Forza Horizon 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700XT Raw II
    Well I have quad channel 1866 DDR3 @ 1685 mhz.
    If i try to go higher, no matter what it wont post with this overclock.
    Ive had this ram @ 1996 on stock volts on another X79 board.
    AIDA64 Extreme Cache benchmark gives me 62.5ns for response time.
    Read is 45040 mb/s
    Write is 48352 mb/s
    Copy 41807 mb/s
    Im on z107 DDR4 3200 mhz dual channel performance with X79 quad channel DDR3.
    Game is on a 512GB 550mb read/write SSD.
    Game runs 40-60fps @ 2560x1080 most of the time.
    290x is overclocked to 1130/1500 with an AIO.

2. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti
    Odd. Can play at 4k here with all ultra. Only get drops in the city and even then its cpu not gpu limit.

3. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

it is wierd, I havent tried Ultra without it being set in dynamic TBH. Right now, I'm at Ultra most settings besides car detail and its no problem, obviously now dynamic is off. Im mostly jiggling between high and medium settings to run at 6k near 60 fps atm.

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Allright, after an evening of testing I've found that the following works best on my machine.

¤ 1440p
    ¤ Ultra preset
    ¤ G-sync disabled
    ¤ 60 fps lock
    ¤ V-sync enabled ingame

With these settings the stuttering is almost gone and the FPS is mostly stable but can go down to the 50s in events with many cars ahead of me and debris flying here and there.

The following settings don't work for me:
    ¤ Disable CPU0 - I actually have less stuttering with all cores enabled
    ¤ CPU Prio "Low" - This introduced extreme stuttering
    ¤ NVCPL "Prefer maximum performance" - The GPU usage is still lower than expected no matter what I do.

I can still get FPS drops but they're rare. They're easy to spot on the MSI AB graph too since everything goes down like, GPU Power, GPU Usage, GPU clock (down to 1759MHz) and CPU Load on all cores.

I've not tried the High preset yet but I don't want the game to look ugly and right now it really looks fantastic! Even though I can play like this I'd be happy to find a way to increase my FPS to be able to try my usual settings and maybe "High" is the way to go?

I've also not tried playing on my TV but I'll need to make sure that works too. I honestly expect rock solid 60fps due to the lower resolution.

I honestly dont know. This is the first time I buy something on Win10 store but on the other hand I've installed free programs from the store and I only have one button to press - Download, there aren't any other option. Maybe it's just your US version that has these options?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016

5. mindaz3

mindaz3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    When you press Download, there should been a pop up asking to choose a drive. I think it was added only recently. Can't remember having a choice for install Apex.

Anyhow, you can change drive after install too, just go to your apps list, select app you want to move and press button that says "modify".

6. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    You get the option to install to another drive if your default location doesn't have enough space for the game.

Otherwise you have 2 options to change the install location.
    1) before downloading the game change your Win10 default apps path.
    2) after downloading the game use the 'move' option to move the game to another drive.

I personally have done option 2. I download my Win10 store games to default location then move them afterwards to my gaming drive.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Okay, thanks guys. Might try putting the game on my HDD just to see if there is a difference.

8. deets75

deets75 Guest

anyone get caught up in the bans recently that are supposed to be false?

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Looks like there is a new update for Forza Horizon 3 to go with the various Windows updates that are currently downloading on my PC.

10. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    Where do you see this? I have looked in Windows update and the Store and I see nothing.

Notice any changes?

Thanks.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I manually checked for updates this morning on the Windows Store and there were four, including ones for Forza Horizon 3 and Halo 5: Forge. And, yes, Forza Horizon 3 was already updated to v1.0.17.x so this is definitely a new update.

Unfortunately, it appeared to be a fairly large update so I did not have time to let it finish before I had to shut down my PC to leave for work. Maybe it's an update to finally add an icon to the game shortcut when you drag it onto the desktop (it currently shows as a white blank icon!). ;)

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Yea, I was playing the game yesterday evening (around 22 CET) and I had to restart it. Then it told me that I had to install the update (1GB). At first I didnt recognize any improvements but later I actually felt that even more of the stuttering was gone. I still wish the GPU load could go up to max when FPS is unlocked but yea, maybe they'll get there eventually. Oddly enough I had to manually apply the update (the small arrow) since Windows Store didn't do it by itself.

Mind you CPU0 is still doing most of the work and this time around I feel that disabling it and having the load evened out on all cores makes for a better experience.

The last hour of gameplay was stutter free and 100% stable 60fps. I was around Sunset Strip earlier that evening and unfortunately the FPS goes down, especially in events :/ But that was pre-patch, maybe it's better now?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  13. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    Thanks for this!

I restarted my PC and now I see the update. I have not noticed a difference so far but will keep playing. Still getting CPU0 maxing out at 100% but I will disable that and see how things go.

14. zimzoid

zimzoid Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Where's the demo?

15. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti

16. lantian

lantian Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4gb
    Am I the only one for whom entering menu messes performance up completely. If before I do that it is running at 55-60fps than after I open up menu it drops to 21-28fps and no matter what I do it doesn't go up. Any ideas?

17. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I have Apps set to automatically update and FH3 did just that without a problem. I'm at 1.0.18.2.

18. NODO-GT

NODO-GT Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2070
    I haven't tried playing this game after launch. it was unplayable back then.

I started up it today downloaded latest updates/patch and also AMD Drivers.
    Game is super smooth and 90% of time locked 30FPS 1080p on my 380x, of course I'm running without MSAA and shadows on High, everything else is ultra.

I had it on my HDD and it stuttered a lot even with this latest updates, so i moved it to SSD and it made huge difference.

also on my old i7-920 all 8 threads are used pretty equally, first is a bit more stressed, no need to disable first core...

19. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    There are two problems with FH3:

1. There may be a bug affecting rival races because after winning a race, I am asked to race the same rival again.

2. I can't assign the buttons on my Logitech G27 wheel/pedal set to different keys because the WindowsApps folder is protected and can't be accessed by me or other software.

Any suggestions?

20. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I found my problem with getting into online play. I could get into online play after going through the process of re-enabling teredo tunneling which kept getting automatically disabled every time I restarted the computer. I was using the free version of Panda Antivirus which I really liked but after completely uninstalling that and going back to Windows Defender, there are no more problems. Teredo stays enabled and the online parts of the game connect every time.

If people are having problems they should definitely suspect any third party AV's and firewalls as being the culprit.