Forceware 270.51

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by dudikaz, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Infinity7_00

Infinity7_00 Banned

GPU:
    NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
    Mufflore, did you know that Folding never runs entirely at 100% because it concedes gpu resources based on priority scaling?

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Ah, I havent done it for maybe 2 years.
    It used 100% then, I didnt know they had added decent priority control.
    Cool.

3. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    lol ... 4days later. I never had that BSOD either..and like i said my gpu is stressed 100% in almost every game lately for some time now..

I stand by what i said faulty gpu or faulty OC or driver issue or psu issue. But yea its mostly GPU oc fault.

and btw i dont have TDR delay in my registry.. @ local machine/system/current control set/control/graphic driver, or anywhere for that matter i searched for TDRdelay and it didnt found anything.

only by DCI a binary reg value>> called timeout and its set to 7.

eidt: anyway what's your point to all this, are you trying to say its not nv fault when they're incapable of making a decent driver that stresses/uses all the gpu's power or what??

sorry no its all nv fault here:bang:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  4. Infinity7_00

Infinity7_00 Banned

GPU:
    NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
    I understand your theory is based upon what has happened on your PC and so you think the same is true for all PC's. Subjective technical theory.

Maybe if Microsoft only had your model and configuration of PC to test with they would not have said

"This problem only occurs when the GPU utilization is high.
    This issue occurs because of a time-out issue within the GPU. This causes a reset that leaves the GPU in an inconsistent state."

in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983615

EDIT: Oh, just saw your edit. I think a lot of recent games are "console ports" which use too much CPU and if the CPU can't push data to the GPU fast enough you'll get low GPU-usage. If NVidia could make a video card driver which sets your CPU to overclocked speed this would fix it, but of course they can't very well create a driver that does that.

My favorite game Call of Duty Black Ops is said to be a "console port". It ran pretty good when my i7 975 was only overclocked from 3.33GHz to 3.75GHz but I could not believe how much better the game played when I overclocked up to 4.22 GHz instead. At that point the GPU-usage got a whole lot better.

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    yes and no.

Like I mentioned in edit, why did you brought this up??

Do you somehow feel sorry for nv that they aren't capable of utilizing newer gpus to the max and now you pinpointed this TDR theory and somehow pulled the conclusion that this is why we see low gpu usage in some games? (excluding vsynced and capped games like U3E with 62fps cap)

Sorry no it is nvidia drivers fault here:pc1:

yep looks like they don't have a 100% clue either,.. but what i mentioned was it mostly happens if you OC your gpu to high (esp ram), try it if you dont believe me :D im sure you will get a black screen pretty quick and then driver stopped responding and restarted it self (in something like Heaven or L4d2, TF2, 3dmark06), in worst case even BSOD:infinity: but i never had such bosd's, only once with some old 257.25Q it caused bsod in gta4

edit: i saw your edit too.. and since you're mentioning COD7, here is my observation:

COD7 BlackOps singleplayer, one particular spot in Castro level

Winxp(x32) 78-86fps
    win7(x64) 52-63fps

25-30fps boost - now its either game fault or driver fault.. I have to go with 70% driver fault and 30% game incompatibility with win7.

also its not win7 fault here -as being a CPU hog compared to winxp.. well i would have seen it in something like Cinebench 10, 11.5, SuperPi, IBT - gflops bandwidth,.. don't you agree?

Imo Nvidia needs more work with new drivers @ win7, cuda 4 is the right start, but still its not it yet..

#edit 2:
    check here;
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=342301
    you see what i mean @ win7 and newer gpus or win7/vista in general..

6. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 SUPER
    I get 100% crash, not randomly, when I try to drag an ability to another position. Paradigm from quick button "6" to "8". Always!

I don't think it's driver's problem... Apart from that, I don't get any crash.

7. Infinity7_00

Infinity7_00 Banned

GPU:
    NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
    I will not blame the auto company that manufacturered a race car

if

the race car cannot operate at it's maximum performance in downtown New York City during rush hour traffic.

8. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    ^^^ Good analogy.

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The K series are designed for overclockers, think of it like a car that has a programmable turbo.
    I doubt Intel would have a leg to stand on in court if they cant establish negligence on the part of the overclocker.

10. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    All vehicle companies supply vehicles with an accelerator of some description. This doesn't give a motor vehicle user licence to go go crashing into the back of another.

i.e Motor company cannot be sued for a crash caused entirely by the drivers use of the vehicle. (with no external cause, problem with vehicle etc)

11. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:

lol..

Of course you will have cpu bottleneck and cripple gpu usage, but that doesn't mean it will cause TDR as soon as gpu reaches 100% usage, which is the whole point here btw.. then you would see it all the time when you start something like OCCT, Furmark, Kombustor or any benchmark/game that stresses gpu to the max but im sure you don't, yes because its not really it..

Its more of a gpu/vram oc issue and if its to high - either gpu/vram frequency, it can go out of sync and driver can't control it anymore (or weak power supply/gpu parts, probably caused by power ripples inside gpu - check msi 580 lightning spec >>memory voltage area- its using direct pcie voltage instead through 16x pcie lane like by std gpus) and this helps by higher gpu/mem freq. and it can eliminate this issue for good.

You can get nvdisp bsod with Process lasso too lol, well i wasn't very familiar with it yet and i set it to control all accounts >> this caused a conflict between nv sys driver which has a "separate account" for it and i bsod while playing a game..although this was my fault or better say conflict between apps..

anyway, heh I stand by what i said; it is nvidia driver fault there where it matters (like my examples above if it fails @100% usage and its not oc'ed) and end user fault for noobish gpu/ram OC... or even gpu/ power fault (psu).

Someone over at nvidia forums got an idea about this TDR, but he failed really Really bad imo.

Anyway this is waaay off topic here..

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    As I said, negligence would have to be established, otherwise it is being used as intended.