Forza 7 PC Demo coming 9/19

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by SerotoNiN, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I believe I have fixed the framepacing (microstuttering) issues by copying a profile from RTSS's Profiles folder and renaming it ForzaMotorsport7.exe. I then set the Framerate Limit to 165 (the max refresh of my G-SYNC display) and played about two hours of this terrific and dangerously addictive game. It felt so much better and almost on par with the Xbox One version in terms of overall smoothness except for the odd split second 'hiccup' every now and then which doesn't happen in the console version. Apart from one alarming bug where the track and scenery disappeared bit by bit across a five lap race of Silverstone, forcing me to drive only using the racing line since the road was not visible (!!!), and a couple of crashes to the desktop, the game has been great. I suspect the game has some kind of memory leak though, which would explain the crashes, some odd slowdown in the post-race menus and the disappearing track. Nothing a patch or four won't fix.

2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    @ Darren Hodgson, do you have any of the Windows gaming settings enabled, ie game mode, game DVR and game bar? Some people managed to fix the stuttering by disabling those settings. I always disable those settings, it's one of the first things I do after installing Windows, and I had zero stuttering or frame pacing issues with the demo. I don't have the retail version though. Not sure I will buy it, as I'm not really a big fan of racing games, though I appreciate the tech that goes into making them.

3. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    it is a dangerously addictive game, it has been ever since i knew about a racing game called forza,
    im playing pcars now i wish pcars had the force feedback rumble of the controller like forza its just amazing how u feel the road in forza

4. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    2x TITAN Xp SLI
    I have Forza 7 Ultimate Edition installed on both Xbox One S and PC. It runs beautifully on both platforms. Graphic is superb, too.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Project CARS 2 is a great too but it is also buggy on my system, more so than Forza Motorsport 7 as I've twice gone from 1st to last place during two separate races on the 2nd lap despite there being no penalties and there's a replay bug where the menus disappear if you use the Photo mode and exit it (this is replicable on my system). That said Project CARS 2 runs superbly, albeit at 2560x1440 rather than the 4K of Forza 7, and hasn't crashed once in the 8 hours I've been playing it. Graphically, Slightly Mad Studio's car is very good but a bit rough around the edges in comparison to Forza 7 with LOD issues on trees, lots of aliasing (jaggies) no matter what anti-aliasing method I select and some noticeably low-res texturing on decals and so on. Project CARS 2 does seem to be realistic when it comes to handling though; I've yet to drive any vehicle in Forza 7 that felt unwieldy whether in dry or wet conditions yet driving in the rain in Project CARS 2 is actually scary as you fight for control of the car on straights never mind when cornering. I'm not sure whether it takes it too far however as one Invitational event I played in a Porsche in dry conditions on the beautiful point-to-point Azure track was absolutely impossible and I gave up after the 15th attempt to complete it.

Both games are great but Project CARS 2 definitely seems more like a true simulation, even with the assists on, than Forza Motorsport 7. For me, Forza is just more pick-up-and-play, being accessible, beautifully presented and packed full of content. Project CARS 2 feels a bit more low budget in comparison and not quite as polished but I still find myself wanting to play it due to it offering more of a challenge. It's a shame though that its Career mode feels so unrewarding to play; offering nothing but a static image for a win and a dull trophy animation for completing a competition. Forza 7 constantly rewards you with XP, levelling up, new cars and animated podium sequences.

6. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    i absolutely agree on how unrewarding the game is, while forza is the icing on the cake for career rewards when u win.

7. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    Darren Hodgson@ you are playing forza 7 on both platforms, xbox and PC? I'm just wondering if xbox one gamepad connected to the PC will also support impulse triggers as in console version, can you test that?

8. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    2x TITAN Xp SLI
    I'm not Darren. But I've been playing some UWP games on both Xbox One and PC.
    Impulse triggers works great on PC with Forza 7. It worked great with Forza Horizon 3, too.

LuckyNumber8 likes this.
  9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Game DVR was disabled, yes.

The issue was definitely bad framepacing because with RTSS forcing a framerate limit of 165 FPS the game has been running 99.999% smoothly. Played it tonight for a couple of hours and experienced just two very minor, almost unnoticeable stutters, otherwise the game ran as well as it did on my Xbox One. I don't think the game has been patched yet since it came on Friday but it needs a fix for this. I'm sure I heard this issue mentioned in a YouTube video I watched too... I think it was NX Gamer. who does excellent tech analysis videos like Digital Foundry only he doesn't release as many sadly.

10. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    So after refunding, I come to find there's apparently no physical copies of Forza. Digital distribution only. Which is great since the Windows Store won't let me have it (it resets download, repeatedly).

