For guys who are recommending Intel for gaming...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by naike, Jan 11, 2013.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    The average person doesn't give 2 sh!ts about benchmarks. There is nothing wrong with AMD CPUs or their pricing.

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I didnt see wrong mentioned, you've started a different debate.
    Its about not being suitable for some common applications.

3. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    And the average person will say that a C2D with a 9400 GT but with a $50 SSD feels faster than a i7 3770k with a GTX 690 but with a HDD for everyday computing.

And you know what, they wouldn't be wrong.

So you can either rely on benchmarks to tell you absolute results, or you can rely on "feel. I just built a AMD 5600K system for my folks, and you know what, for everyday usage it feels just as fast as my high end system to my left. In fact, if I was to sit you down in front of both of them you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

But thanks to benchmarks, I know that my 2500k is able to complete jobs and open websites, etc, faster. And when loaded with many different tasks it can complete them much faster.

4. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    His FPS numbers stink on nearly every game he bench tested with on all those procs. Yea, that's what I want! To play Crysis at 22 FPS!

With frame rates that awful he should stay away from even building a gaming system. With todays hardware there is zero reason not to be playing every PC game on Earth well above 60 FPS with 100% of everything maxed out to the limit.

Shameful to say the least. With awful numbers like that he didn't sell me on any of those CPU's and he should try using a real video card rather than a GPU made by Fisher Price.

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    All those Game's have ingame or stand alone Benchmark's....Why not run them and show all results?

Instead he threw some number's up and people are gobbling it up...ie fx3850 get's better fps than i7...

Remember...They Can't Put Anything on the Internet that Isn't True...Bonjour!

6. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

My take away from this thread is:

For guys who are recommending Intel for gaming...

Don't believe benchmarks from tek syndicate, their testing prowess is sketchy at best, and down right dishonest and misleading at worst. So continue to recommend based on reputable sites, and your own knowledge of how each architect works.

Oh, and listen to the Dons or else your cyber life becomes very dull. :)

7. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    The problem with being ahead of its time is that it ends up as a part looking for its time. In the present it isn't made for what is currently available, so it suffers. In the future it's designed correctly, but even though the average efficiency is up it's still lost due to all of the improvements that have occurred since it came out and is now behind the curve in those aspects (things like instructions sets, memory controller improvements and such). In the end it's a solution looking for a problem. And, unfortunately, that's often how things work out for products that are ahead of their time. For every Geforce 8 series you have dozens of Piledrivers and Edsels.

8. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    I am not a fanboy ! BUT I like to have my wallet with some cash left in it ! So with that in mind I have always bought Amd ... just cuz it was slightly less money . True be said I never tried Intel , my father is a fan of Intel , but I always purchase what I feel I need. Before every purchase I read reviews and forums for the purchase I need to do . This is my 2 cents !

thank you

9. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Just bought an FX-8350 to replace my X4 955@3.8 loving the FX.

looked at Intel cost not worth it

Already had an am3+ board so going Intel would have cost me double what I spent but I would not get double the performance.

Video was interesting though taken with pinch of salt I looked at results from a lot of other review sites and it told me the FX is a good CPU does some things great and other things well does nothing that is truly bad. Love reading some of the remarks from Intel Fanboys and AMD Fanboys

I believe the FX-8350 is a good match to my 660ti

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    ^The 8350 is not a bad cpu in fact it is a very strong one but it falls behind intel on single thread performance and power consumption but no one would really notice the difference between and i7 and FX 8-core chip in a single gpu rig period.

11. _OM_

_OM_ Guest

GPU:
    This one too
    ...Well, we *did* look at modifying this one tactile feedback device we got in the lab one day - the one that allowed the blind to "see" what was on a screen by raising the height of a corresponding array of pins - so that the pins would be sharper and would provide enough contact to properly transmit the charge of a stun gun. Turns out the pin array could handle such voltages and still work as a sight aid, based on the specs, and the testing of one pin through the cable connected to a taser whose projectile tips had been removed. The pinscreen required the ground to be made through the metal rod supporting the array, which had four screws that you could *not* avoid touching while using the screen - in fact, it was necessary to provide a "reference" for those using their fingers a la the Braille Method for tipping strippers. But we did get the full 10KV over the cable, and it didn't damage anything on the pinscreen.

...Never went anywhere with this one, but several of us in that lab at D*ll were former local BBS sysops who remembered this one little "visually challenged" brat who got outed as one of the bigger hackers in town back around 1987. A decade later, all of us still hated the little bastard - and his scheming mother, whose antics have a whole plethora of stories unto herself - and a decade later we were still willing to send him one of these pinscreens, specially modified, gratis. :flame2:

So, if shock adversion therapy can't cure fanboyism, then you may be right after all...:(

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    :heh: nicely said