Force games to use more ram?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by KoncreteAngel, Aug 15, 2005.

1. KoncreteAngel

KoncreteAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    1800xt 512mb
    Windows XP insists on putting an entire game in page file. Its getting me really when I see that only 250mb of my 1GB is being used and most of the 1.5gb using battlefield 2 is getting stored in page file. This causes tons of loading pauses and too much skiping! Not just for BF2, but for all apps.

How can I force apps to use more ram?

2. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    nothing you can do about it. the game only uses as much ram as it's programmed to.

3. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I had a problem just like that when I was running the BF2 demo. I solved this by making sure that I had a low AGP Aperature setting and a lot of free RAM before I started the game. If that doesn't work then you can always just turn off the Virtual Memory, I'm sure that would force most of it to your system RAM.

BTW, turning off Virtual RAM hasn't/doesn't cause any problems. It does however mean that you get that annoying system tray icon saying that you are low on virtual RAM.

4. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

actually you'll find it can cause problems and crashes if the system finds it needs more then 1gb ram.... which can happen if a game happens to have a memory leak...

5. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    some apps/games like to use virtual memory even tho you have more than enough ram. i wouldn't disable it.

6. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Well I never had a problem with it and I had it that way for like a year.

7. SgtSquarenuts

SgtSquarenuts Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 Ultra o/c w/c/Koolance Exo
    If you can open the games config, like in Q3 it can be allocated from there. If I recall Q3 is 56mb on the hunk by default. I just reset to 756---that should do it, heh.

8. GodL!ke

GodL!ke Member

you need no where near that much ram for quake 3 i would set it to like /com_hunkmegs 256

9. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor Radeon HD 4850
    for bf2 u just need more ram...

10. GodL!ke

GodL!ke Member

bf2 is a system hog

11. scorpion

scorpion Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GeForce 6800GT Golden Samp
    The reason it's dumping that much on the paging file is because it's used all your memory, if you use Peformance monitor and view your RAM, you'll see that it is all being used, mine uses 900mb paging file, had to lower a few things down though, everything high it used 1.2gb, and lagged a bit. Now i don't even lag at the begining of the game.

1024x768 everything on high except, lighting and texture on medium and both dynamic on low, 2xAA 4xAF, get a good average of 60-70fps. You need more RAM, and even then, the game apparently still lags, it's a lost cause.