We used to have to install with 17 floppies. Now I can't install at all. I sure love progress. =P

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Even if there was a boxed copy of FM7 I suspect that it would contain just a download code as seems to be the way of things these days for PC. I admit that digital is convenient but with game sizes increasing it is also useful to have some kind of backup you can fallback on it if you need it rather than have to redownload 95 GB again (which on the Microsoft Store relies way too much on luck as to whether it will complete without restarting from zero part way through!). Annoyingly, you cannot even backup Store games to external drives like you can with Steam and if the game corrupts then you cannot even validate the files either.

FM7 is definitely more focused on delivering an entertaining racing game first and foremost whereas PJ2 is more about delivering a realistic driving experience at the expense of any sense of reward or progression beyond winning the actual race, of course. PJ2 is a much drier game but despite that I still find myself returning to it between sessions of FM7. I think the games compliment each other despite appearing to be very similar on the surface.

big ROBOT bill likes this.
  12. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    Last night, I bought and downloaded FM7. Tonight, I raced cars around some tracks in "Free Play" mode. Screen updates are usually smooth and a few jerkiness. I put FM7 on HDD instead of SSD because I don't have enough space on SSD for the game.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit build 15063
    GeForce driver version 387.68
    GeForce GTX 970 card
    16GB system memory
    Intel I5-4670 CPU
    Gigabyte Z87X-OC
    1920x1080 graphics resolution
    Logitech G27 wheel/pedal set

I found out that in-game steering wheels turn 90 degrees left and right. The G27 steering wheel turns 180 degrees left and right. Any tips and tricks for the game?

13. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Master Guru

GPU:
    R480+ Nitro @ 1425/2030
    I find the FFB very lacking in Forza7, I have the same wheel, I use the Logitech gaming profiler to set the FFB at 150% so at least you get some feel.

14. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    I may have to try that as I agree, lacking.

I think it's also because the just released PC2 just nails it when it comes to FFB. Makes Forza's driving shortcomings much more apparent.

Forza went overboard on the presentation to the point I'm finding it annoying at times. Just shut up so I can drive. Also not a fan of requiring an internet connection so I can play single player. Why force this? (connection here is crap). Is it so I can download rival drivatars for each race? I really couldn't care less about that novelty if that's the reason.

big ROBOT bill likes this.
  15. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I was racing a car on a track when the game "froze". When I pressed the [ESC] key, the Windows desktop came up. That was weird.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Here's a strange thing... I forgot to uninstall the Forza 7 demo when I installed the full game and last night noticed that the demo updated on the Windows Store. On loading up the demo I noticed a new option in the Graphics settings to show the framerate, similar to the one in Forza Horizon 3. Anyway, I loaded up the full game and that option is missing from the full game! Why would Microsoft patch in a framerate counter for the demo and not the full game? You could argue that it is there so people can gauge how well the demo runs on their PCs before deciding to buy the game but I wouldn't have thought it would have been that difficult to also patch the full game at the same time to include this feature, just for parity's sake.

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    They need to fix the maxing threads. I'm getting hitching at 90fps in the damn game. Both my 2600k at 4.6 and my 7700hq are exhibiting the same behavior.

18. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I got Error Code: 0x803FB107 while installing Forza Motorsports 7 and Error Code: 0x80070002 while installing Hoonigan Car Pack. How can I fix the problems?

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Is that error still there?!?!?

It's the same ones I was getting when I tried to install the Ultimate Edition at launch? In the end the only way I could even get the game to download was to update to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (v1709 build 16299.xx)!!!

Not saying that you will necessarily have to do that but the Windows Store is such a piece of... sorry Microsoft... garbage that it's a miracle when any thing of a notable size actually downloads on it. Microsoft should either fix this or just let the games be released on other platforms such as Steam. I know they have the PlayAnywhere thing where you get the Xbox One and PC versions but, in all honesty, I could not care less about having the game on Xbox One; I only really want the PC version.

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    This is an interesting article: https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/10/16/forza_motorsport_7_video_card_performance_update

Basically, the v387.92 driver improved performance in Forza Motorsport 7 by 10-16% (NVIDIA claimed up to 25% but the testing never came close to that number) on the GTX 1080/GTX 1080 Ti over the previous v385.xx driver, both of which are stated to be "Game-Ready" drivers for this title. The article also asks the question that if AMD Vega cards weren't performing better than NVIDIA's card at launch would we still have got the performance increase in the new driver?

It's an interesting question. It does look a bit like NVIDIA are either holding back performance intentionally or, if they aren't doing that, then they aren't doing enough to ensure that there cards are getting the most performance out of their drivers unless they're losing against the competition. Either way it doesn't make them look very good IMO. I've noticed that NVIDIA no longer lists performance improvements for their games like they used to.

LuckyNumber8 likes this.