Fortnite

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TheDeeGee, Aug 26, 2013.

1. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    As a game dev. using UE4, i'm exactly on the same mindset. There isn't a single game made by Epic that i've liked at some point. Not one.

2. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    Shame on you both. Original Unreal was unlike anything seen before, then UT99, UT2004, GOW1,2, Bulletstorm (sub studio dev). All great games.
    The lack of new game releases in recent years was caused by internal problems. Also UE4 wasn't supposed to be just an UE3 evolution. They were working on completely new engine with massive multicore support. That took its toll.

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    BulletStorm was People Can Fly. Epic produced the game, in the same way 3D Realms produced Max Payne, but Max is still a Remedy game.
    And Epic did a god awful job marketing BulletStorm. Childish commercials with people from Epic cussing at the camera, thinking it's cool like ten year olds.

And, no shame. People are allowed to like and dislike whatever they want.
    I agree that Unreal, technically, was a marvel. Beautiful to look at, but... the game just dragged on and on. Multiple times while playing I felt like areas should've been cut down, as they felt bloated and stretched out simply "because".
    The game's visual splendor gave way to tedium the more I played. Add in some really bad level design in some later areas... and at times, it was a chore to play.
    It may have been "unlike anything seen before"... but that doesn't make it a good game. Just makes it pretty.

The first UT, as I said above... was great. But, the series just declined with each following entry. Year, 2003 and 2004 looked pretty... but they weren't nearly as fun to play for me. I can play UT with my wife for a long time, but, the following games we both get bored while playing.
    And Gears of War... the second game is great. But the first, is a bit bland and lifeless. The characters became interesting in the second one, as they were better written, handled... just... better.
    Add in better pacing, environments... the first Gears is, like Unreal (IMO), a game that got a lot of attention because of it's visuals at the time. Otherwise, a one trick pony that wears out it's welcome a bit too quickly.

4. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    Fortnite: Battle Royal just went F2P and I'm downloading it now. I have 130 hours into PUBG so I'm interested how this compares.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Wanted to force V-Sync in the NV Control Panel for some testing, but Fortnite ignores it.

Is this an Unreal Engine 4 issue?

6. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    Well Fortnite runs like an absolute dream, I'm getting double the frame rate of PUBG and it has no stuttering or other technical issues, and that's whilst playing on high settings instead of very low. It just goes to show how good Epic are really, they tossed this together in no time and it runs flawlessly.

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Not really, Fortnite been in Development since 2011.

Sure the PvP part was done only recently, but they already had the majorty of the game sorted.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They actually had PVP in the Alpha (I want to say OT4 or 5ish) but it wasn't battle royale. So the groundwork for most of it has been done for years.

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    I only got onboard during OT8 :p

That said i been playing it daily for 50 days now.

Only paid $20 as i got Standard Edition for Free and then upgraded to Deluxe.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Lol - I don't know how you play it. I really liked it during OT3/4 but the game basically went downhill every update since then. I wasn't even able to get out of the first zone before quitting due to boredom on release and I played with 3 friends. It was abundantly clear that Epic was just trying to money grab with all the last minute design changes like the heroes system - and now attempting to pivot the multiplayer to be yet another battle royale clone - which I don't mind in a vacuum but with all the other issues going on in Fornite and even Paragon/UT - it's just bad development.

11. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    A game so lame it has to copy another successful game's mechanics just to maintain their relevance even after it went from paid alpha to F2P... LOL...

As least the game engine has been beta tested thoroughly...

12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    And PUBG stole it from a movie... so lame they couldn't come up with it themselves.

Might be better if this topic gets closed, too much hate towards this game.

13. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I really don't want to devolve this anymore but Player Unknown was the first person that I know of that did copy the movie theme into a game.

No one else brought that theme into a game before him.

He also did 4 other variations before anybody else copied him such as the Culling and before PUBG was released.

ARMA 2 DayZ mod, DayZ SA, ARMA 3, H1Z1.

He made the game style popular. But I get it. It would be like saying all the DM and TDM games were copies of Doom DM game play. Probably correct there too.

The point is that THIS game's ORIGINAL game mechanics is lacking by all the comments here and should have been the developer's focus to revise instead of copying someone else's game mechanics or game mode.

If you enjoyed the game for the original play, I applaud you and wish the developer would make THAT their focus and improve it for the rest of us instead of trying to take a slice of the Battle Royale market

BTW: The two Battle Royale movies were fantastic and I would love for someone to make a licensed cosmetic version for any BR clone game.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    New trailer shown at The Game Awards 2017~

15. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    Geras of war 1-3 were all AMAZING games, I still LOVE to play them.

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Anyone playing the Battleroyal version of the game? It's pretty fun actually and the games are way quicker than PUBG where you can run around for 10 minutes without encountering anyone.

17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    I tried BR before the Season stuff, but PvP is not much my thing anymore.

I still play PvE daily.

18. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    This game seriously caught my eye when I saw early previews, because the concept seemed very fun. Not wanting to get burned with a sketchy early access game, I figured I'd wait until it was done (pay or no). Is it "done"? I don't care for the Battle Royale... that PVE horde mode looked freakin' fantastic.

19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Only the first two zones are done in terms of Quests and Dialog.

That said, the actual zones still need graphical updates. All four zones look the same when doing quest/normal missions. It's just your personal Outpost that's looking different, but i'm pretty sure they're going to make zones look like the Outpost.

I would say wait for a sale right now, 40 Bucks is pretty steep for what the Standard Edition gives you. Or see if you can get a free key from somewhere.

20. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    i think i was right