For 8800 GTX Owners...What do you feel?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by yasendi, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Broseybrose

Broseybrose Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    its still the best card on the market, eff crysis performance AND 'crysis drivers'... nvidia better bring some serious firepower w that g92 to make me consider getting rid of my gtx... ive grown quite attached to it.

2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX 3090 H2O
    Remember 8800GTX and 8800Ultra overclocks well too and theres no comparison with an GTX or Ultra oc against a GT ;)

3. Darcon

Darcon Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @ 630/2000
    It's funny how one game can make everyone spaz out and start thinking their top-of-the-line hardware is suddenly crap.

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Thats where you went wrong im afraid, you should have bought your GTX for Dx9 not Dx10, as by the time we have a few Dx10 games that its actually worth having a Dx10 card for, the GTX's are gona be ancient and well surpassed, they are already ancient at 1x year old now anyway, and how many Dx10 games have they got, not many is it. :(

8 series should only be bought for being the fastest Dx9 cards around, if you want a Dx10 card then don't get an 8 series, or ATi's 2000/3000 series for that matter, wait till theres a fair few games using Dx10 here that its worth having a Dx10 card for, and that won't be the ancient 8800's or 2000/3000's.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Reality is that Crysis is much, much more taxing for GPU than UT3. It is over one year old card, it can't play all newest games maxed forever.

6. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 470

You are clueless...

7. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Amen!!

All the bs about how it'll grow with your system as you get new hardware is just a joke, they obviously just wanted to show off their graphics but couldn't be arsed making them playable.

It makes you wonder, what hardware did they play it on when they made it?

8. samusaran1

samusaran1 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 710/1970
    Yeah, I was pretty pissed when my 6800GT went out of style too but this is jut the price we have to pay for the luxury of gaming on the best platform around. If you are already mad because your year old card is starting to show its age then I suggest you find a new hobby or start buying more scratch off lotteries.

9. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Considering I could give a rat's ass about Crysis I'm quite pleased with my GTX still. I've had it for almost a year now and it's now finally stretching its legs with my new monitor. Of all the things I'm considering upgrading, the GPU is bottom of the list (well, right above RAM as I don't need more of that either). My GTX is likely to be my first card since the 9800 Pro that will stick with me for more than one generation, and that really says something about how happy I am with it.

10. outlaw88

outlaw88 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I've downloaded both the UT3 demo as well as the Crysis demo and my 8800gtx has stood its ground in a big way. It's definitely been the most impressive card I've ever purchased. UT3 ran perfectly at max settings and max resolution which, for me, is 1680x1050. Crysis did really well too @ 1680x1050 with everything set to High. I thought I would definitely have some trouble with Crysis but the performance has far exceeded my expectations.

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i think you need to do something different with your rig. i can play it fine with a 7900gtx. all high is playable but sometimes not, but all med is butter smooth so maybe something is bottlenecking or maybe OS reinstall,just a thought anyway.
    also UT3 isnt generating 2 kilemeters of jungle foilage with dynamic AI and destrutable buildings...etc. so it should run fine maxed out of course.

i assume you've seen the source code then and analyzed it so you know where they goofed right?

12. chfields

chfields Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285 1GB SC
    I have the file tweak for XP so I can get the very high settings in Crysis, otherwise you only get high.

13. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Well if im happy with my GTS 640mb still then i would be surprised to see anyone disgruntled with a GTX. I know crisis is a killer, but that game asside my card even runs pretty much everything else under the sun at well above avg frame rates. Hell im even happy with crisis performance. Runs great on my vista x64 machine with 2xAA everything high in dx9 mode (dx mode all high looks identical to dx10 mode all high).

Sure everyone is entitled to criticize their own hardware, esp the prices we pay for it, but when its come to the 8800 series I have been impressed across the board and I am still so impressed with my cards performance 1 year down the line that if it stays like this I may very well miss the 9* series depending on how much faster they are..

