Force 16B/24B color depth in fullscreen?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Khenglish, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Khenglish

Khenglish Master Guru

GPU:
    external GTX 580
    I and many others run desktop graphics cards off of a laptop. Performance is good when using an external monitor, but when trying to use the laptop's LCD screen, performance drops drastically due to the framebuffer needing to be sent over the compressed x1 PCI-E link. I found that forcing 16bit color depth instead of 32 provides a major performance increase, and the drop in color quality is hardly noticeable in modern games. The problem is that I only know how to force 16 bit color in windowed mode. Is there some way to modify the driver or directX to force either 16 bit or 24 bit color even if the application requests 32 bit? I tried rivatuner, but it just doesn't work at all with modern drivers.

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    How does 16-bit color look OK to you?

3. Khenglish

Khenglish Master Guru

GPU:
    external GTX 580
    Thanks for the help and reading.

If you notice, I asked about 24bit color too, which has the same color spectrum of 32bit, but drops the rarely used 8 transparency bits. Also in some games the difference between 16bit and 32bit is hardly noticeable, but in others it is. I would prefer 24bit over 16bit though. Seems like free performance over 32bit.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Try PowerStrip.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    32-bit basically means 24-bit in Windows terms. It does not really work like that. 32-bit means that it has alpha layer. Image is still 24-bit. I.e. transparency does not make the actual image 32-bit.

PowerStrip might indeed be able to force resolution together with bit depth.

6. Khenglish

Khenglish Master Guru

GPU:
    external GTX 580
    I tried powerstrip, but it crashes whenever I try to open it. I looked into it and apparently it has problems with newer nvidia drivers, and the last powerstrip update was in april.

I'm thinking that the 8 alpha bits are in fact being transferred along with the frame buffer since 32 bit to 16 bit in one test gave 71% more fps, while if just the 24 bits were being sent you should only see a 50% improvement tops.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012