1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Folding on A Radeon X1950Pro 512MB PCI-E

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Crossfire, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB
    Hello.

As some of you may know, I'm going to be building a new computer around Christmas time. Yeah, finally !!

Well, I will mainly be using this rig for Folding, Applications (Photoshop, Video Converting, etc.), Gaming, and more... So I was going to put a GeForce 8800GT in, but after looking over it, I need to bring the budget down some more. So I was thinking about putting a HIS Radeon X1950Pro 512MB PCI-E with IceQ cooler, in it. But if the prices drop some more I'll get either a Radeon 3870 or GeForce 8800GT.

Main Question: If I got a X1950Pro 512MB would it be a better folding component then the Q6600 I'm putting in it ??

Ok, now I have an off-topic question... Would it be better to put one Radeon 3870 in, and then in the future put another one in and CrossFire ?? I've read a couple reviews saying CrossFire beats SLI and it's more mature. Plus, F@H might work on it, eventually.

Thanks!

- CrossFire

2. play2lose

play2lose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 X Diamond 7970's
    for your money i would definitely go with at least the ATI 3870. they have really amazing performance for the price, and you could always get another later for CF for a nice improvement. but if you have the cash i would get the new 8800gts 512mb when it comes out.

for the main topic: im quite sure that GPU's are far more powerfull than CPU's so im pretty sure it would be better to fold with than a Q6600 but this is just my logical guess so dont quote me on that =p

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  3. DevilDude

DevilDude Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Bliss 7800GS+ 512Mb AGP
    Yaay! Glad to hear you're finally getting your kit!! :hatty:

It thought you already could fold with crossfire GPUs?

The description for the GPU download says "Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista GPU Client console version (with multi-GPU support)"

Ahh you can - but presumably you have to disable it somehow.

"Multiple GPUs are currently supported (see instructions below), but Crossfire is not supported -- Crossfire will make FAH run more slowly than using a single GPU (this isn't a bug as much as a fundamental issue regarding the nature of a Crossfire/SLI type architecture)."

Can you do that in software or is that a hardware type of issue??

4. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Im not entirely sure the hd3 or 2 series will be F@H-able, for a while since the forums suggest this, TBH I'd go with the x1950pro, because its cheap, fast and drivers are perfect imo, but the 38xx cards that have been released are pretty good, but buying the dirt cheap x1950pro thats already fah capable makes more sense since youll save a few £££ and keeping that cash buy the newer alternatives around Q2?

My theory, and what im going to be doing :D

5. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB
    Ok, but would it get more PPD then a Q6600 ??

6. aircool

GPU:
    I think this is the second time ive been through this with you alone, lol.

No you will not get more ppd than a q6600.

7. Saske

Saske New Member

GPU:
    Gainward 7900gs 512MB
    does anybody know can you fold with your cpu and gfx card at the same time...

8. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB
    You don't want to.

...GPU Clients have a deadline, and if you run a CPU Client at the same time it will not make the deadline. Thus you will not recieve any points.

9. aircool

GPU:
    Oh noes, look at the gpu client pillaging my PPD /sarcasm.

W/O GPU Client, 2100ppd max, with i can get to 2500, 2600 when lucky.

Im trailing it, 2 wu's in so far, with out any problems, also some other good news, it is my 50th WU to be put in succesfully with out needing to reformat my pc, wohoo.

[​IMG]

Also, 5 Million mark! : http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2520009&postcount=835

Keep folding guys.

10. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB
    What the f*ck?!?! You told me it would screw it up... :|

11. aircool

GPU:
    It can screw up, cause I wont be puting in a WU today. ffs!

12. DevilDude

DevilDude Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Bliss 7800GS+ 512Mb AGP
    And you believed him?? :)