanna have 2560x1080 or 3440x1440 selectable.

FH3 is fun as hell to play but I also love circuit racing as well.
    Its unplayable on a 21:9 with side borders.

8. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT 16GB
    Anyone with an i5 is fine. Game does not work well with i7s and hyperthreading. It does not use eve 4 cores of my 12 threads.
    If I turn HT off and run just 6 real cores with no HT on, it uses almost all of them quite well.

Though I did have an i5 4460 before, never tested in this game before I sold that rig, but it did become almost maxed out in alot of games cpu usuage wise.
    I even had it locked @ 3.4ghz boost clocks.

9. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    Pretty much every track with any amount of cars. Yesterday I played on Brands Hatch, Yas Marina Corkscrew at night, Top Gear full in the rain. All of them have these hitches in the same spot every lap. I didn't keep exact track of turn numbers, but it felt like each time I exited/entered a sector. If you look at the map when you are loading each track, it shows the sector markings. I've tried the game on 3 different Win 10 installs, 2 of which were clean. Also run the game from an 850 EVO, VX500 and WD Black. The SSD's have more stutters/hitches than the HDD every time.

Interesting. I'll have to try assigning the game to only physical cores via Task Manager to see if that does anything. Then I'll try turning HT off to see what that does. I really would like to buy FM7 on PC later this year, but no way I would consider it unless it runs AT LEAST as well as it will on X1.

10. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    I don't think I'm seeing this problem. I can make the game stutter a bit if I deliberately crash right at the start of a race, but, that's only minor.

I tested BH, YMC and TGFR like you listed. Have you tried setting brakes to ABS? It could be the braking assist? The game runs pretty smooth here tbh and all my tests were with full 16 cars.

Also, do the stutters happen on straights?

UPDATE:

I think I've found a potential trigger for the little horizontal lines/corruption. Sonic Dash seems to exhibit the same problem, but, in the in-game gfx, when I set it to full-screen, so, I think that full-screen mode maybe buggy, at least on my optimus laptop. I have now tested this and confirmed that run in a window there is no corruption.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017

11. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    Yes, the stutters did happen on straights as well. As for the assist, I've been playing Forza for 11 years now (since the original on Xbox came out) so I use no assists and all the hardest settings.

I HAVE GREAT NEWS!!! Sorry for the caps, but I finally have the game tweaked and running better than on an X1. I've been trying to get this game running smooth since launch day, months ago. As odd as it seems (I'm still scratching my head) the game works absolutely perfect when I use Task Manager to assign the game .exe affinity for ONLY the HT threads. As in "cores" 1, 3, 5, and 7 out of 0-7. Here is the testing I did at 4k with Dynamic optimization on Ultra and what happened.

HT on, load game and just play it = Stutters and hitches that I complained about earlier

HT on, .exe affinity for only physical cores (0, 2, 4, 6) = 10x worse stutters and hitches. Totally unplayable and always under 60FPS.

HT off, load game and just play it = Same as above.

HT on, .exe affinity for only logical cores (1, 3, 5, 7) = Absolute perfection. Zero stutter or hitching. I played every single track in both rain and shine (where applicable) with all 16 cars, making sure to stay mid pack for maximum stress, and every race ran like glass/butter/baby bottom!

I should also mention that changing the .exe's priority from Normal to Low seems to either completely fix or mostly alleviate any memory leaks I had before. Altogether the game runs better and looks better than X1 now. I can't wait for FM7 now that I know how to get Apex to behave. Not sure if this will help anybody, but this is just how things played out on my machine.

12. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    That's great, will have to try this later.

I also have good news, I fixed my video corruption and little horizontal lines issue in full-screen mode.

For Optimus laptop;

In Nvidia control panel set preferred gpu to integrated.

This also fixed the problem for Sonic Dash (in-game gfx lines) as well as Forza Horizon. Both Forza games will still use Nvidia GPU so it doesn't affect ability to play those games. Corruption in videos and sometimes menus is now gone.

13. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    Glad that you were able to fix your issue with the game. I figured I would throw in one more tweak for people to try. My brother saw me playing FM Apex and wanted to see how he could run it with his i5-2310 and R9 280X. He was getting some pretty bad stuttering and hitching even after trying all of the applicable tweaks I mentioned above. We thought "what the heck" and tried just lowering the .exe's priority to low without touching anything else.

Lo and behold he can run it just fine with high settings at 1080p! No stutters even in the rain at Spa. The list of tweaks to try for this game keeps getting larger, but hopefully one of them will help somebody to enjoy this game.

14. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    I miss the days when we could download stripped versions of WinXP. I still have a music making optimised WinXP running on an old laptop that works great for that specific task.

I would like to see a version of Win10 stripped and optimised for gaming.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't think it's necessary these days, every time ive tried it makes zero difference, and often breaks stuff.

Even on the wife's 5 year old laptop it made no difference for games.

Will be interesting to see what this new "Game Mode" does, but don't see it doing anything different to manual tweaking, or those one click game boosting programs.

16. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    Nobody has posted in here in 2 months, but I figured I would put my best settings out there for somebody. Maybe FM7 on PC will be on the same engine and need some of these tweaks. I hope not, but here we go. I've tested nearly every setting imaginable between OS settings, power plans, NVCP settings on/off, in game settings 1 by 1 and so on. Here is what I've landed on for a 99% locked 60FPS.

OS tweaks = none, except pagefile on a drive that is not currently holding the game files, set to 16384MB min and max to make it static.
    Power Plan = High Performance
    NVCP = defaults, except prefer max performance for this game profile
    Game settings = 4k resolution, Ultra dynamic optimization setting. This does end up with 30FPS in menus and intros, but a solid 60FPS in races.

I let the game boot up and get to the part where it is slowly circling the car, then I Ctrl+Alt+Del to open task manager. Go to the details tab and change the game .exe priority to realtime, not low like most people are using, and then play the game. Don't touch the core affinity in this game like with FH3. I think that is about it. It took me many hours of testing to arrive here, so I hope it might help somebody.