Folding@Home - Join The Fight!

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. mmaakk

mmaakk New Member

GPU:
    GTX 260 OCX MAXCORE
    Congrats mlmiller.

The first 1M we never forget! hehe...

:cheers:

2. Overclocked76

Overclocked76 Member

GPU:
    Sappphire 4870X2 2gig
    Congrats on the 1M club! :) I might get there in a year lol and welcome mmaakk :infinity:

3. mmaakk

mmaakk New Member

GPU:
    GTX 260 OCX MAXCORE
  4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Niuce .. good stuff you guys, keep it up ! Much apreciated :)

5. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Aye, managed to get the GPU client running again and should have another SMP going :D

At least 6.5k PPD is being predicted.

6. mike41

mike41 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560ti
    aircool how COOL does your setup actually run. with this F@H stuff Is it REALLY cool as its air cooled

7. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Puts things into perspective - running my laptop (spec in sig) pretty much 24/7, I'm posting an average of 283 PPD lol

I think our old Athlon XP box is still folding at my parents house. Not sure how much use it gets any more - which is a shame as an XP2800 would make all the difference :)

We do what we can...

8. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Well I'm actually folding with a slightly oc'd XP2800+ since today! Faster than a speeding yak...it's already got 7 points over 45 minutes!

9. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX580 8GB
    soon ill be in 200.000 club if we have any =)

10. mmaakk

mmaakk New Member

GPU:
    GTX 260 OCX MAXCORE

11. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    ok im joing now using GPU, can you have both installed and use both at the same time ? when my pc is idling?

12. Sky King

Sky King New Member

GPU:
    ATI 4850 / 1GB
    Greetings all, I am a fairly experienced folder, having been folding for a couple of years... but always on spare machines, like a single core P4 that hacks out 80 or 90 PPD. However, I have not spent a lot of time tinkering, so I don't mean to imply I have much experience in configuring/optimizing my folding.

Well, I just picked up a new i7 920 desktop with a ATI 4850 GPU, and want to get some serious folding done. I loaded up the base 6.23 console and have it running as a service, which is what I usually do. And it's no slouch, the current WU is running at 880 PPD, and only using about 12% of the machine, which turns out to be the equivelant of 100% on a single thread on one core. (The Intel i7 is a quad core with hyperthreading, so it presents to me the appearance of having 8 cores.)

I am looking for recommendations. I assume I could do a few things:
    1. Run multiple no-nonsense clients and use affinity to assign cores
    2. Run multiple no-nonsense clients and just let the Vista scheduler distribute the load
    3. Run the SMP client
    4. Run the GPU client on the 4850
    5. Run a combination of the above (GPU + no-nonsense, or GPU + SMP)

I want FAH to run in the background, idle priority only, as a service, as I use the machine for other things. I have NO experience with the SMP or GPU clients, so I am not sure what performance ding I take for running those. I know the no-nonsense client... since some bugs were fixed back in v5, has been flawless in being completely invisible to me as a user. Will I see the same thing form the GPU, that is, my flight sim will get the whole GPU and never know FAH is there?

I am switching over to this team, as now that I have some more serious iron, I need a community to help me with this kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance,

-Max

13. Treble557

Treble557 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX295/8800gtx physx
    I would like to join this, as I have cystic fibrosis, and alot of the problems from CF stem from protiens being botched.

The questions I have before getting my I7 machine here going (and possibly PS3 too), would be:

1) How heavy of a toll will it take on my system? Will I see a heavy FPS dip in games?
    2) How exactly does one set it up on the PS3????
    3) With this score thing, will all things compiled by me add up to a total score of PPD? or will I have multipul names down saying what each machine has done in specific?
    4) Does it matter which version I run outside of which version will calculate more PPD? Like, do specific versions do specific things?

*edit*
    Nm, I figured most of it out. I just need to know how to chose between the gpu and cpu version now, and figure out which is faster.

*edit2*
    Ok, now activly folding on the PS3 and my comp. Comp is on the guru3d team, same name as the forums for me, Treble557.

This things running at 10fps though... I'm not exactly seeing alot of usage on my cpu or gpu either. Is there something im supposed to do to get it to run faster?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  14. aircool

GPU:
    Why not run both, CPU (SMP Version is a must for you!) and the GPU Client.

Make sure you check your drivers, even though some sets may support F@H some can still be flaky.

1. Toll is up to you, you may notice a decrease in desktop performance with the GPU client but the SMP client you'll see less (if not no impact). Obvioulsy closing down the clients will be a must for gaming mind.
    2. It should be quite self explantry.
    3. Give your self a name (username) and all your work units and there credits will appear under that single name. PPD is Points Per Day.
    4. Not really, run both GPU and CPU SMP if you find it easy enough.

15. Treble557

Treble557 Master Guru

GPU:
    Ok, I got both versions going now. Question though! How can I tell what this "Iteration" number is? Like, there's a topic in this section about someones iterations and they're in like the 400-600's or something. How can I tell what mine are?

16. aircool

GPU:
    Depends if your running the GUI client or console client.

It's much better or more accurate to use something generating PPD (Points Per Day).

Use FahMon for that.

17. Treble557

Treble557 Master Guru

GPU:
    It can't seem to read them for some reason. Says it either can't access the files or they don't exist.

Was I not supposed to point them to the exe's for the programs?

*edit*
    Ok, I pointed the cpu one at just the folder, and that worked. it's monitoring that one just fine now.
    As for my GPU one, I still can't get it to. Tried pointing it at all the folders for the GPU ones installation, but it doesn't seem to pick up on it.

18. aircool

GPU:
    For FahMon?

Just point it to the root folding at home folder.

Say you install your F@H client to:

C:/FAH/CPU

Thats the path that should be in FahMon.

19. Treble557

Treble557 Master Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, I figured that part out, but it doesn't seem to work for monitoring the GPU one.

*edit*
    Ok, turns out because im using vista 64 I couldn't just use the 86x folder one. Had to go to a folder called "roaming", where I found it sitting, and linked that one to it. Works now.

20. Treble557

Treble557 Master Guru

GPU:
    I get... 1201.37 PPD it says on this machine in both of the windows. So... Does it say that because I have both running at once and would normally be like 600 each? or are they each seriously pumping out 1200+?

*edit*
    Neeeeever mind! It just updated with my CPU adding in.

CPU gets 358.01, and GPU gets 1201.37, and it says I total up to 1559.38 PPD on this machine.