Forza Horizon 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I play with Dynamic Optimizations on but I went to advanced just to see what settings were being used. Everything was on High with AF at 4X and MSAA also at 4X. I have frames locked at 30 and it's silky smooth. Why the game originally defaulted to Medium I don't know. Maybe because of my CPU or RAM or maybe both.

I'm one of those who never sees any difference between 30 and 60 fps. I usually set up my games with settings as high as they can be while maintaining 40 fps. 60 is not a necessity. I actually never find a game unplayable until the framerate drops under 15. I never notice any bad stuttering until then.

2. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    All they do is say we rant. While they accept paying 3x the price on hardware for a PC and playing the games at console levels which can be had for much cheaper. If you're fine with 30 fps, just buy a PS4 and call it a day. What purpose does owning a gaming PC serve if you spend additional money to be conservative or accepting of limitations that never used to be there?

Whatever. I'm 35. I had a good run of when gaming was gaming and DLC didn't flood markets, when a game released it was done, there were no day 1 or day 365 patches. Etc.

Everyone just accepts what they're told. In life, not just this industry. It's just an extension to life. :bang:

3. deets75

deets75 Guest

so deep...

4. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    So I will be getting this later on for pc then. Got it for X1 since ah living room gaming. And my cpu is still crap.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Allright, played for about an hour and these are my findings.

1. The stuttering that everyone is talking about is definitely there, which is odd since people with 6700K have reported no stuttering after last patch.
    2. My FPS scope is pretty broad - from 80-90 on the road, down to 60 in villages/settlements/dense forests
    3. Tried playing on my TV but I cannot get a stable 60fps which is super odd since I get the same FPS at 1440p playing the exact same event than at 1080p on my TV.
    4. Tried locking my FPS to 30 but the sensation is so "choppy" that I cannot tell if the stuttering is there or not.

Best results so far is 60fps lock on my normal screen, stutter is there but a bit less noticeable and the fps is pretty stable.

MSI AB overlay doesn't seem to work in game but I checked the graphs and Core 0 is doing most the work (as previously mentioned by many people, honestly I thought this was patched?) like 90-95% whereas the other cores are doing some 25-35%. Disabling Core 0 gave me massive drops when I launched the game but stabilized later to 50-60% across all cores. This didn't eliminate the stuttering.

My GPU load is not 99% as with other games but more around 83-85% which is also weird.

Did get one massive FPS drop while playing (down to 40fps) and at that time MSI AB reported a sudden drop in GPU power, down to 30%.

I'll try disabling G-Sync now and see if it gets better. By the way, the game seems to be running in Windowed Fullscreen so I'll try setting G-sync to that first.

Edit - Disabling G-sync doesn't really help much since you loose the smoothness of G-sync. I found out that G-sync enabled in Windowed mode + CPU 0 disabled works best.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    You can play a game at console levels and pay roughly the same for the hardware.

I'm also 35 and have a much more negative memory of the past.
    Back then we had lower standards, and problems were never fixed and you just accepted them as you didn't know any better.

This might have got lost in the other posts, but anyone any info on the demo?
    If this has already been answered, my apologies but i have checked and can't see anything m

7. maxx126

maxx126 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    You're right, xbox one can run this game @4k Ultra settings so I wasted my money when buying my 980 Ti. Sigh...

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If forum comments are correct, then the majority of PC gamers are running the game at settings and framerates at least as good as the X1.

If a 1080/30 console game costs £50, should a 1080/60 PC game cost £100?

9. deets75

deets75 Guest

im guessing your not using frame smoothing?

edit: your FPS going from 90-60 but locking to a solid 30fps feels "choppy"...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2016
  10. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    The most absolutely hilarious thing though. Ahahaha...im giggling as i type this..

Is that EA and MS have withheld their most recent titles by a few days and then told gamers that they can play it early if they pay X amount of dollars ON TOP OF the price of the game....

And gamers have actually fallen for it...ahahahahaha!

The games are finished, theres no reason to not launch them other than taking advantage of these retards who cant control their spending. There is no reason what so ever to charge gamers to play earlier, if anything, its doing EA and MS even more of a favor as it means once the game laucnches for everyone, there will be less load on the servers...

Oh..and, and this early access fee means that Publishers have found away to charge gamers to beta test games.

Poor ports, overpriced games, "early access" fees...ahahahaha This IS AMAZING!

Yes, clearly im the bad guy, clearly im the one with the problem. Nothing at all wrong with this industry.. nope, its all fine, im just a master racer.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If these people are happy enough, then what's it got to do with you?
    You also don't appreciate capitalism lol.

I don't think there is an additional early access fee for EA games.

12. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

Never, considering our buying pushed the boundaries to where they live at today, to a large degree. This gimping business on PC gamers needs to be adressed!

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I've tried with and without Frame Smoothing and having it enabled (which it is by default) certainly improves things but doesn't eliminate them.

The FPS varies on location. It's not like the FPS is 90 on a road and the next second its 60. If I'm on the road and start driving through a forest the FPS goes down which is natural.

I've only had one frame drop so far which I mentioned in my post.

About the 30fps thing, well I cannot explain it better than...obviously it feels choppy since is so few frames per second. I guess one way of describing it would be that the frame time of one stutter is equal to the frame time of a 30fps lock :)

There you are. You talked about 4k/60fps when playing this game when I'm ranging between 50-60fps when racing inside a settlement at 1080p on my TV (mind you I get the same FPS at 1440p on my gaming screen).

14. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

Its interesting. I am currently testing out whats good for 6k. With Medium dynamic 60 fps limiter I get from 52 -60 fps. I honestly have no idea what the cpu is doing, but the game hums along always at 60 fps with the settings I listed in a previous post. The Card runs it proper over here and the only difference we have really, is the CPU type I think.. I have XMP 3400 for ram.

Also too, I read somewhere that SSD and the whole encrypting thing might be an issue with speed timings etc.. I have my program installed on a SSHD. So it is slightly slower than SSD and might be helping there too.. But thats just the only diferences I can think of. Seriously, set things to limit with vsync and test out med/high/ultra and then tinker from there...
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2016
  15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Okay, thats interesting. I havent seen your settings yet (would you like to link the post?). Could be interesting if you could check MSI Afterburner and see how your cores behave during gameplay - and also your GPU. Oh, that's pretty fast RAM you have there...but if we trust the speculation concerning the speed of the XBONEs ram (2133?) vs what the PC should have, I'm fine with my 2666MHz.

SSD/HDD could be a problem, since I cannot change the install directory I'm stuck on my OS SSD. I'll try decreasing some settings and see if it will help. I'm also opting for a OS reinstall since I've not done one for some time.

Edit - Found these fixes that I need to try:
    ¤ Set "Prefer maximum performance" in NVCPL
    ¤ Set CPU priority to Low

16. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

I have same gfx card as you, these are the settings I use to get 60 FPS Locked.
    Full Screen > ON
    Frame Rate > 60
    V-Sync > ON
    Motion Blur > OFF
    Resolution > 4096 x 2160
    Subtitles > OFF
    Show FPS > ON
    Framerate Smoothing > ON
    User Interface Scale > 30
    Dynamic Optimization > On
    Dynamic Render Quality > High

If I go to the advance menu, it will turn off dynamic optimization but this is how it is listed.
    Preset > High
    AF > 4x
    Shadow Quality > High
    Motion Blur Quality > High
    Environment Texture Quality > High
    Static Geometry > Medium
    Dynamic Geometry > High
    MSAA x4
    FXAA > Off
    Reflection quality > High
    Windshield reflection quality > High (This is the best windshield quality I have ever seen even at high.)
    Mirror Quality > High
    World Car LOD > High

The above settings give me 60fps locked even in rainforest and city (which kills the card -10fps in Ultra to above 50fps mostly maintaining at 54fps in rainforest,) with a slight stuttering here and there when you need to dodge incoming cars/traffic only visible in Ultra mode.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks for your post.

I'll tinker with this and hope it will get better.

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You should have had the option to install in a custom drive when you downloaded. Maybe you skipped through it and didn't realize. I have heard that the game does do better on a HDD.

19. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

I also overclock the crap out of my UNCORE or cache as I used to call it. Out of the box its 2900, Im running my cpu 4500mhz OC and 3500 mhz Cache overclock, Im sure thats got to be helping any single core performance if its doing that..

20. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I've been wondering if system RAM speed, and possibly cache speed, have to do with who can run near 60FPS locked and who can't. I'll have to check again but I don't think Digital Foundry mentioned RAM speeds when they used a Titan XP. Can we get some replies from Gurus with things like RAM speed, cache speed, SSD or HDD and game performance?