Folding@Home - Join The Fight!

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader Staff Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Welcome to the Guru3D F@H Team Icchan,

If you have multiple ATI/AMD GPUs, then you need to install 1 GPU Client per GPU. Just make sure that each GPU Client has its own separate folder and the correct -gpu X flag. F@H doesn't use CFX so it doesn't matter if it is enabled or disabled.

2. Icchan

Icchan Member

GPU:
    Radeon 69(70) 2GB & 4850
    I've looked into it, and have found that my monstrous 6970 is not yet supported, but my 4850 is, i'll be installing and folding by this afternoon, with my cpu folding Now.

anything else i should know about joining the G3d folding team?

3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    how do u get it? i was getting it iwth my q9650 and 480..but cant get it now..i dont know whats the problem :(

now = i7 950 and 480

look at my score now..it has been20 hours that i started to fold now and that score..k?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  4. Icchan

Icchan Member

GPU:
    Radeon 69(70) 2GB & 4850
    ok I've installed my 4850, but catalyst lists it as "disabled". do i need a monitor hooked up to it for it to work?

5. J_J_B

J_J_B Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA: 2xSLI 580HC, 480HC
    Icchan:

I've never used ATI so I'm not in the "know" regarding ATI products but what I'll say is that it used to be necessary to plug a monitor into nVidia cards until they added a feature to their drivers that permits calculations to be made on all cards regardless of monitor connectivity (the "CUDA - GPUs" setting, the default value for which is "All"). From your description it kinda sounds like your card is somehow disabled though... I'm not sure if the problem is related to monitor connectivity or not.

On the SLI side (equivalent of CFX on ATI)... it's not "supposed" to be necessary to disable SLI to fold on multiple F@H GPU3 clients (one per GPU) but I've found that disabling it does result in greater individual GPU usage when folding.

<Addition>
    Elaborating on that last topic of nVidia GPU folding performance when SLI is enabled: what happens on my system is the usage of each GPU remains steady at 100% for several hours and then I start to see spontaneous and very momentary drops in % usage, all the way to 0% usage, on one of the two cards in SLI. By disabling SLI prior to folding I can avoid this. I don't think my PPD is being affected much when in SLI mode by this odd behavior but I prefer to disable SLI for folding never the less.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  6. Icchan

Icchan Member

GPU:
    Radeon 69(70) 2GB & 4850
    Indeed you were right JJ, needed to hook up monitor.
    now my question is how do i install multiple clients, if i try to install again it ask for repair or removal. should i just change the folder name of the first install?

7. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Multiple GPU installation -> <Click>

Just make sure to enter out Gurur3D's Team number 69411 into the Client and your username (it can be any) and you are good to go :)

8. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    hey mr.B can you try just running on clinet

like gpu3 on the 480 or smp for you 950 so we can see if they are running ok on there own

and are you running HFM.net to monitor them it will help see if there running right

9. iancook221188

GPU:
    welcome to the team Icchan :thumbup:

10. J_J_B

J_J_B Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA: 2xSLI 580HC, 480HC
    Yeah it stinks having to hook up an extra monitor. Most newer monitors have multiple inputs though (both a DVI and VGA or HDMI connector for instance). What you can do is connect the unused input to the 4850 (using an adapter as necessary) and that should do the trick. The connection just needs to be present...

11. Icchan

Icchan Member

GPU:
    Radeon 69(70) 2GB & 4850
    Alright, i've managed to get the set up going on both cards, the only problem is that my progress on my 4850 doesnt seem to go up. i can view the progress on my other client fine, but the gpu1 instance is not updating the progress despite its status being "working"

and if i use the online progress i only see the greater one... how do i view them all?

12. iancook221188

GPU:
  13. mAX26

mAX26 Member

GPU:
    Powercolor 5850
    Okay im new to the whole folding scene, so i was wondering how much ppd should i be getting with my system??
    My cpu i7 920@3.6 HT on and my HD 5850
    I also had a 9600 as a physx card but i couldn't for the love of god got it too fold.

14. iancook221188

GPU:
    your cpu could get around 12-15k ppd the 9600 would be about 2.5-4kppd i think the 5850 would be 5k ati card are waiting on a new client to run on the effectively

15. mAX26

mAX26 Member

GPU:
    Powercolor 5850
    I need some help with my 9600
    I cant get it to fold
    Do i need to put any extra flags for it to work??

16. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    It is very difficult to get an Nvidia GPU to fold when there is an ATI one in the same system (also true vice-versa). There isn't any sure method to make it work and is mostly trial-and-error.

The flags that I would use for the 9600 are:
    -verbosity 9 -forcegpu nvidia_g80
    You may want to post a section go the FAHlog for further troubleshooting.

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI

HFM.net? k man iwll try it if i dont forget...

iam so sorry guy i cant support our cause as good as before :(

18. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    Hey atleast you are still folding we don't care that your not doing 50 WU's every 10 mins as long as your ticking them over that's all that counts Unlike some of our team (93.4%) who've just dropped of the radar for whatever reasons.... and even myself who said I'm not folding again till v7 comes out has started to fold again :eek:c:
    and getting 2880PPD out of each HD5770 that's only 10 or so WU's a day and I'm happy with that until v7 arrives all I'm trying to say is THANKS for continuing to fold and not just giving up :thumbup:

19. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    folding back man! and look at my score..iam just..sooo happy :D and thanx for great support!

20. iancook221188

GPU:
    well done Mr.B :banana: