Forceware 175.16 and fans

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by my_lo, May 28, 2008.

1. my_lo

my_lo Member

GPU:
    POV 9800GT - 1 Go DDR3
    Hello guys, i have a little question concerning the forceware 175.16 and the behaviour of my nvidia 7900 gs fans.

I have a dell XPS 710 with a nvidia 7900 GS, it is provided with the 90.41 drivers. Normally the fans of my gfx card start to spin when i launch a game and stop 1 or 2 minutes after i quit the game. It's been turning like that for a year and it was always fine. Then came Age of conan and a lot of graphic problems due to my non updated drivers. I then updated the drivers to the forceware 175.16.

Since then, the fans of my 7900 GS start to spin when i launch a game but then they stop after a minute. I can go on to play for 2-3 hours and the fan doesn't spin again. If i do an alt-tab to browse the web and then come back to my game, the fan restart to spin but stop after a minute. I haven't seen any artifacting yet nor crash or freeze but i'm worry that it could happen and destroy my graphic card. I checked the temp with ntune and it goes between 65-75°c and it says that the speed of the gpu fan is 180 rpm.

So my question is as follow: is it normal or should i clean the drivers and go back to my old ones (i don't play aoc anyway) ? Is it an updated way of controlling the fan speed in function of the temp? So far, i see an improvement of the graphics and the framerate (compared to the 90.41 drivers) but i don't want to destroy my card...

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. Ariesrubs

Ariesrubs New Member

GPU:
    Palit 9600GT Sonic
    my_lo
    1. Delete 175.16
    2. Boot in "Safe mode"
    3. Use Nasty File Remover
    4. Use RegCleaner and CCleaner
    5. Reboot system
    6. Install 175.16

P.S. 175.16 is not "ForceWare", it's "GeForce"

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  3. my_lo

my_lo Member

GPU:
    POV 9800GT - 1 Go DDR3
    So the fan stopping to spin (or slowing down greatly) after a minute of gaming wasn't a normal behaviour?

I'll try what you told me and i'll let you know...

4. Ariesrubs

Ariesrubs New Member

GPU:
    Palit 9600GT Sonic
    - not normal.

180 rpm ~ 10%

norm = 35-100% rpm

Try to set rpm (40-50%) manually, using RivaTuner (2.08)

5. my_lo

my_lo Member

GPU:
    POV 9800GT - 1 Go DDR3
    So i reinstalled 175.16 after having cleaned everything but that doesn't change a thing.

I have installed riva tuner 2.09 and i created 3 launch profiles:
    1. fan at 25%
    2. fan at 40%
    3. fan at 60%

I can switch them manually when i start a game and when i stop it but when i want to link it to the temperature monitor, so it changes automatically, the setup of the temperature monitor, doesn't have a treshold panel, therefor i can't make them launch automatically.

So i try to use scheduler but when i chose "run task on hardware monitor range event", i don't have the other choices where i could chose core temperature...

Does anyone knows how i can do? It really is annoying to switch manually the speed of the temp during the game, i have to alt-tab to chack the temp, then adjust the speed and then i can go on to play...

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  6. Dooby2oon

Dooby2oon New Member

GPU:
    Point Of View 8800GTS (G92)

Remove all custom fan settings you have already made
    Go to power user, then go to rivatuner/fan, under rivatuner fan go to Autofanspeedcontrol. make the vlaue to the right of it a 3,
    [​IMG]
    then tick the bulb. Completely shut down riva at this point, reopen it and verify, i find I have to do this more than once.
    Once the bulb is lit and the 3 is set, go to low level system setttings from main window.

Select enable low level fan control and detect now, no need for reboot. then select AUTO and not fixed.
    [​IMG]
    Under description use these values, these are in order from top to bottom.
    New values:
    Duty cycle min: 45
    Duty cycle max: 100
    T min: 45
    T range: 32
    T operating: 110
    T low limit: 0
    T high limit: 110

Now tick apply fan setting at windows start up and then apply at bottom then ok..
    If you find fan louder when not playing a game just lower Duty cycle min:

Duty cycle min - minimum speed for the fan
    Duty cycle max - maximum speed for the fan
    T min - is the temperature at which the fan turns on
    T range - is the fan duty cycle vs. temperature slope
    T operating - (dynamic Tmin control)
    T low limit - (dynamic Tmin control) temperature that fan will run at min
    T high limit - (dynamic Tmin control) temperature that fan will run at max

Hope this helps :)

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  7. my_lo

my_lo Member

GPU:
    POV 9800GT - 1 Go DDR3
    Thanks for the answer, i'll try this as just as i'm back home this evening ^_-

8. my_lo

my_lo Member

GPU:
    POV 9800GT - 1 Go DDR3
    The "auto" option didn't become available eventhough the "3" was set and the bulb was there.

I have created scheduler events with diferent fan speed following the core temperature as follow:

45-48°C: 25%
    50-65°C: 40%
    66-70°C: 60%
    71-75°C: 80%
    76-85°C: 100%
    85°C: system shutdown

My 7900GS isn't overclocked and use the 175.16 drivers and even after 5 hours in oblivion or world of warcraft, it never became warmer than 62°C.

If i could set it in "auto", i would. It would be a "cleaner" solution, unfortunately, i didn't managed to get the "auto" option available. The bulb is there (does it have to be lit? or just there) and the option set to "3" but still no "auto" option...
    The scheduler config i've done serves me well and is pretty silent but if someone has an idea on what could make the "auto" option not available, it would be welcome ^_-