Forza Horizon 4 removes Carlton and Floss dances from game after Fortnite lawsuit

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 16, 2019.

1. dragonlord

dragonlord Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Beta Tester
    You can't copyright these short sequences of moves.

This is the government copyright office doc.

https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ52.pdf

"Individual movements or dance steps by themselves are not copyrightable, such as the basic waltz step, the hustle step, the grapevine, or the second position in classical ballet. The U.S. Copyright Office cannot register short dance routines consisting of only a few movements or steps with minor linear or spatial variations, even if a routine is novel or distinctive.

Examples of commonplace movements or gestures that do not qualify for registration as choreographic works or pantomimes include

• A set of movements whereby a group of people spell out letters with their arms
    • Yoga positions
    • A celebratory end zone dance move or athletic victory gesture"

These morons just capitulated to something wherein the plaintiffs simply have no case whatsoever.

2. Roboionator

Roboionator Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI
    HI,
    Maybe someone knows where to buy at the lowest price? :)

3. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Cosmetics and stupid dances is something I really disliked about this game, should of spent the dev time overhauling their UI or some of the car models that haven’t changed since FH2.

big ROBOT bill, Loophole35 and Valken like this.
  4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    His dance is stupid enough, it won't be missed.

5. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Yeap, you are absolutely correct! I completely misread the title/article! :p

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    Would someone actually PAY to license those dance moves in a game? If so, how much and why? Considering I don't think anyone would pay, it's hard to fathom any monetary losses over a dance. On a side note, can a dance be copyrighted and if so, to what end? This whole thing just seems stupid starting with dance moves being in a racing and shooter game at all.

7. matox

matox Member

GPU:
    8870M - 2GB GDDR5
    What did I miss here? Last time I checked Forza was a driving game. What happened?

INSTG8R likes this.