Force secondary GPU (G1030) as primary videocard, when in first pci-e slot is Geforce

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by ruthan, Jul 29, 2017.

1. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Hello,
    im trying to force Geforce 1030 as primary video card on Asus M5A97 R2.0 - AMD970 AM3 board in WIn7 x64.

Problem is that i got display output only on G7950GT, even when is this card disabled in Device manager or set to PCI VGA driver. I dont care about output during booting, but when Windows 7 - i need to get Geforce 1030 as primary videocard, i need to have Geforce 7950GT in primary slot, because of old OS.

Problem even is machine booted, i have got strange mode - when display drivers are ok, in as display manager i have VGA safe service, there is setting in Nvidia panel to change primary video card, but i can start it, because im getting message that not display is connected to Nvidia adapter so wizzard cant start..
    Problem could be that Nvidia - 7950GT is using Geforce 309 driver and Geforce 1030 - 384 driver. I dont care about Geforce 7950GT is possible to set Windows 7 to completly ignore this card or pci-e slot where it is would be nice..

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  2. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    You are running into a situation where the primary card is old enough and the new card is too young, that it can't utilize the latest driver for the older card. You cant install multiple drivers from the same graphics manufacturer and you need the primary card's adapter enabled.

You could try making a modded INF for a driver that would support both cards.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  3. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Thanks, i cant Geforce 7950GT its for Windows 98, but i can replace Geforce 1030, but problem is what card i can use?

Can i use Geforce 950 / 960 or i need something much older?
    Would be solution use some Radeon card like R460 or R470?

I though that Windows 7 drivers model is clever enough to handle multiple GPUs, even from same vendor. I dont mind if Geforce 7950GT or whole PCI-E slot with it, would be complete ignored by OS, i meant that disable card it device manager would do same, but its only some soft disable..

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  4. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    The bigger question is what are you using Windows 98 for?

Again, if it were from Nvidia it would have to be old enough to be supported under the latest driver that the 7950 GT supports. You can try modding the driver INF to force in support for 7950 GT from a driver that the gt 1030 supports, but its obviously not guaranteed to work.

After trying that, you can throw money at different options, be it running an AMD card along side the 7950 GT or building a dedicated Windows 98 machine to use the 7950 GT in. Obviously its nicer to be able to dual boot and use 1 set of hardware, but you are running into hardware support limitations.

It is, but the driver has to support both GPU models. By default the 309.08 driver is the last for the 7950 GT while the first for the GT 1030 is 382.23.

Since you can't run the 7950 GT and the GT 1030 under the same driver (by default), if you have the 309.08 driver installed then the 7950 GT is the only GPU the Nvidia Control Panel is able to detect. You disable that in the device manager and it see's no other Nvidia GPU since the GT 1030 isn't supported by the 309.08 driver and it throws that error.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017

5. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    If you absolutely must run both graphics cards for different purposes maybe you could dual boot two OS?

6. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Sorry, i tired by this question, i know what i want and why, i dont know if you remember Win 9x era, there not really working 3D virtualization driver for it, only working solution expect physical machine is bare metal virtuallization as Unraid,ESX with GPU passthrough and its has also its problem.

Dedicated HW only for Windows 98 its lots of wasted space, money and its a bit lazy solution.. i have already too much HW for gaming and what can be multiboxed and properly emulated i dont what to have physically.

Sorry, im not sure, if i understand your response properly, sorry bad English. Does it means that Geforce 7950GT + modern Radeon like 4xx will do what i need?

I already have multiboot system, but Windows 7 not working properly, because of problem which is subject of this disscussion.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  7. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Then why don't you go into more detail of what that is, because as it stands you aren't going to get Windows 7 to work with a 7950 GT and a GT 1030 together while dual booting Win98 by default.

I do remember the Win9x era. I played my share of doom, delta force, and KKND on it. If its virtualization support you talk about, then that's up to the developers of such software to support an old OS like Win98. It's old and not much is there that can't be done on later OSes other than zip drive, game port, or better DOS support.

But as hardware vendors stop supporting newer hardware for older OSes (like intel and MS are doing with Kaby Lake and Windows 10, might I add too quick for comfort) then it will be harder to keep existing hardware configurations in one PC.

It should as long as the application allows you to select which graphics card you want 3d hardware acceleration on.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  8. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    I though that this is handled by OS.. can i simply disable Geforce 7950GT in 1 slot and use only AMD card?

9. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    The OS doesn't dictate which is more capable (like with Nvidia Optimus systems, the driver chooses between integrated or dedicated graphics and not the OS). It will look for which monitor the desktop is on and which card to use in that respect.
    So if you are using a single monitor, using it connected to the second card may make the OS default to that card.

I'm not sure if anything changed since XP with running different manufacturer drivers in the same computer (which is the last time I used both [radeon 9550 + geforce 4 mx] ), but I would assume as long as a driver see's an active card to pass off to the OS it will work.

If it doesn't just uninstall the nvidia driver in safe mode for the 7950 GT. Also for what its worth, additional slots might only work at x8 PCI-E bandwidth or lower depending on the motherboard, even though they are a full 16x physical slot.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  10. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Its not work for me, maybe it works only when drivers are running well and my not running well, because primary card is blocking that, im still in strange vga safe driver mod, even second card driver in device manager are without error.

Yes i have tried completly uninstall Geforce 7950GT driver, or force VGA driver , its still the same.

I just need someone with both NV and ATI GPU to proof that is working, before i will go to shop..

11. C0D3M4N

C0D3M4N Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti
    If you only need the 7950GT for Win7 and you have dual boot, then remove the other card physically, boot to windows 7 with only the card you need and insure drivers are installed. Then Shut down and install the other card to a secondary slot. Now, when you boot into Windows 7 it should still default to the 7950, and will prob just show the other as a basic display adapter, which if you dont need it for Win 7, should be fine to leave that way.
    Do the same for any other OS's... Start them with just the one card you want and install drivers, then when you replace the second card it should still default to your original.
    If you are trying to use both cards simultaneously you can try as others have said to add the 7950gt to the current drivers so it is usable in the newer OS's. Getting the 1030 to work as anything but a basic display adapter in win98/7 may be tough, so for that OS I would do as I suggested and leave it as basic display adapter.