Forza Horizon 4

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 10, 2018.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Isn't there a demo?

EDIT: Yeah there should be but of course it's going to use a separate exe file and need a different name for the profile even if the engine and functionality is the same between the demo and the retail version.
    And by default the WindowsApps folder is protected and requires ownership to browse and get at the actual files or use of third party software.

EDIT: No perhaps it uses the same name for both. ForzaHorizon4.exe

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Demo works fine with third party overlays, looks like they changed something in retail build.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    P.S. I'm playing as a lady for a change (the one with the curly locks in the top left-hand corner) but only because the male characters look so dead-eyed and mannequin-like. It's fair so say that the character models are easily the weakest aspect of this game. For the first time ever in a Forza game, you own your own house and can dress your avatar with different clothing items and accessories. Very reminiscent of Test Drive Unlimited 2 actually.

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The demo worked fine with RTSS/Afterburner v4.6.0 beta 9 but for whatever reason the final game doesn't. At least, that is what I presume is what is preventing the game from loading on my system as creating a RTSS profile and setting the overlay to Off allowed the game to work fine when I played it this morning. Maybe there is some kind of anti-cheat code in the final release that is interfering with Afterburner? The demo was, after all, offline only.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Hmm that's curious, good to know though. :)
    I know way too little about UWP but yeah they do have the Windows 10 OS anti cheat system now that is in the settings app I believe, that profile seems to work though so it's not interfering here and it just needed the same compatibility settings.
    (Still, it's interesting how it worked in the demo but not the full game.)

EDIT: Unless the demo used DX11 and the full game is going for DX12 but that seems convoluted to have separate API's unless the DX12 one needed more work or something, eh whatever the case it works now at least with those settings being used. :)

6. HellSpawn2097

HellSpawn2097 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX1070 8G
    I just began playing this morning, my first Forza title sinds forza 3 on xbox.
    All on ultra, 60fps locked, blown away by the graphics.
    Handling is very good imo, with a xbox one controller.

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Thanks for the reply, Unwinder.

I am using the ForzaMotorsport7.exe template renamed to ForzaHorizon4.exe but I never thought to test it with the overlay enabled. I will enable it later and report back here if it works.

The reason I copied the template and renamed it was because, by default, I have RTSS globally set to display the overlay in all games. I only add per-game templates if I need to disable the overlay for certain games or if I want to use a different colour or style.

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I'm pretty sure the demo was using DX12 as the RTSS overlay was working in it. All the Forza games to date use DX12 I believe, certainly Forza Horizon 3 and Forza Motorsport 7.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  9. Unwinder

It looks like it is their anticheat/protection related issue so tweaking RTSS OSD profiles won't help. There are similar reports for OBS, EVGA Precision and even TeamViewer:

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/...ED--Opening-game-problem--PC.aspx#post_963033

None of these tools support overlay for UWP games, but they do hook game process. So most likely their protective system itself is crashing. And if that's the case amount of different applications affecting the problem will be insane. I'd expect it to be fixed with future FH4 patches. For now RTSS exception profile with fully disabled hooking can be used. For the rest affected applications the only way would be closing those apps before starting FH4.

10. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080Ti
    This is so annoying. Thanks for explanation, Unwinder. How can I add exception profile in RTSS? When I try to add ForzaHorizon4.exe in RTSS I get "You don't have permission to open this file".

11. Unwinder

If you mean adding a profile via GUI, than you don't have to browse for exact location of any executable when adding a profile. Just click "Add" button and type desired executable name in any folder.
    If you mean editing profile templates folder contents manually, then it is under UAC protection (as any other folder inside "Program files"), so you must edit it from any file manager with full administrative rights.

Glottiz likes this.
  12. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5600XT G. MX
    Damn, my game keeps crashing every now and then.
    It goes to a gray screen and then crash.
    But, what a wonderful game, looks great and feels great.

13. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE RTX3090 OC
    Hmm demo just blue screened my pc. First game ever on my new pc.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I haven't had any crashes as such while playing, only the RTSS one yesterday when the game froze when I tried to bring up the onscreen overlay. However, I have noticed that the longer I play the more hitching I am starting to get, as if the game has a memory leak or is running out of memory. These hitches last about half a second at which point the game seems to slow down then suddenly speed up like its trying to catch up! This is accompanied by a noticeable increase in LOD issues on trees and grass pop in. This was after two hours of playing the game though, not that that should make any difference.

*UPDATE*
    According to the Known Issues thread over on the official FH4 forum, the tree LOD issue happened because I had changed the MSAA setting from 8x to 4x when I increased the resolution from 1440p to 4K. I was prompted to restart the game but declined as I was about to start a race. The game then proceeded to apply the MSAA setting and that’s when I noticed the tree LOD issue. You *must* restart the game when prompted.

Oh, and I tried the copied ForzaMotorsport7.exe RTSS profile template (renamed to ForzaHorizon4.exe) with the overlay enabled but the game will just exit to the desktop during loading after a short while. If I disable the overlay in the profile then the game will still continue to crash to the desktop during the initial load. It is only if I manually close both MSI Afterburner and RTSS that the game will actually load.

*EDIT*
    Duh, I used the wrong profile!

Originally, I copied the ForzaMotorsport7.exe profile in the RTSS Profiles folder, which was one I added myself some time back, and renamed it to ForzaHorizon4.exe. I should have used the one in the RTSS ProfileTemplates folder as when that one is copied and renamed to ForzaHorizon4.exe then I can run the game without having to close MSI Afterburner and RTSS.

However, if I enable the overlay then the game still crashes during loading.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    MerolaC likes this.
  15. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5600XT G. MX
    Thank you for your input, Darren, always appreciated!

In my case, it seems to be a stability issue with AMD video cards, or so I've read in the Forza forums.

I guess I will wait for a patch or newer drivers.

16. shafat777

shafat777 Active Member

GPU:
    2x Gtx 980 SC 4GB SLI
    Can anyone plz help me? I have no sound in game. The intro videos have sound but the menu and ingame is dead silent. I am using nvidia 1080ti hdmi audio output to a yamaha receiver. Running 411.70 drivers.

17. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti Poseidon
  18. darrensimmons

GPU:
    GIGABYTE RTX3090 OC
    Read my post on previous page.

19. shafat777

shafat777 Active Member

GPU:
    2x Gtx 980 SC 4GB SLI
    I tried it but still no sound in game. But thnx for the suggestions. appreciate it

20. darrensimmons

GPU:
    GIGABYTE RTX3090 OC
    Did you restart pc? I had to do this before it would work.