Forceware 73.00 beta.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by fivefeet8, May 12, 2005.

1. MisterGeese

MisterGeese Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GS-GTX 980TI
    no integrated opengl 2 in this driver.
    1.5.3 for better compatibility :)

2. E.J.Smith

E.J.Smith Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce Titan
    Lucky. After Win XP, my first Via-based MoBo BSOD'd taking it out of the box.

3. IGNITE

IGNITE Guest

What is the date on these?

4. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Somewhat off topic here i know:

Blue screens are very often drivers that make truble and on a very "low level" at that, XP can't really be blamed for that type of crash. Drivers run in what's known as the kernel part/space of the OS (for performance). There is very little the OS can do to prevent a crash "down here".

When bad stuff happen in "kernel land" the OS will BSOD. This is also why MS is so gun ho about driver signing so at least they can say some basic test's have been run concerning some probably known problems and what not. But the NT (XP/NT/2000/2003 etc.) architecture is much more robust then the Windows 9x and this play a big part in getting less BSOD on XP then say Win 98.

Last edited: May 14, 2005

5. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Thanks for the explanation Animatrix I have been curious about that for months now. That is I was curious about what part of the OS worked with VGA drivers or is there was any connection between the two at all. Do you think Longhorn will be more robust than XP in respect to this?

6. minnah-bopeludo

minnah-bopeludo Member Guru

GPU:
    xfx 6600gt agp
    i have 170 pts less with 73.00, do u have the same situation?

7. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Haha well a OS is a pretty complex thing consisting of many parts. On windows all device drivers run at the kernel level this is done for speed. This is also the heavy part of the 32bit to 64bit crossover part you might say all device drivers needs to be re-writen.

Other things may run as a services or in user mode (app's) and at that level the crash is not "fatal" for the system. Services (can) even restart without user intervention and has multi user system funtions as well.

Interview with Windows kernel architect Dave Probert. ( 4 part's)
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=54612

Inside File System Filter
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=37302

Oh and yes the GUI will change in LH and will hopefully get much more stable.

AERO – The Longhorn GUI Shell or “User Experience” built with Avalon and WinFS Technologies

Aero User Experience Guidelines
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/Longhorn/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnaero/html/samplerintro.asp

User Experience (Aero)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/Longhorn/understanding/ux/default.aspx

Windows Client UI and User Experience
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/chats/trans/winxppro/wnxp0905.mspx

Windows Development Chat Transcripts
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/chats/transcripts/windows/

Google
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Longhorn+GUI&btnG=Google+Search

Last edited: May 14, 2005
  8. Just downloaded the driver, let's see what it can do ;-)

9. Burgurne

Burgurne Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980Ti
    Yes, I guess that LH will be more robust to "bad programming" both in services and in drivers. You can actually get a little taste from it now by using Windows 2003 Server instead of WindowsXP. Win 2k3 Server needs some tweaking though before it acts like you are use to from WinXP, but when it is done (google for finding severel guides how to do this) you got a more stable system, no more need for reboot to clean mem and/or pagefile up after copying, playing, videoediting aso even if your PC has been running for weeks without shutting down or reboot!
    Only big disadvance is, that if you can't get your boss to give you a licens, it is pretty expencive to buy for us private customers.
    I had mine for about 4 month until I got a new job and had to return the licens to my former boss (I'm too scared to use pirated windows because of Windows Update) so now I'm stuck with WinXP again.

10. Killerbee

Killerbee New Member

GPU:
    XFX 6800 Ultra
    Is this driver also compatible with the XFX 6800 Ultra? Last driver i installed let my system crash!

11. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Hey Killerbee,
    First of all welcome to Guru3d, nice to have you. Yes, I think this driver is fine for your 6800U, I also have an Ultra (BFG) and it worked fine. I don't particularly like the driver, but it works without any major problems.

I am sure you have heard this before but in case you have not, it is very important (At least I think so) to properly uninstall your old drivers first. To do this you can use a program called "Driver Cleaner" which will uninstall any leftover remnents of old drivers even after you uninstall them from the "Add/Remove Program" in Windows. To do this correctly you need to use the "Driver Cleaner" program in SAFEMODE.

1) Uninstall drivers from computer using "Add Remove Program" in the control panel.
    2) During reboot press F8 right before system boots into Windows to go into Safe Mode.
    3) Once loaded into Safe Mode open the "Driver Cleaner" program and use it to uninstall your Nvidia graphics card drivers.
    4) Reboot once again and load Windows normally. Now just install your driver.

Some people think this is overkill but I do it religiously everytime I install a new driver. Also people who get random crashes or restarts after installing new drivers can benefit from doing this because the problem is USUALLY not the new driver but a driver conflict. Good luck and if you have any more questions about this feel free to ask! Take it easy man

12. Killerbee

Killerbee New Member

GPU:
    XFX 6800 Ultra
    Thanks a lot for your explaination ! I'll try it directly tommorrow.

13. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Aaa (Optional) What?

Hi There Killerbee.

And a big Welcome. And Welcome to your new life Yea do what Roger_D25 say's i do the same thing all the time win i install new driver's. I no some ppl just don't understand. And if or if not you did this search your HD search all your files look for (Nv4) And look for Nv4_disp.dll & Nv4_Mini.sys these are what windows xp put's in your system befor you start installing driver's for (Norm Win) it mite 56.71 or something like A for (Winsp2) i think it would be 66xx i just think you should no that easy man :cool:

14. phrozin

phrozin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980
    7300 crashed the living crap out of my sli system doom3 bosd every time didn't fix anything 76.10 for me still

15. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FTW3 ULTR/HYBR
    Killerbee,

Welcome aboard. Another way to boot into the safe mode is press the windows key + r to bring up the run window. Type in "msconfig" (without the brackets, of course). Then select the BOOT.INI tab and check the /SAFEBOOT box in the Boot Options section. Then reboot.

Don't forget to uncheck it after running your driver cleaning app.

16. MisterGeese

MisterGeese Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GS-GTX 980TI
    buggy as well with my HL². too many clippings with shadows and slow fps. rolled back to official 71.89 :eek: