Folding@Home - Join The Fight!

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    With the United Devices project coming to a halt, I've decided that we will join a good cause by starting a Guru3D Folding@Home Team.

[​IMG]

To track/see our current Team ranking position click here.

Currently we are researching cures for Alzheimer so this truly is a fantastic project. It would be great if you could donate CPU/GPU time in this project.

Let's proof we are true Guru's and will rank high in the charts. Who's with Guru3D? You are? Good! Then download the client, insert your nickname and insert the Guru3D Team number: 69411 setup of the client is EASY !

I have started a Folding information page here.

Can I use this on any platform?
    Pretty much Yes. Currently Standford supports Windows, Linux, OSX, PS3. GPUs (ATI/Nvidia) are exclusive to Windows.

What Clients are there and what are the differences?
    Almost all Clients come in two versions:

1. GUI (Graphical User Interface) - It displays a windows where you can edit all the parameters for the F@H Client.
    2. CLI (Command Line Interface) - It is a no-nonsense client that is configured using the Command window.
    Available Client types are:

1. Classic Client - It is a set-and-forget type where it will be using only one core/thread of your CPU. It works on all platforms.
    2. GPU2 Client - It is a high performance Client which uses the GPU to process the WU instead of the CPU. Officially, it is supported on Windows only.
    3. GPU3 BETA Client - It is a high performance Client which uses the GPU to process the WU instead of the CPU. Officially, it is supported on Windows only. (Unofficially, it can run on Linux: <Click>)
    4. SMP2 BETA Client - It is a high performance Client that is available in CLI Version only. It runs on all platforms and can use 100% of the CPU or less, depending on how you configure it. It works on all platforms.
    Note:

• BETA Clients are not finalized so you can expect a few rough edges. If found, please report them in the Official Folding Forum.

Which is the fastest Client(s)?
    All Clients use the same FahCore_XX.exe (it will vary according to the OS and WU type) to process the WU so there is hardly any difference. The CLI version is a no-nonsense one and under some conditions, can be easier to setup when compared to GUI version.

Note:

• When a new FahCore Version is released, it may decrease/increase the time taken to process the WU.

Which Client(s) should I use?

You should first choose the Client Version:

1. GUI Client - It has its own installer and will place the necessary shortcuts. But its simplicity can be taken at a cost as the GUI Client may interfere with some games and may affect Client performance and stability which is why the console Client is usually recommended in those cases. Do note that when using GPU intensive applications, you should either exit or pause the Client.
    2. CLI Client - Shows progress in a simple Command window, also it can be setup as a service regardless of who's logged in. The downside is that it's slightly more complex to install and you'll have to make all your own shortcuts. This doesn't have a pause feature like the GUI Client.
    After you have decided what Version of F@H Client you want, you should then choose what Client type you want. These are my suggestions for choosing a F@H Client:

Use Classic Client if:
    1) System isn't running 24/7
    2) You want a set-and-forget client that doesn't need any monitoring
    3) Not savvy for points and would like to do your best with the least amount of effort
    4) Points aren't your priority
    5) You want F@H to remain unobtrusive
    Note - If you have a powerful system but run it for <15 hours, you can install multiple Classic Clients (one per CPU)

Use GPU2 Client if: (Officially on Windows Only)
    1) You have a discrete GPU (preferred Nvidia Non-Fermi only (Fermi isn't supported) due to current situation with GPU2 Client)
    2) System is on for 15+ hours
    3) Would like to get some more points with some effort

Use GPU3 BETA Client if: (Officially on Windows Only; Unofficially, it can run on Linux: Details)
    1) You have a discrete GPU (preferred Nvidia Fermi as they give high Points when compared to Non-Fermi)
    2) System is on for 10+ hours
    3) Would like to get some more points with some effort

Use SMP2 BETA Client if: (normal; Details)
    1) You have a powerful system
    2) Know their way around with F@H cores
    3) System is on 24/7
    4) Would like to contribute significantly to F@H in terms of scientific value and get the advantage of high points

Use SMP2 BETA Client if: (bigadv; Details)
    1) You have an extremely powerful system
    2) Know their way around with F@H cores
    3) System is folding 24/7
    4) Would like to contribute the most to F@H in terms of scientific value plus get the advantage of massive points

How do I install my Client(s)?
    Quick Classic Client Installation Guide: <Click>
    Detailed Classic Client Installation Guide: <Click>
    Detailed GPU2 Client Installation Guide: <Click>
    GPU2 -> GPU3 Transition Guide For Windows + Link To Linux: <Click>
    Detailed SMP2 Client Installation Guide: <Click>
    Additional Detailed Guides: <Click>

Note:
    1. The Guru3D Team number is: 69411
    2. Currently, the Nvidia GPUs outperform the ATI GPUs by a significant margin. This will hopefully change in the future
    3. If the SMP2 Client isn't configured with the -smp flag, it will download the Classic Client WU and FahCore which will only use one core of your CPU regardless of how many you have
    4. If you use the SMP2 Client, you should use the passkey so that you can take advantage of the Bonus Point system
    5. If you have chosen to install the GPU Client on an ATI GPU system, you should be using Environment Variables to maximize the Client efficiency: <Click>

You can check your score at either Standford's site or the Extreme Over Clocking Folding at Home stats.

Standfords Stats page: The Guru of 3D Teams Stats.
    EOC Page:The Guru of 3D Stats page.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2013
  2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Joining, GPU or CPU for me?

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Score wise CPU's match better. But totally your call obviously .. try out both and have a peek which serves you the best.

Thanks ! Who's next ?

4. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2 H²0 & Eizo SX2761W
    Already joined. Doing GPU on this machine, installing CPU client on my fileserver. Top notch!

5. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    I had no idea UD was ending, I still run that on my 'work OS' any time I have to use it (which isn't much anymore I must admit lol)

Anyway, I've downloaded the cpu client, let's see how much I can bloat my electricity bill by:p

Is there any way to make it use both cores properly, instead of just 50%?

6. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Im using the cpu one now.

Ill get round to putting this on the fear server too.

7. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2 H²0 & Eizo SX2761W
    Run 2x of the no nonsense version, I think.

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 ACX
    Doing GPU now.

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You can install the SMP version which will utilize whatever number of cores you have. It's a console version though, so no sexy graphs here ..

Greats guys ..
    Who has the balls to be next ?

10. DrSiN

DrSiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    Transfering over to folding at home , I could use a different screensaver anyway lol.

Seems odd that they would be ending the project now just as Folding@Home started getting big press mentions with the PS3 involvement.

Edit: Just installed it and it dosnt come with a fancy screensaver like UD :( Oh well

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007

11. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    i really wished i could join, but i have a mobile cpu/gpu, i tried this and it sayd all the folding process will end in july 2008 :(.... and that is if the cpu will be idle ALL the time!

12. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    cheers, currently running the gui version + console version together @ 100% cpu usage.

I tried the smp version, but it only uses around 25% cpu even when setup to use low priority (not idle) and request 100% cpu :confused:

holy crapola, August 9th 2007 here... Would've thought they'd make the chunks a little smaller tbh

DrSin - the full GUI version gives you the screensaver (though it's hideously bugged on my system)

[EDIT] The client is slow to update the chunk finish date, only now has mine updated the estimate to 29th April 2007 :bonk: give it another go Sash

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 ACX
    I have no clue what this means. Is this finished work on Monday?
    [​IMG]

14. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix GTX 970 4GB
    Just joined the group. already started folding mah proteins yesterday. go venice core, go!

It seems that the tasks are a bit larger than UD's :p on 800/5000 now...

Once I get my C2D in june I'll dedicate both my cores.

15. Richard_Noggin

Richard_Noggin Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GT 512MB
    Witch one do i need for using my GPU ?

16. DrSiN

DrSiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    The GPU client?

17. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
  18. MrFox

MrFox Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 580GTX SOC x2
    Just joined hope it helps :)

19. dfwny

dfwny Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX280 SSC Ed. 1GB
    For those of you running multiple copies of the console version, I hope you caught this in the User Guide "Do's and Don'ts" http://folding.stanford.edu/console-userguide.html :

Downloaded the GUI version for one of my home machines for now. Unfortunately, my Dual - Core2 Duo server at work is running our accounting software's SQL database, so I won't be able to install the SMP version of F@H since it's still in Beta testing :(

Going to need to put some time into testing the different versions to see which runs best.... and here I just got my Longhorn Beta 3 DVD.... decisions, decisions....

20. senior98

senior98 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 8800GT 512mb
    Soon as my main computer is running again I'll be folding on it and my athlon for guru :)