Forceware 177.40 + 2D/3D seperate OC with Rivatuner

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by PKOneTwo, Jun 26, 2008.

1. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward 9800GTX+ OC 512M
    Hi people,

i have a problem. I have a gainward Bliss 8800GT Golden Sample with stock speeds of: 650 GPU and 950 Memory.

By trying to overclock the card in the 3D-Mode wit Rivatuner, the 2D-mode and 3D-Mode get the same memory clock speeds, GPU stays different, but memory clock are the same.
    Why? is it because of any incompatibilty of rivatuner and the forceware 177.40 ?

The Card as such have seperate modes, so it shouldn't be a problem, generally spoken.

Thx for your help, appreciate it.

2. PARANOIK

PARANOIK New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT

I think there is no need to install them because of their newely.I'll setup them later when it will work properly with 8800GT series,cause IF it will be done for these cards:puke2:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  3. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    Don't get me wring, but I didn't ask for advice to install them or not. These are great drivers. I have another kind of question:

-------------------
    By trying to overclock the card in the 3D-Mode wit Rivatuner, the 2D-mode and 3D-Mode get the same memory clock speeds, GPU stays different, but memory clock are the same.
    Why? is it because of any incompatibilty of rivatuner and the forceware 177.40 ?
    -------------------

4. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Your 8800gt doesn't have seperate 2D/3D modes ---> Meaning it has a SINGLE operating mode regardless of whether you are at the Desktop or Gaming; and regardless of which driver is installed !!!

When using Rivatuner to Overclock, you should only adjust the speeds of the "Performance 3D" option ?

:)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008

5. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    It has seperate modes (like said before).
    600 GPU and 500 Video Memory in 2D and 650 GPU and 950 Video memory in 3D Performance. I've read the bios optiosn of the card and rivatuner detects this values and other tools like Atitool show these values as well (like a lot of other tools) :nerd:

and again the same question: IF I change the memory clock in the "3D Performance" Mode, it seems like the memory clock of the 2D Mode change as well (ONLY THE MEMORY CLOCK, NOT GPU; i can chnage the GPU in anyway I want to, they aren't the same)

It has to be a rivatuner and Forceware 177.40 Issue, right?

6. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    The 8800gt and its associated drivers were NOT designed to work with seperate 2D/3D modes !

Which means if Gainward has modified Nvidia's design in order to force your particular version of 8800gt to operate with seperate 2D/3D modes, then you appear to have a very UNIQUE design of 8800gt ?

And because the 8800gt is not supposed to have seperate 2D/3D modes, I'm not surprised that Rivatuner could be having problems with overclocking them at different levels ---> maybe a good time to talk to Unwinder in the Rivatuner section of the forum ?

Also, why a manufacturer would have their default 2D mode as high as 600MHz (when 300-400 would be much more reasonable) is beyond me ---> are you sure that your card is not just flashed with a badly modded bios ---> Does Rivatuner's Hardware Monitor actually show Core/Memory speed changes when switching between Desktop (2D) and Gaming (3D) activities ?

Apart from your current issue with 177.40 driver, are you saying that you had no problems using Rivatuner to overclock seperate 2D/3D modes with other drivers??

7. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    Are you 100% sure about that? Cause I didn't find any information about this matter til now...

I don't think thats UNIQUE...I've read about a bunch of people having their 8800GTs from Leadtek, BFG, etc. with seperate 2D/3D modes working...so why not my 8800GT ???

But i admit, that this card have a UNIQUE design, which makes it possible to keep it very cool....you should google after the card, you find out what i mean...if you like ;-)
    Gainward Bliss 8800GT Golden Sample...

That was my intention after all, but since I thought might be a Driver problem, i tried my luck here first...

100% sure that it is not!

oh yeah, it does...
    and again: it ONLY concerns the memory clock, which will be adapted in the one mode when I change it in the other mode...GPU clock is not affected

That's what I thought...I think with 175.16 oder 177.35 everything was fine...i reinstalled the drivers and got the same phenomenon, but i believe it wasn't that way (everything went well with the clocks) when i tried to overclock the first time

8. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    From RT 2.06:
    But you can bypass this limitation creating 2 profiles, one for desktop with your desired clocks and one for games with your desired clocks. Then you can switch between them manually or automatically by RTSS.
    Something like this.

9. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    As far as my Palit g92 based 8800gt 512Mb was concerned, and everyone elses different manufacturer versions for that matter, 2D/3D switching was just not programmed into the bios ----> so regardless of whatever nvidia driver was used, 2D/3D switching was by default not designed to be available ?

And because of this design limitation, I have always used Rivatuner's RTSS to do my 2D/3D switching with 8800gt, and 8800gts, 512Mb cards !

10. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Till now, I hadn't heard of any G92 based 8800GT that was programmed for 2D/3D switching ?

However, have just done some checking, and although I still can't find any other manufacturers 8800gt which has seperate 2D/3D modes, I have now identified that the Gainward 8800GT GS 1024Mb model certainly does have seperate 2D/3D modes ---> Is this the card that you have ??

Mind you, still very weird that 2D mode has Core speed set at 600MHz ---> which, for your card, essentially means that 2D/3D switching was only "designed" to have a marked affect on Memory speeds ?

In order to check that current drivers do allow 2D/3D switching, I just modded the bios of my 8800gt 512 card to allow seperate 2D/3D modes (400-1000-600/650-1620-950) and found switching between 2D and 3D worked ok with the 175.80 driver I have currently settled for ---> so your problems with 177.40 may indeed just be a driver issue ?

Of course, if you use NiBiTor to set your 8800gt Bios's 2D and 3D defaults to your desired levels, then your cards operating speeds would always be fixed at these levels regardless of which version nvidia driver is installed?

Mind you, it now appears that allowing the Bios/Driver to control 2D/3D switching means that my particular 8800 doesn't want to step down from 3D to 2D levels untill approx 5 minutes after going back to Desktop activities ---> so I think for now I will stick with using Rivatuner's RTSS function, since it causes instant 2D/3D switching !

Also, I have a vague recollection from the past that a main reason Bios controlled 2D/3D switching was not allowed with G92 based 8800gt's was because it was determined to be "unreliable in its operation" ---> card or driver design issue, who knows ---> but, untill proven otherwise, certainly another good reason for me to continue doing 2D/3D switching via Rivatuner ?

11. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    @all:
    Like Unwinders Quotation: it was a driver issue. Now everything works, no RTSS or Schedules or Tasks were needed.

With Forcewarwe 177.41 everything works und its seperate.

@jimmor:

- Yes thats my card.

- No the 3d/2d switching is about 50 MHz difference of the GPU frequency and 450 of the Memory Frequency....I think the GPU could be a little lower like 400 in 2d Mode, but it diesn't matter, it is 50°C in 2D with 600 MHz...

- it is a driver issue like i found out today...

- i also thought about flashing the Bios, but if anything goes wrong, i would loose my warranty...(people could find that out because of the modded Bios)

- i think gainward 8my manufacturer) aund today 177.41 + rivatuner proved it otherwise

@ ALL:
    a question by the way: is it recommende to use 1050MHz Video Memory on the GDDR3 256 Bit RAM of the 8800GT with 1024 MB?

or not above 1000?

12. Hanky Man

Hanky Man Member

GPU:
    MSI HD6950
    Hello,

I have the same card and I can confirm what you are experiencing. In with older driver releases the memory clocks are the same both in 3d and 2d mode. With the 177.41 they can be different.
    My memory runs at 1050Mhz and I could go quite a bit higher so I think thats no problem to go on that clock.

However I have another problem that you may have too so please check it if you can:
    In most of the games I'm playing (Css, Crysis, Company of Heroes, ect) the card goes to 3d performance clocks for 30 seconds and then goes back to 2d clocks and then swiches back to 3d and again to 2d.......:wanker: (bad FPS sometimes). I would like to change the 2d clocks to be the same as the 3d clocks but I can only set the memory clocks to 750MHz max in 2d mode.
    [​IMG]

13. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    Here we go.

I started the monitoring...then started atitool (scan for artifacts = 3D Mode)
    the card went to 3D Mode...then (while running atitool in background) i changed to Firefox and browsed a little bit (the card went to 2D Mode)..then i got back to desktop and watched atitool scanning for artifacts and the card went to 3D Mode...then closed atitool and card went to 2D Mode...since now everything works fine...watch the picture...

I think that when your playing games, the card goes to 2D Mode, when it is playing a video or you're in the menu or loading a level...

I will start UT3 and GRID and watch what happens...and report later, but I think it will be the same result

14. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    My report:
    With GRID: everything was in 3D Mode from start until i shut down the game...
    In UT3: in 3D Mode, in menu I wa sin 2D Mode, Map srated i was in 3D Mode

Are you sure you got the problem when you are playing and not loading or in menu?

15. Hanky Man

Hanky Man Member

GPU:
    MSI HD6950
    Well I just played Company of heroes and it didn't even go into 3d mode the whole game. Sticks at 2D mode. can only play with 750MHz on memory. Any chance to change the limit in rivaruner?

16. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    hm, thats really weird....i don't know if that helps, have you tried to reinstall ther drivers and deinstall it first with driversweeper?

by the way: yes, indeed. in Rivatuner there are some parameters in "Power User" ( think under overclocking/Global and/or NVidia). I don't remember which one in special, but will lokk into that.

Do you have the problems playing GRID or UT3?

17. Hanky Man

Hanky Man Member

GPU:
    MSI HD6950
    Well my i have the problem since I installed the 177.39 maybe before but i didn't really realized it course on older drivers the 2d memory clock was locked with the 3d clock but now its at 750MHz max.
    Since the problem occurred I installed about 4 different drivers (with doing the driversweeper stuff) well but nothing helped at all.
    I will try GRID later but i dont have UT3 so thats not possible.
    For me it looks like it wont recognize that any 3d application is running course now he stays at 2d mode all the time -.-

18. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    yeah thats the problem, in these both games my card recognizes the mode.
    If it doesn't chage the mode (you have the same card) it should be a driver problem somehow.

PS: you could try Ut3 Demo (if there is one)

19. Hanky Man

Hanky Man Member

GPU:
    MSI HD6950
    No frequency change in GRID stays at 2d mode :(

20. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    ok THAT is weird...
    and since you didn't mod your card (VMOD or BIOS flashed) it has to be some XP and driver issue.

What you can try is to delete everything that has to do with rivatuner, forceware and nvidia, also in your registry. But pay attention and you need sure instincts for that.

I dont bliebe that your card is damaged...

PS: other thing wold be to try to install your BIOS fpr your card again (the same bios), if the bios should be damaged...

PS2: you can read out the BIOS with GOU-Z and edit it with NBITOR (there you can if something is wrong with it/damaged)