1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forza Horizon 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 13, 2016.

1. deets75

deets75 Guest

any more info as to why not?

2. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RX 480 Nitro 4GB
    It makes alot of sense.

Its another for of BS drm.

3. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti
    I can run at 4k 2xmsaa 60fps and 1440p 4xmsaa all ultra solid 60 so you should be fine,

just make sure to do the cpu uncheck trick unless a patch comes out.

4. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RX 480 Nitro 4GB
    I wonder if RadoenPro will work with UWP games?

I think Ill try it with APEX. That game
    hates Hyperthreading big time on my cpu.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Well the game unlocked here in the UK at midnight so I got to play it for around 90 minutes before bed (which was very naughty of me as I had to be up for work at 6:30am).

Anyway, the game auto-detected Ultra dynamic settings at 5K on my PC so I turned off optimisation, set the resolution to 4K and cranked the MSAA up from 4X to 8X. The game ran mostly fine at 30 fps except for some odd but thankfully rare half second freezes that occurred from time to time (looked like the game was going to crash and happened while racing at speed). I also some really glichy LOD transitions at one point in a forested area and along some fences (the game was literally changing the models alongside the car as if it didn't know which it should have been showing. There is also a really annoying texture glitch on the distant mountains where they appear to switch between low and high detail models almost in time to the music (it literally looks like they're pulsating to the beat!).

I tried the game at 60 fps but while it was not unplayable the inconsistency in the controls and framerate at it wavered between 40 and 60 fps meant it didn't feel great and I ended up switching back to 30 fps. Even at 2560x1440, the native resolution of my display, the game failed to hold 60 fps and I'm loathe to turn off MSAA as it just looks so better with it on than off IMO. FXAA is absolutely the worst kind of anti-aliasing IMO unless used with temporal AA or MSAA (and why not use the superior SMAA anyway?).

Game seemed great fun but clearly needs a patch to fix the performance issues. I mean if my PC can run the game smoothly at 30 fps at 4K locked and at 40-45 fps at 4K with 60 fps then it follows that it should be able to handle 60 fps at 2560x1440. Fortunately, 30 fps feels perfectly OK for this game and feels comparable to the Xbox One demo I've played. Not ideal on much more powerful hardware but at least the game is playable and it's running at 4X the resolution of the Xbox One and with higher quality visuals.

Incidentally, the game initially ran some kind of optimisation pass at the start; what is it actually doing here?

P.S. How do I access the Warthog in this game?

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    There might be room for further optimizations of the game itself but from what I have read these new UWP games (ReCore, Forza 3, Gears of War 4 once released.) make use of a full file encryption method that decrypts and encrypts files on the fly leading to some pretty high IO activity ("HDD trashing") and thus in-game stuttering and framerate fluctuations so that might be the main issue even on a SSD system.
    (I'm guess it's somewhat comparable to when Steam decrypts a preload archive though perhaps maybe not quite that intensive since Steam probably uses heavier encryption still plus high compression of those archives as well.)

7. KodiaRok

KodiaRok Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2080TI
    you get Access to the warthog when you played the Masterchief Collection or Halo 5 Guardians.

If you did, then you get a message through your Xbox Messages in either the Xbox App in Windows 10 or on your Xbox. You have a Code there to redeem. I did it last night, but didnt get the Warthog yet, maybe it takes some time.

Hope that helps :)

8. KodiaRok

KodiaRok Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2080TI
    Just a quick Information about the "stuttering" or "lag" fix. Once I launched FH3 last night, I disabled the Core 0 like suggested and it worked for me! Running on 4K and 60FPS, game is now locked at 60fps with small occasional Dips to 50fps, but no stuttering, no lag anymore...pure joy and smooth gameplay!

Problem is, you have to do it each time you Launch FH3, but considering that the Fix works, means a lot more to me...10 seconds and it is applied!

I run on a 980TI Extreme Clocked from Zotac, Performance is suberb!!!

Do you guys race with the Xbox Gamepad or with your Keyboard? Maybe even a Steering Wheel?

9. Kezen

Kezen Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I don't take the word of a redditor at face value, there is no proof it's related to decryption, correlation is not causation.

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I played Forza Horizon 3 last night when it unlocked at midnight using these new Game-ready v372.90 drivers and came across some annoying issues. One is parts of the roadside scenery such as bridges and fences sometimes flicker on and off as I drive them as if the game cannot work out whether they should be shown or not.

Here's a couple of screenshots I took. The first one highlight the issue as you can see that the sides of the bridge are floating in mid-air:

[​IMG]

This is what it should look like (I literally reversed a few feet...):

[​IMG]

I am also seeing flickering textures on distant hills and mountains that is extremely distracting. I thought the issue might be caused by MFAA which I have enabled globally but even when I turn it off in the Forza Horizon 3 profile the issue still occurs.

Is anyone playing this game on NVIDIA hardware having the same issue?

(Playing at 4K and 30 fps using maxed out settings with 8xMSAA by the way.)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

11. Eero

Eero Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Now with the cpu core 0 affinity and low priority tweak I get smooth 60fps with 1440p ultra most of the time.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Seeing as there is a somewhat working fix (disabling first cpu core) I bought the game. I will play some tonight. It's one of those games that the PC platform has lacked severely in the past. This should fill the gap for those looking for a nice relaxing car game on PC.

I will play this hooked up to my TV (1080p). Here's to hoping that with mostly Ultra settings (don't mind dropping some settings down a notch) and some modest AA setting I can hold 60fps.

13. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    To you sir, I wish good luck. My massive headache of an experience with Apex has made me think better of buying FH3 so far. We have similar systems and TV's so I'm curious to see how you get on.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'll make sure to report back with my impressions.

15. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    What MSAA are you using? That glitch on the right side happens even to those (like me) with 21:9 screens.
    Bump the MSAA to 4x or 8x and it goes away. Fxaa should be on.

16. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    I got a PPPoE connection, and everytime i start the game, says im not connected to the internet. I alt tab back to desktop and the stupid game closes my internet connection. If i try to reconnect, it does, but still i cannot access any web site, until i reboot.

WTF ? I think im getting a refund, had enough with windows store games...

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Please do, this game looks like so much fun but will the bugs and problems take over the overall experience? The game costs a huge amount of money so it really needs to work perfectly.

18. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Well, runs like ass on my system even with core zero disabled, I don't mind turning settings down to get a stable frame rate but having to restart the game for some settings to take effect is frustrating.

19. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Dang. That sucks. Sorry to hear that. Maybe it has something to do with your CPU? I only say that after just having watched this DigitalFoundry video that touches on CPU's near the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofFpnArXbJ8

20. xinelo

xinelo Member

GPU:
    Aorus eXtreme 1080Ti
    It also works for me! No more stuttering-lag.

Do you know if there is any way to create uwp shortcut using the desired affinity? It would help a lot.