Folding@Home - Join The Fight!

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. 9a3eedi

9a3eedi Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATi 5870
    Just joined the team :D

I got it running on a 5870, though it seems it doesnt take advantage of the card's potential because I had to force it to treat it like a 4870. I hope they fix that soon.

Question: is it possible to run both GPU and CPU clients at the same time

Also, I got it running on my PS3 too :D

2. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    yes you can run both cpu and gpu..

Best cpu client would be either SMP or notfreds..

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    haven't seen a VM client listed anywhere...just the CPU, SMP and GPU clients.

4. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Currently I'm running 2xCPU, GPU and SMP....fahmon is estimating roughly 9000-9500PPD between the 4 instances.

6. sambo60

sambo60 Member

GPU:
    CrossfireX 2x 1GB HD4870s
    Hi guys!
    I've been reading this site for a long time, but never got into folding because I was too lazy. I'm in school now, and I just picked up a nice system on craigslist for $200. Specs:
    DFI nf4 sli mobo
    AMD fx-55
    2GB RAM
    300GB HD
    19" LCD
    Wireless Mouse and KB
    ATI x1300 (ugh!!)

It was a very good deal, so I went out and spent $118 on an HD 4870, and junked the x1300. Now I'm running the GPU client, and I can play games too! My regular desktop is 3,000 miles away at home, and my only laptop is a netbook (major gaming ugh...). Do you guys think I should bother running the CPU client on top of this, or just leave the poor fx-55 alone?

7. Roostitup

Roostitup Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 275 SLI 713/1584/1242
    I would try running the CPU client at least to try it out. Watch the PPD output on the GPU using Fahmon before and after using the CPU client and see if it has a significant influence on the GPU PPD. If the GPU PPD stays the same or close to the same and the all around system performance isn't hurt bad than I would say go ahead with the CPU client. You may have to set the priority of the GPU to slightly higher so that the CPU client doesn't slow down the GPU as much. Setting the priority higher on the GPU may make it harder to play games while folding though.

8. sambo60

sambo60 Member

GPU:
    CrossfireX 2x 1GB HD4870s
    Is it normal for the cpu (and the gpu) to be at 100% all the time when the GPU client is running? Or is it just that my fx-55 can't feed the GPU fast enough (when compared to more modern CPUs)? And if it is abnormal, and the fx-55 is the issue, I assume that running the CPU client (in addition to the GPU client) would be pretty useless...

9. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    When I was using ATI cards each one would use 25% of my quad core cpu.
    So it does look like that may be normal for your cpu to be at 100%..

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Once I get everything installed....I'll reload both CPU and GPU clients and see if there's any noticable performance difference. I'm stuck using an HD4850 right now as my GTX275 appears to be faulty.

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    umm. iam NOOB u all know it very well..i did this at my old clan in 2006..and shame to me again i start it today. i installed the file ..typed my name and entered guru3d ID number and now program runs ..folding CPU. iam not sure if i miss something due my lack of technical english vocabulary of these stuff. do i need to do something extra?

12. Romiz

Romiz Guest

With your video card go for the GPU client. And I run the 3rd client down "Console Client". I like it since can makes changes fast. However do not run display. It slow folding down 66% and is very buggy.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    thanx for advice man :)

14. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    well i joined a couple a days ago have done 5wu's so far so i'll just keep ploddin along till my 5770 gets here

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Welp, after several sleepless nights, numerous calls to MS, several e-mails to BFG Tech and a rather quick exchange with ASRock....I installed a new Foxconn ELA motherboard last night. Will run some quick stress tests to make sure everything is functioning properly... If everything checks out, I should be back up and folding by Monday. Will have to reload Windows first, as it didn't take too kindly to the major configuration change lastnight. Hope everyone's folding is going well and hopefully I'll be back up and running again soon. Still have to RMA my P45TS-R.....the Foxconn bios leaves a LOT to be desired.....appears I'll need to get an engineering degree to overclock my processor....lol.

16. AmyLyn0509

AmyLyn0509 New Member

GPU:
    2x G71 7900GTX SLI
    New Guru3D Folding Team Member

Greetings. Just a quick hello to the team. I've installed the CPU version as of last night and am working on a second WU already. As time permits, I will look into downloading a GPU version to run across my 2x 7900 GTX in SLI. Not certain how the laptop will handle that, but going to give it a try.

17. AmyLyn0509

AmyLyn0509 New Member

GPU:
    2x G71 7900GTX SLI
    7900 GTX Not CUDA-Enabled

After a little research, it appears I am excluded from the GPU folding option based on my graphics cards. The cards are not listed as CUDA-Enabled, which as I understand it would be a requirement. Will have to wait until I purchase my new rig, but until then, if anyone knows different regarding my current laptop cards, please feel free to advise.

Thanks in advance.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    You will need an nVidia GeForce8 or newer graphics card...or an ATI Radeon HD2000 or newer graphics card to run Folding@Home GPU. Intel's and VIA's integrated graphics chipsets won't work, nor with the S3 graphics cards. Hopefully they will switch to an OpenCL codebase in the future to allow S3 graphics cards and Intel's CPU+GPU to work as well.

19. AmyLyn0509

AmyLyn0509 New Member

GPU:
    2x G71 7900GTX SLI
    Thank you very much for the confirmation. I've been trying to research any options for upgrading my graphics cards to CUDA-Enabled, however, no luck yet. Manufacturer of laptop does not know... good ol'e Alienware (Dell) support :( ... so I have submitted question to nVIDIA directly and will continue research myself as well. If I find any viable options, you can plan on me upgrading and participating with Folding@Home GPU as well.

Thanks again.

20. Nexevo

Nexevo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX275 GS
    Hi all. Don't know why I didn't contribute before but I decided to participate.

GTX275 24/7 folding when not gaming ;)