For G-Sync, should I cap 2 or 3 fps beneath refresh with Rivatuner?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by BlindBison, Jul 6, 2019.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Hi there guys,

I saw on Blur Busters that the recommended fps cap was 2 or 3 beneath monitor refresh -- 3 was recommended for a global cap of sorts because different limiters are maybe not as accurate so it's a "just in case" type deal.

But, Rivatuner from what I understand is very precise -- since it's quite accurate, I would expect there's no need to waste a frame of overhead.

So, with Rivatuner, I'd think 2 beneath refresh would be optimal while with in-engine limiters that are probably a bit less precise, 3 would be the optimal value.

Have I got that correct? Thanks for your help and time, I appreciate it.

P.S.

Is it still necessary to turn V-Sync ON in the nvidia control panel (not fast) and OFF in-game for the "Nvidia Frame time compensation" feature? I think so, but wanted to double check since the last official post I saw on that was from years ago. Thanks!

2. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    @RealNC I expect this is likely a good question for you -- sorry to bother you, if you get the chance to take a look, thanks a lot.

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    @StephenEnzor

With RTSS it was meassured to need 2FPS below Hz. The recommendation of -3 is to be on the safe side.

But you're not wasting a frame of overhead. On a 144Hz monitor for example, the difference between a 142FPS and a 141FPS cap is 0.05ms. On a 165Hz display, 163FPS vs 162FPS is 0.04ms. So basically zero. No difference whatsoever. You're not wasting anything.

(The math for that is simple: 1000/141 - 1000/142 and 1000/162 - 1000/163.)

BlindBison likes this.
  4. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Thank you, that's helpful!

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Experimentation helps too. On my system and monitor(s) I can get away with just -1 frame. You should load of CRU and see what the actual maxfps rate is for your monitor, and do precise settings: for example, my 4K monitor is 59.996, so I use 58.996 when I frame cap. (One game, Diablo3 x64, hitches with that, and I use 59.976, which is working)

I've also started using no VSync and frame cap, and instead use RTSS' Scanline Sync. (-30 for initial testing setting) Also working quite well in conjunction with GSync.

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Why would you turn off Vsync and use Scanline Sync with Gsync?

7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    To try it?