For a mother-in-law who will be moving abroad??

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Jdaisy, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Jdaisy

Jdaisy Member

GPU:
    Dell Studio/ 8:00 GB
    Hi everyone! So my mother in law will be moving abroad soon. She doesn't really favor whatsapp because she has doubts about whatsapp's data privacy and security. Oh well, so here i am stuck...trying to figure out the best alternatives.

Any other apps that are good and function similar? I would love to get some opinions. Probably if possible, something that you are familiar with? As for me, i cannot possibly imagine a life without whatsapp! :rolleyes: First World problems forsure!..haha

2. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Viber is a good alternative, I don't know about on Android but on Windows 10 Mobile Viber has a far better UI and overall smoother user experience than WhatsApp. Though I have to say WhatsApp has been a bit crap on W10M devices ever since it came out (received messages not triggering any pop-ups or notifications, bad UI etc.) Viber does all better. As I said not sure on Android as WhatsApp seems to be more developed on that side, but as you're looking for a good alternative try Viber, who knows maybe it's better than WhatsApp even on other OS'.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  3. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Make sure to put enough airholes in the crate and pay all the fees in time.

4. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Make sure she gets one way ticket :D

Joking aside, as GroinShooter just said Viber is nice. I find it (for me at least) to be the best solution for instant communication with my brother living in Australia, relatives and friends all over the world: text messages, free Viber-Viber voice calls, pictures, short video clips, sending files & links. You can make a video call via Viber also, but I think Skype still has the best video call capabilities so thats why for video call we're using Skype, for everything else Viber is best/quickest solution. My son also is using Viber and Skype, but for instant messaging with his friends he mostly uses WhatsApp.

Don't know how any of these are good or bad when it comes to privacy & security issues.

5. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    Telegram

is the same but with better security and open source

+ a crapload of PC clients

Technologically is far superior to whastapp, but it arrived late to the party

6. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Signal Private Messenger. Its what Edward Snowden recommended.

7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Telegram.

8. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    I always use Viber.

9. Jdaisy

Jdaisy Member

GPU:
    Dell Studio/ 8:00 GB
    Funny enough Telegram seems to be quite popular actually! But i must say after reading posts of various privacy issues with Whatsapp, it doesn't come as a suprise that she opts out of whatsapp, even when your messages would not need any form of NSA snooping :rolleyes:

I had no clue that you could actually send MS office files with Telegram!
    Viber seems to have it's audience but so does LINE. A friend was telling me about Hike and Signal. Wow, it's actually interesting to sought of discover all this reliable apps. I stumbled upon an article that gave an overview of some of the best alternatives out there. You can read through and sought of compare the best rated alternatives available. In the end, i do think that we will settle for Telegram! :cheers:

10. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Skype anyone??

11. nejoda

nejoda New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080
    Telegram. You can call, you can message, you can do it secretly. Best app ever.