ForceWare 162.50 WHQL XP/Vista

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by justinkw1, Aug 8, 2007.

1. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    lol, i was thinking the same thing, before i read the post, i thought it was some 3 old game

Here this thread is massive, can some non 8800 owner confirm if IQ/performance is better in XP or not( from reading a few it seems better in Vista and i read earlier that someone said XP is better too )? no offence, but im sooo fed up installing nvidia drivers every week

2. randomizer

randomizer Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580 RX 8gb
    has anyone tried these drivers with vista sp1 beta?

3. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    dude, your sarcasm radar is kinda borked, it needs new drivers :D

4. LiQU!D

LiQU!D Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB XfireX
    I swear, nVidia can't make drivers for ****. In the 160.03+ drivers they have introduced a bug where CS:S starts up with an artifacted screen and also made Australia's Channel 7 HD stutter in Windows Media Center.

I think I might just go back to the 160.03's, even though the performance isn't as good at least everything works!

Morons...

5. Hunted

Hunted Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GT770 OC
    Hi thnx for the reply. I thought as much that something is wrong, might be the reason for some random BSODs I get.

I uninstalled the drivers again, ran driver.cleaner.net twice and it showed me that some registry entries again. Checked the error log and in there it said some entried could be deleted, due to sub keys not found in Local Machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\video\{42cf......}. It had the same msg for currentcontrolset02 ectries.

I tried to give myself full control on that sub keys, but didn't allow me to. Said access denied. It worked for the folder Video, but not for the sub keys.

It's still showing the various version when selecting the sysinfo. Anything else I can do to get that keys deleted and will it be safe to remove the entire entry if need be?

Thnx again for the help.

6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    The newer drivers have always had the old CP, you just have to do a registry hack to use it. :)

Just search for this key, and change the Value to what you want :-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIACorporation\Glob al\NvCplApi\Policies and edit the ContextUIPolicy DWORD value.

The values are :-

1 for the old Control Panel
    2 for the new Control Panel
    3 to use both Control Panels

Theres also a program that allows you to use the old CP as well without doing the hack, but i can't remember its name now unfortunately.

7. Ryan Williams

Ryan Williams Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
    ... although I think it's worth mentioning that the new control panel hasn't really been very slow at all for a long time, and it's laid out pretty well now (all the 3D settings are on one page, and it'll remember that page the next time you open your CP).

Also, not every beta driver set that includes the new control panel has included the old one; with some it just outright fails, while in others certain areas/options are missing.

Make no mistake, the old control panel is officially deprecated and will eventually be completely unusable. I highly recommend biting the bullet and just getting used to the new one.

8. MacWun77

MacWun77 Banned

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX @ 621/972 Air Cooled

Yeah, pity it's such a crap game though

9. gunslinger

gunslinger Master Guru

GPU:
    1 EVGA GTX titan 6gig SC
    I like these drivers. First time I did'nt have to change priority in stalker to real time to stop the hitch in game. Keepers for me.

10. pabeader

pabeader Member

GPU:
    Asus EN8800 GTX 768M
    Same thing happend to me!!!

installed this driver and now vista 32 won't start. It never makes it to the login. BSOD right after it starts the rolling blocks

11. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  12. Towe|ie

Towe|ie Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX
    are they good for XP?

13. BIGWORM

BIGWORM Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle GTX 260 SP216
    IF you had clicked on them, you would've known they're for Vista.

14. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    Yup its so outdated, i was like wdf is this $hit, and then saw Halo2 LOL, wow man wdf where they thinking in MS studios when they made that game (only $$$$$$$$$$$) lol lamers.

15. grantschoep

grantschoep Member

GPU:
    XFX 8500GT
    Cool, I'm happy these were released now. I was just planning on doing a clean reinstall of WinXP(and Fedora) this weekend. I like to do that once each year or so as I so much junk builds up from updating and uninstall/reinstall of drivers and software.

Plus I generally can't afford a whole new machine, but can afford to buy the latest/greatest harddrive my system supports. That way reinstalling is a breeze, as I'm not afraid of loosing data, as I am just setting my old drives aside, and doing a clean install.

Sadly enough, the data I am most worried about loosing is my Sim City 4 world, and... um... my "Top Ten Adventurer scores" text file from Oregon Trail II. Yes, the old MECC Oregon Trail II works on XP(that thing was written for Dos 5.0 with Win 3.1...)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007

16. Klave

Klave Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 280
    Wake up

Guys, guys,,,,

Don't get "number/digit" crazy too much.

First,,the basics: run 'Ace Utility' and for example 'Free Registry Fix' and some other clean-up.
    A small example,,my upstart was kinda slow, and I decided to clean out the Cab files and guess what: Suddenly everything during POST and software ( i.e. Windows upload) went faster.
    I have as a habit to do this every day..to run the clean-up and besides any really software related problems,, like "bugs",,, I never have any problems,,oh, for now I should say that I'm running XP,,I'll change to Vista when the "roadbumps" are smoother.
    I overclock my GTX pretty "hefty",a little at the time.. and it runs really nice,,,.Blue screens?,,CTD?,,,nah,,,it is just running oki doki,,even back compability doesn't cause any problems.

Bottomline: How "clean" is your computer?????????

17. smut

smut Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960 SuperSC
    hey smart guy, if YOU read the original post AND the title you'd see they are for both VISTA and XP.

BTW, does anyone know if NTUNE Fan control still works in this set? The last WHQL drivers 162.18 finally had nTune fan control working again, hope it still works in this set.

18. BIGWORM

BIGWORM Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle GTX 260 SP216
    ^ Hey idiot. I believe the guy was asking about the hotfixes. And if he wasn't, my bad. Don't be such a pompous ass, I was only stating the obvious.

19. elsporko

elsporko New Member

GPU:
    Asus 7900GS 256mb
    I haven't tried any new drivers in several months, I'm still using 92.91. All my games run fine, although a little better performance in Oblivion would be nice. These drivers look/sound good, do you think I'd see a performance improvement?

I know drivers are generally quite different on different PCs, but I'd like to know a general answer before I try em out (I'm always a bit scared when trying new drivers :x )

20. blitze

blitze Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 4870 1GB PCS+
    Does that reg hack for the control panel work on Vista?
    Would be great as I might be able to fix my TV out issues with the old control panel.

As for Nvidia not writing decent drivers, well, I very much like their Linux drivers. Just a pity their Windows ones are not as good.