Forceware 196.75

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Galdere, Mar 2, 2010.

?

How is this driver working for you?

1. Better than previous drivers

147 vote(s)
    63.4%
  2. About the same as previous drivers

43 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Worse than previous drivers

42 vote(s)
    18.1%
  1. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon R9
    So I see most of you G80 guys aren't real happy with the new drivers? My brother's about to setup his 8800GTS SLI and I was wondering if we should load up these drivers but so far it looks like its not a good idea for G80 cards?

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Don't know whether it's these new drivers or the recently released patch but DiRT 2 runs tons better than it did before. In fact, I can now use 16xAF and 8xQCSAA at maximum settings @ 1920x1200 and the minimum framerate during the benchmark is 54 fps. Before it was around mid-40s fps from memory. During the actual game the framerate seldom drops below 60 fps (v-synced and triple buffered) and it feels smoother than before.

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    It *was* fixed in the 196.34 beta drivers so its odd that it's back to being broken in these new drivers.

4. Barton C++

Barton C++ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @ SLI
    L4D, when starting single player campaign "Dead Air - 1. The Greenhouse", gives sh!77y fps, 60-80fps but foremost bad game feel with jerky moves etc.

When starting "Crash Course" (the last and new campaign in L4D) - All perfect, 150+ fps and great feel.

If I ALT+TAB right after loading second map on "Dead Air", fps goes to normal high again, but never on first map "The Greenhouse", and it won't go high until I ALT+TAB

I've deleted L4D content twice, downloaded dito twice also. I've set AA/AF/MultiCore Rendering on/off and back on, incase it had something to do with "Cloud".

edit ///

Tested disabling SLI, and started Greenhouse map again - Normal (high!) fps and super game feel ! NVIDIA, gotta fix this SLI issue ! - SLI is much much worse than one card sometimes...

edit ///

another campaign starts OK (Death Toll), whole first map= Very good. 2nd and third maps = same bad as Greenhouse, but easily fixed with ALT+TAB

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010

5. XFAktOR

XFAktOR New Member

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 GTX AMP!
    Pretty bad drivers as far as I`m concerned. First off, I did a clean install and the first thing I tested was the StarCraft 2 Beta because that`s pretty important to me right now. And what do you know, it wasn't working anymore. I mean, the screen flickers when the game loads, between black and the loading screen and you can see the bar loading but when it reaches max, it stays there for a couple of seconds, then the game crashes.

Another thing I saw that was broken was the "System Information" in the nvidia Control Panel. One you click it, it instantly crashes. The only other thing I tested before reverting back to 196.21 was AVP 3, and that seemed to work a little better, a little less stuttering but there were still some there.

So there you have it, these drivers a pretty worse than the last batch (196.21) with which I have no problem with.

6. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    Rolled back to 196.34, all is well again.

They really need to get their thinking-caps on with these drivers, they purge one problem, only for anothers to develop. :bang:

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    And there was me thinking that my initial crash was a result of not doing a clean install (which I seldom do anyway, it's so much easier to just install over old drivers provided the installer has been written *properly*!!!).

Try opening up System Information again... for me it worked the second time and has been working OK ever since. Mind you I did run a registry cleaner, Registry Mechanic, which may or may not have 'fixed' it. Still don't have any info under the 'Display' tab though, it's just blank but shows data under that category if I save the settings as a file.

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Correction: It *DOES* work!

It will appear that the aspect ratio setting has not worked as applying your chosen setting returns back to the default (the display's scaling). However, I've just checked now and my setting is showing "NVIDIA scaling with fixed-aspect ratio" so it looks like there is a bug stopping the correct setting from being initially shown but it doesn't stop it from actually working... at least not on my setup anyway.

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
  10. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z
    Darren, is NV System Information still empty when you revert to default (bios) clock speeds?
    See post #206 in this thread. For me, it just crashed once as well btw.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Yes, the Display tab is still blank for me.

However, if I choose the Save or Print option then details are output under the Display category. Seems there's a bug that prevents it being shown in the control panel... maybe the font colour is being set to the same as the background or something silly like that?

*EDIT*
    Ooops, didn't properly read what you were asking...

If I set the graphics card speed back to their defaults then info *IS* shown under the Display tab! Even if I only change one setting at a time, e.g. increase it, then the Display tab blanks out.

What a strange bug!!!

12. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    If I press the system information button the nvcp closes directly

13. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    You should "NEVER" install new drivers over old drivers its no wonder your having problems use driver sweeper or similar to completely remove everything to do with old & the new driver & reinstall the latest driver

14. exaslave

exaslave Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 560ti
    Yes this worked for me too, might be related with my problem where overclocking shows different clocks than it's supposed to be with GPU-Z and other apps that read the clocks. Maybe it just cant read the clocks properly and that's why it crashes and shows the weird clocks in GPU-Z.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3482875&postcount=129

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Sorry but doing a clean install would have made no difference in this case as others who *did* install these drivers that way are having exactly the same problems as me who didn't. ;)

I almost always install new drivers over old ones, and provided the installer is written correctly as NVIDIA's are, then there should be no need to uninstall the old ones first. I have always had very, very few problems doing it this way and what problems I do have are usually issues with the drivers themselves. Also note that Windows Update installs new graphics drivers when it finds them over existing ones, it doesn't uninstall them first.

While I agree that drivers should be uninstalled for major revisions or when switching from ATI to NVIDIA or vice versa, I don't believe it should be necessary with updates such as these. Even NVIDIA's own installation notes makes no mention of uninstalling old drivers first.

16. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
    This new driver causes my video card to run hotter when playing Mass Effect 2 (idle temp is the same), plus the Cinematics stutter sometimes.

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Taken from the Release Notes:

"Driver Installation

Minimum Hard Disk Space

The hard disk space requirement for 32‐bit is minimum 105 MB for English‐only, and 142
    MB for International.

The hard disk space requirement for 64‐bit is minimum 135 MB for English‐only, and 170
    MB for International.

Before You Begin
    If you have previously installed NVIDIA nTune, NVIDIA recommends that you uninstall
    nTune before installing this driver. After the driver install is complete, you can reinstall
    NVIDIA nTune.

Installation Instructions
    1 Follow the instructions on the NVIDIA .com Web site driver download page to locate
    the appropriate driver to download, based on your hardware and operating system.
    2 Click the driver download link.
    3 The license agreement dialog box appears.
    4 Click Accept if you accept the terms of the agreement, then either open the file or save
    the file to your PC and open it later.
    5 Extract the zip files to a temporary folder on your PC.
    6 Open the NVIDIA driver installation .EXE file to launch the NVIDIA InstallShield
    Wizard.
    7 Follow the instructions in the NVIDIA InstallShield Wizard to complete the
    installation."

See... there's no mention of uninstalling old drivers first, only nTune... ;)

18. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    This was discussed a million times already. In 99.9% of the cases this method works fine but occasionally it does help uninstalling old drivers and deleting driver remnants.

Now, could we please end this discussion in this thread? Please?

Feel free to start another one of the "How do you install new drivers?" threads - if you want to.

19. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z
    But luckily just a very small one. Remember the 196.21s having nasty OC-issues at first?

Great drivers so far! Gaming, watching (HD)TV, browsing, typing letters :p and gaming again, all looks sweet and no BSOD yet :)
    Still can't see Mass Effect 2 in my (SLI) Profiles, though :(

20. barwell1992

barwell1992 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    seems exactly the same as 182.50 but with new profiles .... still cant put the setting up in cod mw2 without stuttering though :mad: