Formatting HDD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by techniques1200s, Jun 10, 2006.

1. techniques1200s

techniques1200s Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 270
    I just got a bunch of new hardware, basically a completely new rig. I got it all set up ok, the only problem is I don't have an empty hard drive to install windows onto. I have a 40gb HDD thats partitioned in 2 halves, one of them with the operating system from my previous setup on it, the other with some data that I want to keep.

Is it possible to format the partition with windows and keep the other, or will i have to do the whole drive and then lose some stuff?

I was going to back all my data up before-hand, but windows decided to become irreparably corrupted right before I tried to do it.

So how would I go about doing this? Windows doesn't load at all.
    It's been at least two years since I've done any thing like this so i'm kind of lost.

(if worse comes to worst then I guess I can buy a new HDD for the OS, but i'd rather not.)

2. FreakyNaughty

FreakyNaughty Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTX
    I think you should be able to insert the windows disk and just delete the partion with windows on it and ten leave the other partion there. After when you boot up from another HDD you should just be able to save all the stuff you need of the 40 gig. You might even want to buy a small external hard drive and use that.

Hope this helps....:)

EDIT: You could try norton partition magic i hear thats pretty good to manage partions

3. ZeroAndOne

ZeroAndOne Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6800GS AGP 256mb @ stock
    I believe you can reformat separately in the window. Right click on the drive you want to reformat and choose reformat. At least that's the only way that I know of in reformating separately.
    If you use the Win XP CD as boot disk to reformat, I think you have to reformat all the drives, but I may be wrong.
    Try if you can get into Window safe mode to do the backup of file or maybe use the DOS mode to copy files even though I have never tried that myself.
    If the worst has to happen, it may not be that bad as the HDD recently are quite cheap now. Your new rig may be benefited from the faster SATA drive and etc. 40Gig may not be enough for your new rig.

Best of wish :)

4. iRkuN

iRkuN Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4850 512MB OC
    It is posible to keep the second partition intact while you install windows on the first.
    Just start the normal Win XP install procedure, booting directly from the CD. Follow the onscreen instructions and when windows ask where to install the operating system choose the first partition. Windows will ask to format or not. Answer yes and let the format the installation go on.

5. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    QFT, that is accurate.

6. techniques1200s

techniques1200s Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 270
    Thanks guys, I got it all worked out now.

@ZeroAndOne:

Hehe, I actually have quite a bit of diskspace, the 40gb is just for my OS. Take a look at my system specs;)

Unfortunately, I have another problem now. I'm trying to transfer files onto an external HDD, and it won't let me move anything larger than 1 or 2 gb. I can't move them to the external HDD, or any other HDD's for that matter. I can transfer groups of files of any size, but single files aren't working, which is a problem as I have lots of DVD image files to move.

It gives a message saying I don't have enough free disk space...but I do...

Any ideas?

7. kenace0

kenace0 Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx geforce 9600 gt
    "It gives a message saying I don't have enough free disk space...but I do...

Any ideas?" scandisk and defrag

8. WCASD

WCASD Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    FAT32 doesn't support files bigger than 4 GB IIRC. You'll have to reformat the HDD into NTFS.

9. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    You could also just convert it into NTFS without formatting.

10. compunut

compunut Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 7900GT SLI
    the same problem i had when i was trying to extract POP3 into my HDD

so format into NTFS (FAT32 doesnt suport more than 4GB single file)

good luck

11. WCASD

WCASD Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Oh, okay. I didn't know that. = \