Former Penn St. Coach Joe Paterno Has Died.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by PhazeDelta1, Jan 22, 2012.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  2. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Oh man he must of taken all the contreversy very hard. RIP

3. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    That's what my thoughts were.

4. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    let me guess, he died before to give a testimony on the penn state case i bet ? ;)

5. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    so? happens to people every day. Kinda inconsiderate on you're part to even bring it up. The man is a legacy and should be remembered as such.

RIP Joe Pa!

6. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    He was a legendary football coach, but winning football games don't make a man great. I was always very fond of JoePa and said so many times in the college ball threads.

That's until I learned he concealed a child molester's activities, and enabled him for many years. He knew what was going on, and instead of going to the police, he let it be for the sake of his universities reputation.
    Not one bit inconsiderate for anyone to bring it up, because this will define him. As a parent, if my kid was being molested, and someone who knew about it did nothing, I'd have a hard time seeing him as the saint he's going to be made out to be.

Good coach? Yep.
    Good man? Not so much.

7. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Football does not matter. A legacy? He's just a football coach, nothing to be remembered for.

Like Palerider said, he allowed children to be raped for the sake of Football. He was a horrible human being. He wasn't concealing it for the greater good here, just his own personal greed.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Sadly, Palerider does have a point.... How many children were harmed as a result?

9. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    No proof really to say otherwise..which again is inconsiderate. I disagree with what has been told of the man till proved otherwise, in the meantime may he RIP.

10. KCjoker

KCjoker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    Palerider is correct....how many boys could Paterno have saved...I will never think of Paterno the same way again. If I knew something like that was going on I would be screaming until I had no voice left to everyone and anyone that could hear me.

11. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    From everything I've heard, he doesn't have a legacy worth remembering, just a person who potentially allowed children to be raped. All these whacky football fans are just unbearable.

12. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080ti GamX
    RIP Coach Joe Paterno.
    The thing that I do not understand about the child molestation situation, is that the assistant who actually witnessed the molestation did nothing, and did not get any heat for doing nothing. Oh wait, he told his boss the Coach. Then the coach did the same thing and reported what he was told to his boss. But only the coach and his boss gets in trouble, while nobody seems to care that the only person who witnessed the event did not report to the police.
    All Coach had was hearsay. And he reported the hearsay to his boss who did nothing.

13. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Sad eh? I agree with you, and I hope Mike McQueary gets what's coming to him. I don't wish cancer on him, but I hope some way, somehow, karma catches up with him. This entire thing makes me sick.

14. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    i think he's more R.I.H than R.I.P actually, Rot In Hell.

15. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    I also believe that just because he died, you can't immediately change your view on the guy. if you liked him in life they you should like him in death and vice versa.

16. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE

he also had lung cancer

17. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Normally I wouldn't have much to say on a "sports related" thread, but I happen to be from State College, went to high school with JoePa's kids and probably know him and his family better than anyone on Guru3d.

You can think what you want about the controversy but I can guaranty JoePa didn't know the full details of the what happen, nor was he really kept in the loop after he did what he was supposed to by reporting it up the chain. JoePa would never protect the University or the football program over protecting children in this way. If he was aware of what was really happening he would have went around those who probably did actually protect the university and programs over the children. JoePa just wasn't that kind of man. In fact it is my belief that once he reported it up the chain those involved in investigating probably purposely kept him out of the loop to either try and protect him, or they knew it would not be acceptable to him and he would go around them. In other words, I think he was kept in the dark and/or lied to.

The media has been pointing at JoePa because he is THE icon of Penn State Football. Perhaps the buck should have stopped with him but you have to realize that there's more to the story than what the media spews as news or "reporting."

Also, and I know that children are involved so this is sensitive, but in America people are presumed innocent until proven guilty. If this is all true I demand that those responsible get what they deserve - but I cannot pass judgment, especially on JoePa knowing what kind of man he was. In my opinion it's a classic witch-hunt. Perhaps time will tell what he may or may not have known, but he's gone now and his legacy is totally destroyed forever - such a sad ending to an even worse reported crime.

18. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    good read..thanks for posting. I don't think for a second JoePa intended any harm to come to any kids...for anyone to say other wise is really ill informed when the attention of the crime should be focused on the real criminal not JoePa. I truly believe he was lied to and the top level guys within the school were told by Joe of some sort of issue and nothing was done from that point on which should fall back on them not JoePa.

Classic witch hunt indeed....sounds to me like JoePa may have been told something of this in very small detail right in the middle of a football meeting for all anyone knows.