ForceWare 174.70 for XP/VISTA(32bit & 64bit)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by gpxjohn, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Broseybrose

Broseybrose Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    so far these are the best drivers ive used. i hope they whql these for the 8 series.

2. Roostitup

Roostitup Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 275 SLI 713/1584/1242
    These drivers are working MUCH better than the 174.53 ones. The print screen and/or UAC distortion in vista x64 is fixed and I gained a couple hundred 3dmarks! Also, FSX seems to run better in terms of the full screen bug (I couldn't get it to stay full screen). I say don't hesitate if you have 9800GX2, these drivers are much improved!

3. Osuperman

Osuperman Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    Can anyone tell me if this driver set suffers from the same Blu-Ray/PowerDVD 7 problem others were reporting with earlier sets?

4. blow

blow Member

What do you mean with texture flashing?
    I don't see anithing flashing during game.

5. Rathbone

Rathbone Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix RTX2070
    @Osuperman

VMR renderer and HDCP handshake still broken in this driver. Back to 174.40. Don't touch this crap if you have a HTPC.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  6. Benke99

Benke99 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870 1GB
    In LOTRO I get the same flashing textures with these as with the 174.60. I ran 169.09 for a few months before the recent driver upgrade and didn't have this.
    The funny thing is that the flashing occur when textures are loading (i.e. most obvious when travelling). With 169.09 there was a slight stuttering as new textures were being loaded into memory. With these new drivers, that stuttering is almost completely gone (instead there's flashing). Needless to say these drivers gives a much smoother texture load with my 8800GTS 320MB. Maybe Nvidia is finally getting a grip on the memory issues. Now if the flashing can be cured these drivers would be very nice indeed. IQ is flawless!
    I also like the new game profile manager (it detects which games you have installed, instead of having to scroll through that long list).

7. KillerC

KillerC Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    I want to try these new driver badly but Somthing is really bothering me here ,

If they are so good for the 8 series of cards I am still at a loss as to why they are ear marked for the 9 series only , and why are they not available on the Nvidia site? The latest I see for the 8800 is the 169.44beta , a pretty crappy set of drivers with none of the new CP features.

Nvidia trying to boost sales? or are these truly NOT meant for the 8 series of cards?

kind of unnerving that they would just release them and let people edit the files to run on all cards with no warning. I'm not trying to cause trouble its just that when you pay 600.00 for a video card you don't want to trash it only to be told by the chip maker that "we never said you could use this driver with this card".

I think if these are STRICTLY for the 9 series there should be some type of warning or disclaimer stating so , and if not , release them for ALL cards and stop all the bull crap. :bang:

8. alwtainted

alwtainted New Member

GPU:
    BFG/8800gt/512
    OMG great drivers. Im new to the forums, been testing beta drivers for awhile now. These are the best yet. I do have a prob. tho whenever i unistall the old drivers use driver sweeper then ccleaner. i reinstall restart computer and my eithernet wont connect to the internet. then i unistall my eithernet, i restart computer and it gets to windows load screen sits there for 2 min then blue screen, then i always have to reinstall windows. this gets really anoying, specs are 8800gt, asus m2n32 sli deluxe amd. or a nvidia 590 board. anyone else have this problem if so how do i get around having to reinstall my eithernet drivers...

9. Rathbone

Rathbone Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix RTX2070
    I think your problem was mentined in another thread. Driver Sweeper deletes wrong files if you have a certain nForce chipset. I your case do not use Driver Sweeper.

10. Harmatia

Harmatia Member

GPU:
    EVGA 470 GTX
    This happens to me on my nforce 590.

Seems like the various drivercleaners all like to eat up some important nforce files. When I used it I'd have to reinstall nforce. The first time I found this out, I didn't have it stored anywhere. It sucked.

I've just been uninstalling through CP, reg cleaner, and deleting the files under C:/NVIDIA.

Have to agree that these drivers are nice, though. Loved the 174 series from the start-- but they were unstable.

11. Foreword

Foreword Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 OC SLI
    Is 174.70 better than 174.12?

12. alwtainted

alwtainted New Member

GPU:
    BFG/8800gt/512
    oh way better!!! i had 174.20, played BF2142 all the time, and always would atifact and then freeze. slow slow on grand theft auto and rise of nations. was gettin 60fps now 95-100 in those games. crysis is up by 5fps so ya great great great great great drivers. :banana:

13. Skyline350GT

Skyline350GT Member

GPU:
    8800GT@700/1700/2000 + Accelero S1
    Going to put together my newly bought rig in a couple days. I'm gonna have a eVGA 8800GT with Vista Ultimate 64 Bit, these are the drivers I should use right? BTW, since I'm new to Vista, what does it mean when you guys say the driver is not WHQL for the 8 series, does it mean Vista won't let me install them or will it just give a warning ala XP?

14. Benke99

Benke99 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870 1GB
    It will just warn you, so all you have to do is click "Install anyway..."

15. compuguy1088

compuguy1088 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX AMD Radeon 5850
    I've had this to in several games (CnC3 and in a HL2 mod..). From what I can tell, someone similarly saw this with LOTRO, and had AA on. Disabling it stopped the flashing. As long as the drivers do not cause a BSOD (with display off), I'm ok with the occasional flicker. This still, should be fixed.

I would lean towards the 174.60 drivers, from the apparent reduction in flickering. If you really want a set of stable drivers, I would look specifically at the 169.61 set, they are rock solid drivers.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008

16. Alcom

Alcom Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 5850 1gb
    Indeed they are: at least for the Unreal Engine 3. I compared these and many more on my site. Here's a snip:
    174.12: 64.06avg fps, 90.57% above 30fps
    174.70: 67.14avg fps, 91.24% above 30fps

[​IMG]

17. frytom

frytom Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090
    No more sufferings... 174.70 vista 32 has full blu-ray support using powerdvd ultra 7.3 and the latest patch 3730a.

18. Nuke_Meltdown

Nuke_Meltdown Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX580 SLI
    I can tell you these driver are 10,000 times better than any other one espacially the 169.44 i was lagging pretty hard in Crysis with the 169.44 but right now its fluid like water.
    Definitly a keeper here!

19. Nemes1s

Nemes1s Master Guru

GPU:
    2x560Ti SLI ASUS + EVGA
    I'm over drivers. T_T

20. Soren

Soren Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB
    Right drivers

Hi,
    i have seen all over the forum users with series 8 xxx cards downloading latest drivers. I went to nVidia site and searched driver for my 8800Gt card, the result: 169.21 driver. All other later drivers are not suitable for series 8 xxx cards, they are made for series 9 xxx cards. It is good to know.