14. dakronic

dakronic Active Member

GPU:
    ATI - HD6950 - 2GB
    are u talking about crysis demo coz demos are normaly well buggy but yes sum games are bad" but UT3 played fine for me mate

crysis demo played **** ,, but is demo remmba~

unreal tornament 3 played g00d on demo i await game :D

and if u feel bad for unreal tornament u can get pysix card will help graphics \o/

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  15. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    I agree, but its not the same, because there is nothing more powerful than an 8800gtx (ultra is just overclocked) so its not like we are trying to play crysis on really bad hardware an expecting amazing performance... we have the best hardware available and have to play on medium settings to get the same performance that we get in other current games, like cod4, which looks almost as good as crysis but i get double the frames.

I'm still gunna buy it because I think the gameplay and story will be worth it, but I don't agree with crytek's rationale that you should make a game where the best hardware available can't max it out, because lets face it, by the time there's a new top-end card out, we'll all have played crysis already, and there's no way I'm gunna play through it again on the high settings, because I'll have new games with even better graphics to be playing!!

16. samusaran1

samusaran1 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 710/1970
    I have played through Farcry with the newer hardware and although the story is predictable now the game play is amazing.

I see what your saying though. They shouldn't have made it sooo future proof

17. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    Crytek even said, don't expect to play this game maxed out on current hardware. Yet what do people expect to do...

Seriously, crytek did not design this game for year old graphics cards. It is meant to be the most graphically advanced game yet, which it clearly is. There isn't another game that looks as good at max settings as Crysis. So you have to play at high settings - which still look great - in order to get 50 fps at very high resolutions. When far cry came out, and current hardware struggled, it wasn't trying to play the game at 1680x1050, it was 1280x1024, over 50% less pixels. Just because crysis doesn't play well at that resolution, people start threads like this just to bitch. What do you want, games to look like Bioshock and COD4 forever? they do look good, but there is definite differences in detail from them to crysis. Just enjoy your card until something better comes out, and for once, realize that a single card isn't going to play every game maxed out just because nothing better is available. the new cards are around the corner, so you don't have that long to wait. And it's only one game that you can't play at the settings you want, so if it's that bad, then don't play crysis until you get a new card. Personally, If all I had to do was turn down a couple settings with a card over a year old, then I'd be pretty happy with that purchase, but I guess I am in the minority on that because all I've seen in the games forum lately is complaining about crysis performance.

summary - Don't expect year old hardware to play the most demanding game just because there is nothing better out yet. In a year, you will be happy that crytek designed their game this way, but for now, stop bitching

18. AeroxRacer

AeroxRacer Active Member

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GTX
    where's your problem?

I can run CoH in DX10 without problems, i can run Crysis in DX10 with good fps, i can play every dx10 game whats out now with 1680*1050 and maxed out

19. Ahura

Ahura Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GT Superclocked 512
    Is it really that huge of a different between all High settings and Very High? I ran Medium and High everything w/ 88 GT 8xAA and to be honestly, they look pretty much exactly the same to me, even 4x and 8X. I mean yeah yu might notice a chip here and there, IF yu just walk around and look for details, which is something I hope y'all does not just pay 1 grand+ to do.

I think people are just overreact w/ their 3000x2000 resolution and 16x32AA w/ extra ketchup and complementary large fries.....There is a cap on the human perception on quality. Beyond a certain point, yu just will just not be able to distinguish extra fine from extra extra to the tenth fine.

20. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o

would't call 80 fps avg bad tbh ;>
    well will mostly depend on maps then again ut3 demo is't dx10
    when comes out final will be dx10 tough.
    so performance will go up a bit.

Stop comparing a Huge outdoor game with mostly indoor game.
    where you play hide and seek and kill.

if had some exprience map making you do known also that game like crysis especialy with the huge image quality and dramatic viewing distance it has.
    really hard to optimise give them a break.....
    and besides games like crysis if want make them playable and optimise them for good performance you would totaly destroy image quality noticeable.
    remember interview in some crysis vid they wanted to make crysis the best looking game.
    and that makes it even harder ;>.

as for ut3 you dont go play in the open to much anyway unless you want get headshotted.
    or caught in the fire each time.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007